Drifting problems / white LED

iceman

Iceman,

Exactly what issues are you having with the Wookong? Your comments about an "obvious issue" with the wookong is interesting. I am a DJI dealer and I support what I sell. I have many happy customers flying their multirotors fine. The issue with the white flashing LED is mentioned in the manual. It is a stability issue within the control system generally caused by vibration or mounting issues with the IMU. Seabas600 mentioned that he is flying in -2 temperatures. That could be part of the issue. If he did not stabilize the temperatures of the gyros before taking off there will be an issue. If you go from a warm environment, (coming from a car or house) then go out and fly it in the cold it will become stable as it cools down. That happens with most Gyros. The white led can also be caused by a weak mount. You need to firmly mount the IMU on no more than a .5MM tape. We also put a tie wrap around the unit just in case the tape comes loose. You also should balance your props and motors. The motors will be rapidly changing rpms during operation and an out of balance prop will cause unpredictable vibrations at different speeds. These motors are turning quite fast so vibrations do cause issues. You also need to make sure that your position settings are done properly and you have the proper sign in your numbers.

All of these so called issues are covered in the manual and in many posts on all different forums. If you'd like to discuss your specific issue please feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to assist you. I also can make sure that DJI is aware of your concerns.

Lou

I'll send a PM, but please be assured I am not slating DJI, I just think there may be problems. It does not help when the manual is somewhat lacking in clear english at times.

plingboot

i've been getting the white light a lot on my wkm/flamewheel build.

all i need to do is fly it directly to/from me, in a straight line and quickly bring it to level and the LED will flash white.

if i fly it from side to side, this also gets a white flash.

looking at the LED page on the manual, i noticed that the white LED is now noted - it wasn't previously - which gave me the impression that the white has more indication functions than it previously had.

So in short - should i/we be seeing the white LED regularly or is it an indication that 'something' is wrong?

Wavev

Gentlemen.....I have figured out how to cure the GPS drift and white lights.

In order to tune out vibration besides the obvious (prop balancing, motor balancing, compass collaboration, etc...), I suggest the following.

Step 1
Using the the software, restore all settings to default. The high gains values in previous firmware are no longer necessary in firmware 5.02. The default gains for both basic and Att are optimal on the x650v4. I tweaked the disturb gain to a setting of 200.

Step 2. (Very Important)
Many of you adjust the basic and att settings and tune by eye until until there is no vibration on the frame. I have found that by using a 15 inch gps mount stick, wobbles/vibrations are transparent to the eye. Small vibrations that escape the eyes during conventional tuning methods are exposed. Adjust the gains using this technique and the white lights will magically disappear.

Step 3.
Turn up the disturb gain for a perfect GPS position hold.

Note: I have found that the att and gps modes have virtually no vibration using this technique.

Sebas600

MR works fine again. Refitted the GPS to it's original position under the dome. Haven't seen white for couple of flights now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

iceman

In order to tune out vibration besides the obvious (prop balancing, motor balancing, compass collaboration, etc...), I suggest the following.

Step 1
Using the the software, restore all settings to default. The high gains values in previous firmware are no longer necessary in firmware 5.02. The default gains for both basic and Att are optimal on the x650v4. I tweaked the disturb gain to a setting of 200.

Step 2. (Very Important)
Many of you adjust the basic and att settings and tune by eye until until there is no vibration on the frame. I have found that by using a 15 inch gps mount stick, wobbles/vibrations are transparent to the eye. Small vibrations that escape the eyes during conventional tuning methods are exposed. Adjust the gains using this technique and the white lights will magically disappear.

Step 3.
Turn up the disturb gain for a perfect GPS position hold.

Note: I have found that the att and gps modes have virtually no vibration using this technique.

Do you actually mount the GPS on a 15" stick or are you just using this as an additional visual aid only?

meme

japp that is annoying especially if you want to keep the frame in balance.

Seb to your question before. You will have to give up pitch control until you found your right gains if you want to trim them with X2 and X3. In the auto pilot setting give normals gains those that you want to change X2 and attitude X3 or vice versa, and the camera gimbal if you dont want to deactivate it completely gain 0 i think its called for the manual control speed or deactivate the gimbal completly for you tests.

Thats what i meant before with strapping down you IMU. The frame and IMU are fixed to each other solidly. There is nothing the one does without the other !

Thanks for posting this, Boris, i am already trying to figure out some Problems i have with Atti/GPS Hold. I use only double sided Foam Tape for now. One Question: Befor i'll fix the IMU with Cable Ties to the Plate, should i remove the Tape? Or is better Tape AND Cable Ties?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

White light issue

I completed a build of an Xaircraft DIY hexa frame. The only time the white light comes on for me is when there is a disturbance to the balance of the craft. I picked up the craft while testing the gimbal response to movement and after awhile of tilting the craft in different directions (motors powered off) the white light would strobe intermittedly. The white light would stop after setting the craft down after my test.

The white strobe also came on when I flew the craft in a small room. The rotor wash bouncing off of nearby walls caused a lot of turbulance for the craft. The white light would also intermittedly come on.

What I've seen so far is normal and predictable under the conditions in which it was flown. I use Scotch "Outdoor Mounting Tape" to keep the IMU and other components in place (including the DJI esc). The tape is rated for "5 pounds", is extremely strong, but allows me to pry the components off craft (takes awhile) without damage.

Xaircraft DIY Hexa frame
Avroto motors 2814/11s (had to increase size of Xaircraft motor mounts for clearance of the shaft's retaining pin)
30a DJI esc
Photoshipone "esc power distribution board"
DJI Wookong M (Love the ease of installation)

Testing different power configurations: 1 6000 mah lipo battery or two 2500 lipo batteries in parallel.

Anyway.... I'm keeping my eye on the white light occurance and will update if/when I see issues.