don't use DJI props they snap 8"

Yes I did.
Actually, I was just pondering about this; maybe I didn't tighten the props enough?
My theory is, that if there's just a tiny bit of play and the motorshaft gets a chance to rotate inside the hub, the flats on the shaft will force the walls of the hub apart and cracking it?

These were all new props. Put them on the multi, waited for the Loctite to cure, flew maybe a minute or less and they flew apart / cracked!

a944734

!! Do NOT use Loctite (any type of). It is a proven fact that the plastic of the DJI props is cracking as soon as they get in contact with Loctite !!

Just tighten the nut by hand using the included tool with reasonable force, don't use excessive force.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, you might be right:
Loctite 222: this product is not normally recommended for use on plastics (particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result). Users are recommended to confirm compatibility of the product with such substrates.
I think I'll ditch the propnuts and switch to locknuts instead.

But what about all the other stories I've been reading, about Dji and Xaircraft props (which apparently are the same) exploding in mid air? All due to using Loctite?

rwijnhov

I never use loctite. And mine came donw due a broken prop and one other was broken at the hub. These props are just bad. Get some graupners.

I did a bit of searching on the net and found a lot of info concerning Loctite degrading plastics, so it could be a factor.
I took off the props I had allready installed, cleaned the motorshafts and put a new pair of 10" props on with locnuts.
I'm going to give the Dji props one more try.
In the meantime I've got some carbon reinforced props from Flyduino and two sets of Graupner E-props coming my way.

Waiheke

Is it possible that the nut is tightened too much?
It is my understanding that it is the "Flats" that prevent the prop from rotating on the motor shaft.
The nut is only to keep the prop on the shaft, there is not much surface area for the prop to lock onto, in a gasser there is a
large hub area for the nut to force the prop onto to keep it from rotating.
If there is no area for the prop to seat against then overtightning may split the hub of the prop.

I took the Flamewheel out for a spin this afternoon. Went through two 4000 Mah packs, even cartwheeled it one time, and the props are still in one piece.
I used a broad metal washer and a locknut to keep the props on. Tightened them down with a nut screwdriver using just the tips of my fingers as to prevent applying too much force.
So maybe it was the Loctite after all?

rwijnhov

micropuller you naza is verry new first make like 80 -100 flights with it and then check the hubs. I too at first thaught there was nothing wrong with the dji props. Till after about 80-100 flights one snapped and I checked the rest and one had a crack at the hub. I never used locktite.

You're probably right, I think I'll exchange these props with the Graupners that I've got coming my way.
What is the expected lifetime of a set of props anyway (considering you don't hit something with them)?
80-100 flights sounds like quite a lot (that's something like 15-20 hours), isn't it wise to put on a fresh set every once in a while?

Last edited by a moderator:

rwijnhov

Good props like graupner don't need changing only if you break them. And after let's say 15-20 years they will get brill.

nosedive

I dont like the sound of the DJI props randomly breaking. Looks like I might buy some 10" graupners. Does anyone know the specific model number I need and if you can buy these in the UK?

Also do they fit on the DJI motors. I dont want to have to drill them out or anything. Also are nylon locking nuts recommended... I read about possibility of stripping the thread on the motors. I dont know if this applies to the DJI motors.

So many questions sorry! Just a lot of paranoia about props breaking in mid flight or spinning off!! I shouldnt have to worry about such things while flying!

Thanks for any guidance.

The Graupner props are called Graupner electro prop 10"x5" (G1326.10X5) and Graupner electro prop 10"x5" counterclockwise (G1326.10X5L). For some reason, one of them (I think it's the G1326.10x5) is very hard to come by at the moment.
They should be a direct fit on the Flamewheel motors. Here's a UK based shop that carries them: http://www.electricwingman.com/

nosedive

thanks for that, do they have the square hole like the dji props to fit on the motors or will they be round and be held down solely by the prop nut?

Tahoe Ed

They are round and a tight fit on the motor. They hold well with just the nut. Be careful when holding the prop while tightening the nut. I cut my finger on the prop. They are very sharp.

thanks for that, do they have the square hole like the dji props to fit on the motors or will they be round and be held down solely by the prop nut?