Does Zenmuse REQUIRE a DJI flight controller?

snurre

Hey, Zenmuse experts out there...

I know that the Zenmuse user manual shows that a CAN cable connects the Zenmuse to the DJI flight controller (WKM/ A2).

But what if one would like to use the Zenmuse on a copter that uses a non DJI flight controller - would that work?
Or in other words - can the Zenmuse do it things independently - without the WKM/A2 connection?

/ Tom

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yep, needs DJI FC. There has been talk about the H3-3D doing standalone mode, not sure if that is really the case or not so get googling.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it sure does. the gimbal will pull info (camera tilt for example) via the flight controller's canbus hub and there's isn't a way that i know of to put that directly into the gimbal controller.

it would be great to have one work with other controllers but DJI doesn't seem to see a need to do that at the moment!
Bart

ChrisViperM

Hi snurre

The Zenmuse definitely needs a DJI flight controller....There are some videos on youtube where people just connect the Wookong IMU to the Zenmuse, but these vids are all handheld. A week ago I was playing arround with my Zenmuse (for Sony 7) and had the idea to mount it to my Skyjib X4, but the flight controller on the X4 is a ZeroUAV YS-X4....so while the Zenmuse was still on the DJI S800, I was playing arround to find out what my options are, and interesting enough, when I was twisting the Wookong GPS, the Zenmuse started to pan/yaw....so you would need the whole Wookong setup to make the Zenmuse work. On the Alexmos 32bit board you have a similar option to connect it to the gimbal ports of any flight controller to make it more accurate, but I never came that far....Alexmos is too much tinkering for me. I have a Phobotic gimbal controller still in the box and should fit it next week, but my absolut favorit is the Freefly MöVI M5.....it can't get any easier. I would stay away from a Zenmuse which is too much restictive in terms of camera you can use, and the moment you have a problem with the Zenmuse, you are - bluntly speaking - shafted.....Freefly service is just great and their product is at the moment just the best you can buy.

PS: The MöVI doesn't need any Flight Controller and is a great handheld gimbal as well....To be honest, I have no clue why people even think about bothering with a Zenmuse....

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I tried putting a whole Wookong, MC, GPS, IMU etc onto the gimbal and flying it (the purpose being to avoid all electrical contact from gimbal to flight controller for safety reasons, not that the zen setup is unsafe at all, I was just playing so to speak) and whist the gimbal worked as soon as any movement occurred it drifted not just horribly but uber badly so I concluded that the Zen takes a heck of a lot of info from the FC in order to work as it should.

snurre

Well, you all seem to agree that if at all possible it would not be a great idea to try to use the Zenmuse without a DJI FC.
Thank you guys for the elaborated replies.

Chris, yeah, I like the MöVI but it is to pricy for me :dejection: