Does RTH coordinates resets to new location if I take out the battery?

abonto

Hi guys,

I just did an Xterra triathlon event last weekend, and I'm flying my hex in different locations. I noticed that after I unplugged the battery and go to a different location and replug the battery, the light is just green. It didn't go to that satellite search mode before going green (even if the battery was disconnected for about 10-15mins). Now my question is, in-case of an accident, will my hex fly back to the new location where I replug the battery or the initial time when it started searching for the satellite? Please advise. Thanks!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
The home location is set when the unit is powered on + GPS or ATTI mode + there is good GPS lock + take off for the first time. You will notice that the BEC LED will flash green repeatedly 5-7 times, this is when your home location has been set.

You can manually set the home location yourself mid-flight. Wait for GPS lock to be good then flick your IOC switch (if you have one set) on/off quickly 3-5 times. You will notice the LED flash green repeatedly 5-7 times to show that home location has been set.

I like to set the home lock location manually for every flight just so I am sure.

See DJI Wiki home-lock section here for more info.

abonto

Hi Hartz,

Thank you for the comment. I read about this too, but I own the Futaba 7C radio & it only has one 3way switch, & I used it on man-atti-gps. And for IOC i used 2 combination switches, which makes it harder for me to quickly switch on/off. That's why I was hoping that unplugging the battery would do the trick. :)

The home location is set when the unit is powered on + GPS or ATTI mode + there is good GPS lock + take off for the first time. You will notice that the BEC LED will flash green repeatedly 5-7 times, this is when your home location has been set.

You can manually set the home location yourself mid-flight. Wait for GPS lock to be good then flick your IOC switch (if you have one set) on/off quickly 3-5 times. You will notice the LED flash green repeatedly 5-7 times to show that home location has been set.

I like to set the home lock location manually for every flight just so I am sure.

See DJI Wiki home-lock section here for more info.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
No problem :)

You should be able to do it with your two combination switch setup, just switch it so that IOC is on/off quickly 3-5 times. You do not need a 3 way switch to do it. I use a 2 way switch for IOC and it works.

Ttelmah

There are two separate 'bits' to locating itself.
GPS has what is called a 'cold boot'. This is when you power it up, it starts listening, and doesn't hear any of the satellites it expects. This happens when the unit hasn't been switched on before (first boot), or has been off for a long time (several weeks), or you have moved a long way (say over 500miles). When this happens, the GPS has to load from the satellites the 'almanac'. This is the data saying what satellites should be visible at a particular time. Now the almanac takes just over 12 minutes to broadcast. However the broadcast is 'overlapped', so if you are seeing eight satellites and they just happen to each be broadcasting 1/8th of the almanac out of sync with each other, you could get the entire almanac in about 1.5 minutes. Conversely the ones in the sky might all be broadcasting the same part of the almanac, and then you get interference just as part is sent, so have to wait for a second time 'round'. So acquiring the almanac, can take anything from perhaps a couple of minutes up to 20 minutes (though with modern receivers that latter is rare).

However, once you have the almanac, if you power up again, even if you have moved, provided it doesn't change the view of the sky very much, you can do a 'warm boot', which takes only a few seconds.

As examples, using an aviation GPS, at a local airfield, powered it up for the first time and it took just on five minutes to get a 'good fix'. Flew 100 miles with it off, and it powered up in under 10 seconds. Then took it over 500 miles _to the east_, and it took over two minutes to get a good fix.

Now key underline on the direction. If you look at the shape of the satellite orbits, moving north/south affects the pattern of them less than going east/west. This is why you will find reference to the units needing to do a cold boot 'if you cross a timezone'.
Now if your change in position was only (say) 40 miles, then it won't affect the boot up speed at all, and if used only a day or two before, the unit will probably have a working lock, before the rest of the system has finished waking up.
This is presumably why you did not see the long delay at your new location.

If the almanac is 99% right, then the the unit will start by listening for a time, then for the satellites it expects. Position within perhaps 50feet, will take less than a couple of seconds, and once WAAS is received, this will drop to only a few feet. The latter is why accuracy of hold etc.., will improve once the unit has been on for a few minutes.

Once you arm, and then advance the throttle to take off, the current position is recorded as 'home'. Even if you were flying only 100' away, and never switched off or removed the battery, it'll be re-recorded when 'take off' is performed.
Since the GPS lock will commonly improve once the copter is airborne, if you are going to fly a distance away, and want to be sure of a good return, re-recording the home location in the air, can help.
The battery doesn't really have anything to do with 'home', except if you have removed it, then you will definately have to take off again, so it will then be re-recorded.

Best Wishes

Dewster

Since battery life is limited, I would like to power my craft up and let it record its position. Keeping the craft powered I want to move it to another location and use the RTH feature. This way Ivan get one long continuous shot vs. short flights. Does anyone think this will work. It's like a waypoint on the cheap. :)

Ttelmah

I think probably it would.
Obviously though you use the power for one take off/landing, and the 'standby' power while you move to the new location.
Easy enough to test. Just do a take off, land, move perhaps 100', take off, and trigger RTH. It'll either come back to your first take off point, or the second. Everything I've seen, suggests the first. I've certainly flown a few hundred feet, landed, taken off again, triggered RTH, and it comes back to where I am standing.
The manual says it is the first take off after six satellites are acquired, that triggers automatic recording.

Best Wishes

abonto

I think I'll do this. So flip the switch from "off to home lock" 3-5 times? Or is it "off to course lock" 3-5 times?

No problem :)

You should be able to do it with your two combination switch setup, just switch it so that IOC is on/off quickly 3-5 times. You do not need a 3 way switch to do it. I use a 2 way switch for IOC and it works.

abonto

Wow! This is really good information. Thank you so much. So how do you do a warm boot on the GPS/Naza? Also, if I understand it correctly, then you're saying that everytime the quadcopter goes down (and with the throttle fully down) & take-off again from that same location the GPS records that as the new RTH coordinates?

There are two separate 'bits' to locating itself.
GPS has what is called a 'cold boot'. This is when you power it up, it starts listening, and doesn't hear any of the satellites it expects. This happens when the unit hasn't been switched on before (first boot), or has been off for a long time (several weeks), or you have moved a long way (say over 500miles). When this happens, the GPS has to load from the satellites the 'almanac'. This is the data saying what satellites should be visible at a particular time. Now the almanac takes just over 12 minutes to broadcast. However the broadcast is 'overlapped', so if you are seeing eight satellites and they just happen to each be broadcasting 1/8th of the almanac out of sync with each other, you could get the entire almanac in about 1.5 minutes. Conversely the ones in the sky might all be broadcasting the same part of the almanac, and then you get interference just as part is sent, so have to wait for a second time 'round'. So acquiring the almanac, can take anything from perhaps a couple of minutes up to 20 minutes (though with modern receivers that latter is rare).

However, once you have the almanac, if you power up again, even if you have moved, provided it doesn't change the view of the sky very much, you can do a 'warm boot', which takes only a few seconds.

As examples, using an aviation GPS, at a local airfield, powered it up for the first time and it took just on five minutes to get a 'good fix'. Flew 100 miles with it off, and it powered up in under 10 seconds. Then took it over 500 miles _to the east_, and it took over two minutes to get a good fix.

Now key underline on the direction. If you look at the shape of the satellite orbits, moving north/south affects the pattern of them less than going east/west. This is why you will find reference to the units needing to do a cold boot 'if you cross a timezone'.
Now if your change in position was only (say) 40 miles, then it won't affect the boot up speed at all, and if used only a day or two before, the unit will probably have a working lock, before the rest of the system has finished waking up.
This is presumably why you did not see the long delay at your new location.

If the almanac is 99% right, then the the unit will start by listening for a time, then for the satellites it expects. Position within perhaps 50feet, will take less than a couple of seconds, and once WAAS is received, this will drop to only a few feet. The latter is why accuracy of hold etc.., will improve once the unit has been on for a few minutes.

Once you arm, and then advance the throttle to take off, the current position is recorded as 'home'. Even if you were flying only 100' away, and never switched off or removed the battery, it'll be re-recorded when 'take off' is performed.
Since the GPS lock will commonly improve once the copter is airborne, if you are going to fly a distance away, and want to be sure of a good return, re-recording the home location in the air, can help.
The battery doesn't really have anything to do with 'home', except if you have removed it, then you will definately have to take off again, so it will then be re-recorded.

Best Wishes

abonto

I agree, testing it will make us more comfortable.

I think probably it would.
Obviously though you use the power for one take off/landing, and the 'standby' power while you move to the new location.
Easy enough to test. Just do a take off, land, move perhaps 100', take off, and trigger RTH. It'll either come back to your first take off point, or the second. Everything I've seen, suggests the first. I've certainly flown a few hundred feet, landed, taken off again, triggered RTH, and it comes back to where I am standing.
The manual says it is the first take off after six satellites are acquired, that triggers automatic recording.

Best Wishes

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I think I'll do this. So flip the switch from "off to home lock" 3-5 times? Or is it "off to course lock" 3-5 times?

It doesn't matter. I have one 2 way switch that is off/home lock. I get the bird in a nice hover without too much wind to knock it around then flick that switch 5 times and away I go. You need good gps lock first.