Do you like the (sharp) Aerial Video, like GH3?

Arrow-Eye

I just joined in the AP industry weeks ago.
May I ask a question here? Please give me your professional suggestions.
As we know, GH3 gives the video very sharp, and 5D is much softer.
What kind of video do you prefer?

maxwelltub

I don't think thats a known fact. Everyone has an opinion, but I think Gh3 is better for aerial. 5D greatly out preforms in certain situations, however most of the places it out preforms the gh3 are not relevant for aerial. And on top of that the gh3 is so much lighter.

We first flew the 5dII and now the 6d but haven't flown a GH3. From the looks of it though the GH3 is gorgeous in the air.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
It has more to do with the lens you are using and your aperture, etc... Our 5d looks extremly sharp but the more expensive lenses are used on it. YOu can get more sharpness for your dollar with a GH3 because MFT lenses cost less in general.

Quinton

I just joined in the AP industry weeks ago.
May I ask a question here? Please give me your professional suggestions.
As we know, GH3 gives the video very sharp, and 5D is much softer.
What kind of video do you prefer?

Forget about what you read..
Video or photography is a matter of personal opinion, whats sharp to one person is different to another.
Colour correction for one person, can be seen as totally different to another.
99% of us would prob never tell the difference, if they seen a video done by a $30k or a $1k camera.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Ill list a few words to you that may mean something to you, or may not mean a thing.

Circle of Confusion, Moiré, DOF, Chromatic Abberation, Aliasing, Latitude, Neutral Density Filters, Vignetting, Sunny 16 Rule..

If you totally know what the above means great, if you don't, don't worry about it.
Don't buy a camera because everyone else says its a great camera, because it doesn't work that way, you need to know how you can get the best out of that camera, as most people wont even notice its problems.
GH3..Great Camera, 5D...Great camera..try and learn the basics first though.

90% of people don't even know why you are supposed to shoot at 1/50th (1/48th) shutter speed or why you need ND filters during the day.
Don't worry about how sharp a camera is, learn the basics of good video/photography, and the rest will follow.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
perfect time to test myself on those Quinton...
DOF and Circle of Confusion go hand in hand. DOF is the area that is within focus and the circle of confusion is the area that is not.
Chromatic Abberation is color fringes, usually a problem cheap lenses have.
ND filters are basically sunglasses for your camera. They darken things during bright daylight so you can shoot with a wider aperture, etc...
Vignetting is loss of brightness or saturation around the peripherals.
You shoot at 1/50th shutter speed because it gives motion blur close to that of what the human eye naturally sees.

How'd I do?

Quinton

perfect time to test myself on those Quinton...
DOF and Circle of Confusion go hand in hand. DOF is the area that is within focus and the circle of confusion is the area that is not.
Chromatic Abberation is color fringes, usually a problem cheap lenses have.
ND filters are basically sunglasses for your camera. They darken things during bright daylight so you can shoot with a wider aperture, etc...
Vignetting is loss of brightness or saturation around the peripherals.
You shoot at 1/50th shutter speed because it gives motion blur close to that of what the human eye naturally sees.

How'd I do?

You passed this time although you left out a couple :)
I was not trying to be a smart ar*e BTW Im just pointing out that people get a camera, stick it in automatic and then they wonder why it doesn't look as good as other people say.
You wont get great results flying a MR if you don't know how to use it, same can be said about a camera...it always helps to learn the basics.

Quinton

Its very hard to tell when its on the web.
I want to know how he got through that tree at the end :)
Noticed they had an ND filter on the lens at the start, when they specifically say not to add any extra weight.
Are you considering getting either of these cameras?

It's all irrelevant if your gimbal is not optimised.

Even small vibrations/buzzing from the motors will blur the image. A gimbal with *zero* motor or external vibration with a $200 camera will give better video than a buzzing gimbal with $10,000 of optics aboard.

Quinton

In the red bull video you see a really good example of Moiré on the building at 27 seconds.
You don't know what the original was like though, or what settings it was shot at.