Dji450 flipping over on takeoff

Zelon

Tried to maiden my dji f450 with Naza GPS.It wants to flip forward on takeoff. Motors have correct rotation ,props are on right.Maybe I was soft starting it, should I pop it in the air and then let it settle in atti mode?

swisser

Motors have correct rotation ,props are on right

Check them again. Keep checking them until you spot the mistake. It'll be one of those two things, or you've got the wrong motor output going to two or motors.

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
If....IF your sure that the rotation is correct on each motor, then I'd suggest throttling the speed up faster and get the copter into the air. The time between on the ground and a couple feet in the air is/can be a very unstable time. You have to get past the ground effect to see the quad stabilizing itself our with your help, stabilizing.

Olemil

If everything is in fact spinning in the correct direction and all the props are mounted correctly, use DJI's suggestion for an easy and safe way to double check before lift off. Just bring your throttle up to maybe 20-25% and very carefully move your aileron stick a little left or right and the MR should start to lift in the direction you are commanding. If that is correct do the same with elevator and make sure the MR responds correctly. It's best to try this in manual mode so the GPS doesn't cause any problems. I did this before my maiden it makes you feel more secure about launching it with out knowing for sure if everything is set up correctly. And yes as Hershey mentioned these things produce a lot of prop wash and it does tend to toss the MR around if you try to hover too close to the ground for very long. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelon

I was thinking the same ,not getting off the ground fast enough.I will try being a little more aggressive with it. Thanks for the info.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Prop rotations are as follows, and I had the same issue as you... props was wrong.

Looking from the back to the front....
M1=Counter Clockwise / Left Rotation with 1045 props
M2=Clockwise / Right Rotation with 1045R props
M3=Counter Clockwise / Left Rotation with 1045 props
M4-Clockwise / Right Rotation with 1045R props

As shown here....
5-30-20137-13-08PM_zps50fbcbae.png

Props..... if you are using the DJI props, there is a number on top of the prop, the 10" is used for 3S Lipos and should have DJI on one side and 1045R or 1045 embossed on them. 1045R go on Clockwise or right rotation, 1045 will go on Counter Clockwise or Left Rotation.

Hope this helps...

Also, check your CG and make sure you're not heavy to the rear. Another thing, make sure your Flight Controller is facing the correct way! your motor outs should face forward.

dji_zps693349dc.png

JP1

Hello, newbie here with a new DJI-F550, having a similar issue.

I am still learning to fly but having a real issue with flipping over on takeoff. Sometimes I have the hardest time it just wants to flip every time sometimes forward sometimes back sometimes left or right. I've tried taking off slowly and rapidly and everything in between, If I try to take off rapidly sometimes the result is a quicker and more violent flip. I don't like that. I've tried taking off Manual, ATTI, and GPS, Still trouble in each mode. Once I do successfully take off it flies perfectly aside from some mild toilet bowl effect.

I've practiced multiple take off and landings over and over, and sometimes I can do 20 perfect takeoffs and think I got it down, then next time it will flip on me.

The best method I have found of dealing with this is to increase the throttle very slowly until it starts to tip. As soon as i see it tip I will counter it with a little stick input and quickly lift off. Once off the ground it's fine.

From what I see online It doesn't appear like anyone else has to take off so carefully.

I've got my GPS XYZ coordinates in correctly, I've checked and rechecked all my configurations and calibrations many times over, Done compass basic calibration over and over and advanced calibration, which it says is not required but I do it anyways.

I don't know if anyone has experienced this or has any Ideas. I would like to learn FPV but If I tried to just lift off by FPV like this I'll be upside down every time.

Any help would be appreciated.

DJI F-550
M Lite+GPS
DJI Stock 10" Props
Futaba T8J
3S 5000 mAh batter on top plate center
Some Cheap Landing gear
Go-Pro currently solid mounted under on landing gear frame
Foxtech 600mw 5.8GHz Xmit and Micro FPV cam.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Are you taking off in GPS mode? have you tried any other mode? is your FC facing the correct way? did you set everything up as per the manual?

Under tools in the assistant software, did you do an IMU calibration correctly? on a level surface and leaving it until it finishes?

JP1

Yes to everything.

As far as Mode I am mostly taking off in GPS mode, I have experimented with Manual and Atti. I spent a whole night doing quick take offs in manual, and once off the ground flipping to GPS. This worked great and I thought I found the trick, but the next day trying the same thing I had some bad flips using this method as well. So the only safe thing I've found is to lift very slowly until it tips and then fly out of it. I can see once it leaves the ground by just a few inches it levels right out and flies just fine. Just leaving the ground is the tricky part.

I don't know if my trim has anything to do with it. When I do a controller calibrate often before I start, the trims are a little out, I can start a new calibrate, but when I click finish the elevator and aileron markers jump a little off center and turn black. If I then apply a little trim adjust to the radio, I can re-center the markers until they light up green. I don't know, just a thought.

It's a new Futaba T8j with r2008sb RX connected to Naza by s-bus cable

JG-rn

Man....I just took a cc3d off and put a naza lite in my qav400 and the damn thing flipped over during takeoff...broke 2 props and a bluebeam 1.3 antenna.

I KNOW I have it setup correctly as I was using a naza (v1) on my disco without any problems. Props are on correctly, x/y/z axis is setup correctly, compass calibration was successful, FC is pointed in the right direction, esc's are calibrated for the throttle range.

JP1

I think I just figured out my issue was in fact the trim settings.

I performed another TX Control calibrate, and after clicking finish, the El and aileron markers jumped a little off center.

A couple of test lifts and it tipped diagonally forward to port each time, pulling back right on the stick would compensate.

I plugged in the laptop again and pulling back right on the stick would center the markers. I adjusted the trim to recenter the markers, did another test and it lifts off perfectly.

My only issue now is why this keeps changing on me. I will have to keep an eye on it.

If I can get it to stop flipping, I can install my Gemfan carbon props. I've just about destroyed my stock props, as well as snapped off the GPS rod already.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
JP1, I presume your CG is correct and your position of your GPS antenna is correct in the software? GPS Antenna location setting is tricky, the Chinese use the red line as a positive number.

Do not use trim on your radio, if your calibration is not right on your sticks, do them again, if they will not center, make sure your radio has no weird mixes going on. If this still continues, do the following...

Shut down the assistant, unplug your battery from the quad, make sure your radio is on, start the assistant, plug battery into quad and calibrate your sticks again.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Did not notice this post on the 2nd page. You will need to be careful with them Gemfans, they are a nice prop but will shatter if you hot anything. Very fragile for a prop.... I have gone through quite a few, but at the price they can't be beat.

JP1

Yup I'm positive I've got my GPS position correct. I just checked again red positive. I did have to put trim in before. but I did once more like you said, and they were not centered but once I hit finish they popped in on center. Still a little weird, but no trim applied now. Well see how it works. I'm getting better at not flipping it with take off technique but ill see tomorrow if this helps.

I think before I was not careful about always turning on the TX first. This may have been messing me up.

I'm still running the DJI 10" props but I bought some gemfans because I read several claims of the DJI props breaking off in flight, though I haven't had a problem yet.

Thanks