DJI Zenmuse GH3 Gimbal

bobdaz

Hi Just paid for the long awaited Zenmuse GH3 from DJI only to find out I have to shell out another 600GBP for a special lens as you cannot use the GH£3 kit lens....the lens I have to buy now is the Olympus m zuiko digital ED 12mm f2.0 on Amazon for as I said around $1000...this is a sneaky move by DJI and I am not to pleased..Anyone else want to comment on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

Well this is consistent with the text on Page 2 of the Version 1.00 User Manual (2013-09-13 Revision) which states that the 'camera type' is 'Panasonic GH3' and the 'lens type' is 'Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0'. If you take a look at the online manuals for the other Zenmuse Z15 models (Panasonic GH2, Sony NEX 5, Sony NEX 7) you will see that only 1 or 2 lenses are listed for each, so for those who were familiar with the earlier Z15 models or who read the Z15 GH3 manual, this lens specification is not a surprise.

While not recommended (by DJI), there are reports of successful re-balancing of older Z15 models to adapt use of lenses other than those originally specified. So you could consider another lens, if you are particularly handy and willing to take accept the risks. Perhaps a future Zen model (or someone else's gimbal) will have the ability to more readily adapt to multiple configurations without sacrificing performance.

Steve

PS: At least the Z15 GH3 is 'only' $2500 vs. $3500 for the earlier Z15 models...

Hi Just paid for the long awaited Zenmuse GH3 from DJI only to find out I have to shell out another 600GBP for a special lens as you cannot use the GH£3 kit lens....the lens I have to buy now is the Olympus m zuiko digital ED 12mm f2.0 on Amazon for as I said around $1000...this is a sneaky move by DJI and I am not to pleased..Anyone else want to comment on this?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Where have you found the Z15-GH3? It was only officially announced last Friday and I don't see it listed on any dealer sites yet?

cbpagent72

I also am a bit disappointed to see that I have to buy that expensive 12mm Olympus lens but on the positive side, I will have that expensive 12mm super nice Olympus lens for my GH3 :)

bobdaz

Well Guys,got my Zenmuse GH3 Gimbal on Tuesday...then lost 3 days of my life trying to sort it....I have had to return it to supplier..Fault is the gimbal will not initialise and keeps rotating anti clockwise forever....Even removed all rc and still had the same fault...hope this is just a rogue gimbal?

rotorvista

Well Guys,got my Zenmuse GH3 Gimbal on Tuesday...then lost 3 days of my life trying to sort it....I have had to return it to supplier..Fault is the gimbal will not initialise and keeps rotating anti clockwise forever....Even removed all rc and still had the same fault...hope this is just a rogue gimbal?

I shall let you know later this week I've just ordered one myself from BYOD

Warmupper

Quick Review of the new Zenmuse GH3.
Disappointing!
First to mention, that we use the Zen as standalone
on an Octocopter with MK electronics. With two Zenmuse15g
modified to GH3 everything is working fine, even with different
lenses.

The new Zen behaves differently.
We have more drift on roll achsis.
And there is a slight drift on tilt achsis also after
panning slowly.

After intitialisation there is a buzzing sound from the
motors. This is also new, never had this on old Zens.

Most annoying thing is, that there is no chance to put
a filter on the 12mm Olympus. We rebalanced the gimbal
with filter, though it is perfectly in COG the motors are buzzing
very loud with a lot of vibrations.
So no chance to shoot with 1/50 Shutter speed even on f22
in sunny conditions. And thats a no go.

We will try to find another position of the camera with filter and
see if there is a chance to make it work.
Otherwise it is useless for us.

In the air there is no improvement, how the gimbal stabilize.
Same like the first Zen. Still no ramping for smooth panning.

We hope to get our modified old Zenmuse with the Blackmagic Pocket
in the air today. Last thing we have to manage is, to integrate
an external converter for progressive HDMI.

rotorvista

i seem to have a problem too. the camera cradle is slightly rubbing on the 2 screws on the frame on the opposite side of the motor so much so that it is sticking. pretty lousy reveiws of the gh3 zen so far :( i haven't got my gh3 camera yet so do not know anymore.

cbpagent72

i seem to have a problem too. the camera cradle is slightly rubbing on the 2 screws on the frame on the opposite side of the motor so much so that it is sticking. pretty lousy reveiws of the gh3 zen so far :( i haven't got my gh3 camera yet so do not know anymore.

I will have to check mine when I get home. The inability to use a filter is a huge boneheaded move by DJI.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

bobdaz

***UPDATE*** Now have a new gimbal thanks to Martin at BYOD,great service as ever...but now have found the Lumix GH3 goes to sleep after 5 minutes? Have tried all the menu settings..no luck?

cbpagent72

I just mounted my camera and lens in the GH3 gimbal and powered it on. It goes through it's warm-up protocol and then levels the camera. Slightly after leveling the camera it starts tilting up to the left till it hits the gimbal arm, while doing this it is making an annoying motor noise. I got it from Aerial Media Pros, I am going to have to shoot them out an email. I feel bad for DJI distributors having to deal with all of the DJI QC issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

bobdaz

***UPDATE*** Found the sleep mode in the gh3,,,Sorted......Bought some teleporter fpv gogs couldn't get them to work with Dji TX/RX set but have taken av out from Rx and 4 pole cable into gogs,works fine now..Velcro hold Rx and battery on back of my Camera guys DX7s..again sorted........Just looking at some of our early stuff with Phantom and H3 2d gimbal...Lichfield catherdral worked ok...YouTube..Phil Dowell Channel.

Tuomas P.

Ok...the HDMI converter on the GH3 did not want to work...so I replaced it with an old one from the GH2 gimbal-works now!
Its not balanced well enough, had to leave the shutter cable out to make it better. Now if it would only stop raining;)

Hi,

We use the GH3 Gimbal with the Blackmagic which works nice. The gimbal is rock solid. Our biggest issue with it is that soft starts don´t work as the gimbal does not react in the TX stick position of -5 to +5 (of the -100 to +100 tx range) and then suddenly starts moving. This was way better with the old Z15 for NEX.

Anyone has the same issue?

Ease in / out (ramping) would be great. As I see only the Movi can do this at the moment.

Greetings