DJI Z15-GH2 on/off record weirdness

Burntpixel

Sent my Z15-GH2 gimbal to DJI Los Angeles and they did a great job servicing/repairing my gimbal.The original issue was no color video picture out wirelessly to my monitor. Now I have a weird thing occurring when I go to hit the record on/off function on my TX.

Once I power up the S800 EVO,I let the gimbal do its dance before turning on the camera. Before I turn on the camera,the little RED light underneath the gimbal blinks red as it should. Once I turn ON the camera,the little light under the gimbal turns GREEN as it should. Camera,s HDMI OUT is set to 1080i

At that time I DO have a COLOR picture being sent wirelessly from the camera over the HDMI cable then through the gimbal,then out through the gimbals GCU,the MKII IOSD,then to the AVL58.

Both color picture and telemetry can now be seen wirelessly on my monitor.

I have assigning to channel 6 on my Futaba T8J TX the far right and top back monetary switch to control the record VIDEO On/Off function. I have Channel 6 out of the Futaba RX wired to the SHUTTER port on the gimbals GCU.

Everything looks good at this point. I have wireless gimbal control and a color picture and telemetry on my monitor.

ONCE I hit the record on/off switch to RECORD video the camera,s screen shows I am recording video,but once I do this the wireless monitor goes black with the exception of the telemetry which is still being shown on the monitors screen. At this time the little light under the gimbal is blinking RED.

In order for me to get a color video picture back on the monitor,I have to power down the whole craft,then repower it. Strange thing is once I do this,I get a color picture back up on my monitor,but the camera has somehow started to record on its own without me using the TX.

At this time when I hit the record off switch on the TX the camera does stop recording,but the wireless monitor goes black again with only the IOSD overlay. Again the light under the gimbal blinks RED.

What could I be missing here? Anytime I hit the record on/off function on my TX the picture on the wireless monitor goes black with IOSD overlay only???

I CAN hit the record on/off button ON THE CAMERA itself and I do have record control and a color picture with telemetry being sent wirelessly to my monitor.

What am I doing wrong here? It appears I am somehow turning the cameras HDMI output OFF when I hit the record on/off switch on my TX??????

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hmm, I replied to your message but thought I'd pop it here too.

I had my HDMI out set to 720p and PAL. Always start the camera after powering on the gimbal/aircraft (looks like you did that anyway).

My money is on an HDMI out setting on the camera.

Burntpixel

Hmm, I replied to your message but thought I'd pop it here too.

I had my HDMI out set to 720p and PAL. Always start the camera after powering on the gimbal/aircraft (looks like you did that anyway).

My money is on an HDMI out setting on the camera.

I have a clean color HDMI signal out in both 720p and 1080i from the camera and through the gimbal system then out wirelessly to my monitor. The only time the picture on the monitor disappears is when I hit the on/off record switch on my TX. Then the monitor goes black yet still shows the IOSD telemetry.

Benjamin Kenobi

HDMI is different when you start recording. Have you tried recording with HDMI out set to 720p? Have you tried PAL? Have you tried a different monitor setting (PAL/NTSC)? Sorry, lots more questions. :)

Burntpixel

HDMI is different when you start recording. Have you tried recording with HDMI out set to 720p? Have you tried PAL? Have you tried a different monitor setting (PAL/NTSC)? Sorry, lots more questions. :)

I tested the HDMI out on the camera while it was still installed on the Z15 by removing the Z15,s HDMI cable from the mix and plugging another HDMI cable into the side of the camera then straight into another HD monitor I have. I still left the Z15 camera control cable in the side of the camera for this test.

With everything powered up,I could hit the on/off record switch on my TX and the camera easily goes into record AND the HD monitor I have connected works perfectly with a nice HD picture.

From this test I know the wireless record on/off function into the camera is triggering it properly. Going straight out of the camera,s HDMI port hard wired into a stand alone HD monitor during this test shows that the camera is passing the HD signal out properly without any interference from the Z15,s camera control cable.

In answer to your question "Have I tried HDMI out set to 720p" Yes I have. It works fine,just as HDMI 1080i does. Tried PAL which also shows a good picture.

All the above camera settings transmits wirelessly to a monitor just fine. IT IS ONLY WHEN I HIT record on/off on my TX that the transmitted picture goes blank on the wireless monitor with the exception of the IOSD telemetry overlay.

Why or how the record on/off function blanks the picture via the Z15 HDMI connection is beyond me.

Benjamin Kenobi

Hmmm, still seems odd.

I found that the HDMI out settings seem to kick in once you hit record.

I'll dig out my old GH2 and see if any settings spring to mind...