DJI WKM Rate Limits with Transmitter when in Manual Mode

This past week I sadly crashed my S800 with WKM, and at the heart of the problem was that the WKM was in Manual mode and I couldn't get it out of it, and I panicked. (It ended up being that the transmitter had another dependency build-in to the signal I was using, and overrode my Futaba SE switch I used to control the mode. I have since corrected that problem, and learned from this sad experience.)
However, the main question I want to throw out to the community is an idea I had for using the rate-limiting capabilities of the Futaba 8FG. What I am thinking is setting up a Futaba Scenario based on the U (ch 7) output of the transmitter, and invoking a -20 to 20 curve if transmitter is commanding U to less than 2/3. In other words, if it's in Manual or Attitude mode, that each of the Rud, Ele, and Ail outputs be limited 20%. The intent is to lessen the authority of my transmitter commands when I'm in those modes so that when panic sets in (which I'm trusting overtime that won't happen as I get more comfortable ) I don't get it out of control.
Does anybody see any problems with this idea? Or other recommendations?