DJI to limit flights over DC and US Borders

Tahoe Ed

Class A airports have a 5mile limited height radius with a 1.8mile no fly zone within that 5 mile radius. Class B has a .6mile no fly zone.

You can look at the map here. http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc I am not sure if all the airports are listed yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_EP

I'm with Angus on this, it's Ok if you can turn it off for professional use, but then what stops the idiot turning it off as well? If you buy a Phantom and like in those areas that's the first thing that's going to happen.

BTW - what happens if I don't upgrade? Will my aircraft suddenly stop flying? :eek:

Class A airports have a 5mile limited height radius with a 1.8mile no fly zone within that 5 mile radius. Class B has a 1.8mile no fly zone.

You can look at the map here. http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc I am not sure if all the airports are listed yet.

Yah- I monitor the website but unfortunately there's no indication as to what airports are scheduled to be included. Class B is noted to have a .6 radius from center in the video. Is the video wrong?

Rocky

I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for a controller for the hex that I'm starting to build up. I'll most likely never fly in those restricted areas, but the fact that I'll be forced not to kinda rubs me the wrong way.

JusticeXD

I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for a controller for the hex that I'm starting to build up. I'll most likely never fly in those restricted areas, but the fact that I'll be forced not to kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Good for you!

One of my brothers was going to plunk down a bunch of money on the new dji rig for his farm until he read that article.

People are going to be pissed when they can't fly their new dji in their backyards because they live in a so called "no fly zone"

This crap is getting way out of hand.

Tahoe Ed

Good for you!

One of my brothers was going to plunk down a bunch of money on the new dji rig for his farm until he read that article.

People are going to be pissed when they can't fly their new dji in their backyards because they live in a so called "no fly zone"

This crap is getting way out of hand.

He lives within 1.8 miles of a Class A airport or .6 miles of a Class B airport? The DC area was already a no fly zone for RC craft. I am confused.

dazzab

Well get used to the idea. If drone manufacturers don't build in some restrictions then the results will be that none of us will be flying. We have more than enough proof now that without restrictions bad things happen. I think DJI is being responsible in restricting where these units can be flown. Keep in mind though that the only way they will know where they are in space is if the GPS is used. So maybe it's as easy as just not flying in GPS mode to get around the restrictions. I'm not sure.

JusticeXD

Well get used to the idea. If drone manufacturers don't build in some restrictions then the results will be that none of us will be flying. We have more than enough proof now that without restrictions bad things happen. I think DJI is being responsible in restricting where these units can be flown. Keep in mind though that the only way they will know where they are in space is if the GPS is used. So maybe it's as easy as just not flying in GPS mode to get around the restrictions. I'm not sure.

Since you agree so much, maybe Dji should implement this for people in Australia and the rest of the world as well.

Dji is going to cut their own throat here in the US. When asked, I don't recommend their product anymore.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I believe that the no-fly zones around airports etc programmed into the NAZA are global. You can't fly a DJI-drone in a no-fly zone regardless if it is in USA, Austraila or Sweden. However, I believe that except for around airports the no-fly zones are only breefly implemented, which means you can still fly it over national parks or military compounds even if you are not allowed to. I think this will change in the future though.

dazzab

Since you agree so much, maybe Dji should implement this for people in Australia and the rest of the world as well.

Dji is going to cut their own throat here in the US. When asked, I don't recommend their product anymore.
IMHO the only reason they put the restrictions in was to protect their market share. When the regulators clamp down on drones because of safety concerns that drones are a risk to air traffic and sensitive areas only drones that have in-built restrictions will be allowed to fly. 3DR are paying close attention to this as well, although I think they are coming up with some strategies that are a bit more intelligent as usual. Stay tuned... BTW, I'm also an advocate that drone flyers should adopt the good behaviour of the model aircraft sector and fly at designated fields under club rules with insurance. If you want to fly in public spaces you really should have some training and insurance. Also, the DJI restrictions are already global.