DJI Spark VS DJI Mavic Pro VS Other DJI drones

Gabriel Yee

Hey there,

I have just finished up my detailed review of the DJI Mavic Pro VS DJI Spark VS Dji phantom 4. In the review I also talked about a bit about the other DJI drones to help you get a perfect idea of which drone to buy!

The DJI Spark flight time of 16 mins, top speed of 31 mph (50 km/h) and an operating range of over a mile (2 km) indicate that this is no ordinary selfie drone. And to sweeten the deal even further it packs a few nonstandard features, like GPS, obstacle avoidance, mechanically stabilized camera, a high resolution down link to your phone so you can even fly FPV and finally it has the latest DJI trick of gesture control which allows you to control the DJI Spark camera with your hand gestures.

But how does the DJI Spark compare to the DJI Mavic?

When the Mavic Pro first launched it was dubbed as the most compact prosumer drone out there. And it indeed was a thing of a beauty. You could simply fold it and slip it into your bag in a few seconds. Now though when you compare it to the DJI Spark, the Mavic is just HUGE!

If you compare the cameras, The spark is capable of shooting in Full HD resolution of 1920×1080 pixels at 30 frames per second for videos and it takes 12 mega pixel images. The Mavic on the other hand shoots 4K videos and produces images at a slightly better 12.35 MP.

Another important issue to consider is the physical stabilization. The Spark has a 2-axis gimbal but the Mavic Pro has a 3-axis gimbal. What difference does this make? Well if you are shooting videos in low wind conditions then there won’t be much of a difference, but if it gets slightly windy then the videos on the Spark will get a bit shaky.

All of this makes the DJI Mavic the winner of this round.

Now for battery life, because the Spark is smaller, it has a much smaller battery and thus will fly for a shorter period of time. but the battery itself is relatively cheap so you can have backup easily.

You can control the spark with some cool gestures to make it take a photo and move around, these are not yet available on the Mavic pro

The operating range for the two quadcopters varies with the way you choose to control them. If you choose a mobile device then the distance will be the same, about 109 yards. However when using the dedicated controller the Mavic Pro can go much farther than the Spark reaching distances of over 4 miles compared to about 1.2 miles for the Spark.

The great thing about buying a drone from DJI is that they are so big and you can find lots of cool add-ons and accessories to make your life that much easier or make your drone that much cooler.

If this is your first drone or simply want a gift for a someone who is not really hardcore about flying then you should get the DJI Spark, it is lightweight, easy to fly and even FUN to control with all the gestures and stuff. Also the fact that it is cheaper does not hurt.

On the other hand, if you have the money to spare and want to do some more serious video shoots then the Mavic Pro is the drone to get because it simply is better on almost everything except for the size and the new shooting mores. And if I would take a wild guess I would assume that DJI will update the software for the Mavic in the near future to include the modes and gestures of the Spark.

You can read the complete article here at dronesfuel.com