DJI S800 unbox

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Is it really that much money compared to other setups ? Okay it will have to prove itself quality wise etc. But lets say its at par with a DW or CS frame but for 1600 $ final price includes ESCs props ( 15" CF they are not cheap) motors landing gear.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Is it really that much money compared to other setups ? Okay it will have to prove itself quality wise etc. But lets say its at par with a DW or CS frame but for 1600 $ final price includes ESCs props ( 15" CF they are not cheap) motors landing gear.

The big difference is cost of replacment parts, a new ESC for my Cinestar is $15 or less and I don't have to buy it from a single source, i.e. DJI. Same for most of the other parts on it, with the S800 you have to buy from DJI and that severely limits the availability and how quickly a replacement might be obtained, not good if time is a factor in getting a job done.

It is impressive looking, I'll give it that, but I'm going to stick with what I can repair with what I have on hand or can get equivalent parts for from whatever source has what I need, I'm not a big fan of single vendor and closed source systems.

Ken

Ken
You can alway de-solder the cable from the built- in ESC and connect your $15 ESC. I guess this S800 is for people that dont want to do their own soldering, or ESC firmware flashing. For people in AP business, they should alway carry few spare arms.

Tahoe Ed

I saw on another forum that the spare arms are $240+/-. Now if you are shooting a $8k job, a few hundred dollars is cheap insurance. I also saw that the props are $70/pair. I cannot afford to crash this thing.

I am convinced, DJI are the Apple of the MR world, I didnt think I could get excited about so much polymer and carbon put together in such an awesome functioning kit!

DennyR

If your likely to crash it don't buy it. The cost of the camera is going to be expensive also. It's a high end product for those who are in the business of high end filming. Plenty of cheaper stuff for the hobbyist who just want to have some fun. There are a lot of good pro aerial shooters out there already, some cant make a living these days. The notion that getting one of these is going to make you a good living without years of experience and an existing portfolio of outstanding work is pie in the sky.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I wouldn't get crazy about this 240$ replacement price that was stated. We don't know what it includes is it only the arm the arm and the esc the arm esc motors and prop. If its all of it than the price again docent shock me, compared other comparable frame motor setups.

Kilby

I have to admit, I was doubting this model for a while, but I'm really changing my mind. I still want to see it in use, but it really seems to be shaping up nicely.

The cost of the model itself is not what is so bad, it's the total package with the gimbal that's expensive. I guess you could always put a different gimbal on if you want. It will be interesting to see what hits the market in the coming months.

-Terry

jhardway

I agree I am very impressed with the way we are seeing it put together. I can not wait to play with it when it comes