DJI Phantom

mnuser

I have been reading on here for some time now. I think I'm ready to jump in and purchase. I think I'm going to get the DJI Phantom. I have never flown before. If I take it slow and do a lot of watching and reading will I be able to fly the Phantom? From what others have said it seems to me that it as a pretty easy learning curve.

mnuser,

You are going to have a blast with the phantom. I bought on a few weeks ago and realy love it. It is a tough unit that will survive any crashes that a beginner will encounter. Mine survived an 800 foot fall and had zero damage.

Good luck and enjoy.

mnuser

Yea. I think it will be pretty fun. I teach photography and video editing at a middle school so it will be a perfect fit. I'm really interested in teaching myself and seeing how steep the learning curve is. I might try and see if I can get half a dozen of them at turn it into a fun morning STEM class for 7/8 grade students. We could use them for some many applications in the science classroom since the school maintains it's own 80 acre forest right on campus. There as sooo many applications in regards to teaching and learning. Now, if I can teach myself to fly and become proficient it might open some other doors.

I would love to be able to use the Phantom to capture pictures at our next balloon launch as well. That would be a neat touch.
http://hab.forestviewmultimedia.com

Last edited by a moderator:

mnuser,

Learning curve is not steep at all. Great idea to have your students learn with it as well. I did check out your ballon videos and have to say those were very cool. What were you using to track them down once they landed?

mnuser

We use a variety of tools to track the balloon while in flight and once it is on the ground. They usually burst between 85,000-100,000 feet and we are able to "talk" the balloon's payload while in flight using radio technology. Once on the ground, we deploy a device via cell phone that has been sleeping in the payload and it calls us and relays its physical location to use via Google Maps. We can then drive to it and locate it. It is a great after school STEM class and the kids who sign up love it. They do all the design and research for the payloads and then learn about all the technology on board so they can run and operate it all. We like to use iPads and iPhones when we track and while we are talking to the balloon's payload.