DJI Phantom Question

Do any of the other Phantom owners have the same problem I do? As soon as I lift off I get a 15 foot drift to the right. Additionally, I have been having the same problem of drifting to the right everytime I fly.

Any thoughts as to how to fix this?

Hey Brian are u in gps mode if not it will drift also make sure the imu is warmed up and mke sure the compass is properly calibrated if there is any red lights don fly it if you do be careful because it will fly away. You should only have Yellow and green lights the guy that sells them here in Cali. Took mine that was drifting and he took it on a high speed run and gave It back to me and it was fine after that the warmed up the imu and the gps hold was within 3 inch circle hope this helps lmk George

George,
Thanks for the reply. The thing about it is I am in GPS mode, I do let the IMU warm up, the compass is calibrated and I never fly with anything red. Somewhat aggrivating.
Brian

Hey Brian are u in gps mode if not it will drift also make sure the imu is warmed up and mke sure the compass is properly calibrated if there is any red lights don fly it if you do be careful because it will fly away. You should only have Yellow and green lights the guy that sells them here in Cali. Took mine that was drifting and he took it on a high speed run and gave It back to me and it was fine after that the warmed up the imu and the gps hold was within 3 inch circle hope this helps lmk George

I feel ya I'm sending mine back in tomorrow it has taken 3 really hard hits and I don't trust this thing at all , I hope they will replace this instead of repairing it . We did recalibrate the compass which helped but after a few flight it took off again . The guy that has been helping me really understands these things and he took mine out and flew it really hard and it settled down , keep I mind even when it is in gps mode it will drift around a little bit but should stay within about a 4 inch circle . Also try to recalibrate the compass out I the middle of the yard far far away from metal or magnets , I will take my iPad to the field tommorow and show him your post to see if he has any ideas , and if you want I will tell you what they found at dji if you want ,keep in mind I'm no expert just having fun and learning,so we all have our own opinions and ideas I'm just tryin to help a brother out if I can have a great night George

bonerfortuna

I feel ya I'm sending mine back in tomorrow it has taken 3 really hard hits and I don't trust this thing at all , I hope they will replace this instead of repairing it . We did recalibrate the compass which helped but after a few flight it took off again . The guy that has been helping me really understands these things and he took mine out and flew it really hard and it settled down , keep I mind even when it is in gps mode it will drift around a little bit but should stay within about a 4 inch circle . Also try to recalibrate the compass out I the middle of the yard far far away from metal or magnets , I will take my iPad to the field tommorow and show him your post to see if he has any ideas , and if you want I will tell you what they found at dji if you want ,keep in mind I'm no expert just having fun and learning,so we all have our own opinions and ideas I'm just tryin to help a brother out if I can have a great night George

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your gyro. It needs to be done anytime you take a hit. I do mine regularly . Its in advanced tools and very easy, there is a tutorial on it on the DJI videos . Good luck.

Thanks for the info boner I already sent it in I will do the gyro calibration when I fly the one that comes back unfortnaly it has taken off on me 3 times even with the dealer there so he was able to watch it and plug it in and check all of it out he has the same policy that I do is 3 time is the limit than it goes back, I have only had total of 24 minutes of flight and it has taken off every time and the last one it found the windshield of my truck, so my
Sat fight cost me $254.00 and I keep in mind it is a flying computer thing can go wrong . By no means am I disappointed at all just want my toy to fly and not be a danger to any one :) when it comes back it is on like donkey kong thanks for your help George

Tahoe Ed

keep I mind even when it is in gps mode it will drift around a little bit but should stay within about a 4 inch circle

I am not sure where you got that. Even military grade does not have that precision. Think more like 1-1.5 meters and you are closer to the truth.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've had my DJI gps lock on to a pretty damn tight circle before. Maybe 1' max. But it's not all gps, they use some inertial compensation to achieve this. Whatever it is it is very good when setup correctly. Not that I am an advocate of DJI at all, I hate what they are doing to the market, but their gps and AH are superior.