DJI Phantom 2 Vision + "Fly Away"

Would you support a class action lawsuit against DJI for the "Fly Away" problem?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

harens

I have had my Phantom Vision Plus for 6 months and have really liked it. I consider myself an experienced pilot with it and it is my third multi rotor machine. Recently I used it (on New Years Day) at my cabin. It was on a beautiful winter day about 36 degrees and little wind. I always calibrate the compass and never have less than 6 satellites. I had 8 this day and felt really good about the opportunity to fly it in the wintertime. I let it warm up a couple of minutes and then after my normal checklist was completed, I lifted off. Normally, I lift it to about 10 feet and let it hover for a minute of so checking my phone, remote control etc. However, this time it did not stop. It went almost straight up till it got into a bit of wind (about 500-600 feet). I have never had it over 430 feet. It then almost immediately took off in a single direction at very high speed (at least 15+ miles per hour - estimate). My son-in-law chased it for about 1500 feet before both of us lost sight of it. I had shut my remote off when it initially went vertical ...so about 5 - 10 seconds after liftoff, but it did not react at all. It just continued on its way. I suspect it is now in a tree top anywhere from 5-10 miles from my cabin. I had heard of this "fly away" before and since I have found many many credible instances on the internet. There are a few good videos of why this occurs that make perfect sense to me even including a "reasonable resolution for DJI".
There is even a facebook page dedicated to the issue. https://www.facebook.com/djiflyaway

Is there any effort underway to take DJI to task on this issue. It is IMHO an avoidable issue that is not even talked about in any dji shipped documentation. How about a class action suit by those of us that have lost a lot of money - in my case $1300!