DJI New Feature protection in event during X6 loss of motor.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Looks bloody ropey to me. THAT has just sealed my indecision over whether to put up with an SJ800 as an airframe for a Zenmuse. I will stick with eight motors, thank you very much.

LowFlier

I assume the FC isn't really aware that a motor has failed. It seems to me that the best solution would be to monitor the motors for rotation and when one fails, the opposite gets shut down as well. Then the remainder are throttled up to take up the slack and an orderly but immediate landing ensues. Just my 2¢.

Gee.... That makes a lot of sense! Why would't they proceed that way??? Granted, DJI feature 400 grams of weight per motor i.e. DJI F450 max T/O weight 1600 grams and DJI F550 max T/O weight 2400 grams, so if you get a broken prop on a F450 and shut off the other motor you may end up with 1600 grams and only 2 motors running. But, as you stated, max output of these 2 motors for 15 secs for emergency landing will sure yield better results than a 50 ft drop!!!

My Canadian 2¢ (Ha! Ha!)

LowFlier

I kinda assumed that my idea would be useless with a quad, but I think it would work OK with a hex and even better with an octo.

blbills

Looks good, but how about us with octo's?
No need for an Octo :) A good controller with no special code can handle a single motor outage on an Octo.

Having a decent understanding of flight controllers (my full time job) what they are displaying is actually rather remarkable. For the WKM to handle that kind of rotation rate and still be able to maneuver around is complementary.

harpia

Bizarre, DJI removed the video from its YouTube channel.
I asked them if it was also available for Octos and they told me just to hexacopters.

Dewster

I hope we didn't put them off with our comments here.

That is strange. I liked seeing how that feature worked. I read about it in the manual and couldn't believe what I was reading. It made sense after seeing the video. I just wanted to know how the flight controller sensed that a a motor was out and if it would be the same if a prop was broken.

I built a Y6 after my flat hexa crashed due to a prop breaking (Gemfan 10x4.7 carbon fiber snapped at hub). Seeing my craft rotate 90 degrees and then drop from the sky was unnerving. I was thankful that I didn't cause property damage and that it landed in the woods. I built the Y6 hoping for more control in the event of a prop or motor failure, but my craft has less flight time because of the configuration. I briefly thought about converting back over to a flat hexa after seeing the video, but now it's gone. MIA (missing in action). What's up!?