DJI "NEW" 10" Props

So I've been gone for a while and came back to some very interesting and updated DJI products...One thing I noticed was some dealers carrying a "new" DJI prop...I know their old ones cost thousands of dollars of damage to the users of this community but I was wondering if anyone has tried out the new one...

I didn't see a thread on this doing a quick scan so sorry if i'm hitting a topic that's already been covered.

Thanks,
Brett

This was one of my big gripes with DJI, their 10" and 8" props were poorly designed and would sometimes shear off due to centrifugal force. Brett, you noticed as I did that the revised quality props have emerged unannounced. I never heard of a word from DJI about the huge number of failures, not surprisingly I suppose, the Chinese have never been quick to come forward with the truth.
However, I have used the new, better physically engineered blade but bottled out once I put a vtx and GPS onboard. Too much money up there with potentially crappy blades, I have learned my lesson. So, I'm back on with my trusty Graupners 10x5

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Couple of other forums are still saying these "new" props are still breaking in flight! What is DJI thinking of? If you ask me, This is DJI's biggest downfall, and the extreme prices.

glacier51

On the strength of the DJI video I installed some of the 1038 props. First flight was last week for about 5 minutes to look at the power required, since DJI claims 10% better efficiency - more thrust, less power draw - whatever they mean.

Anyway, hovered at my normal 55% collective. I fly at 6300'. I replaced some APC 1045s with these DJIs. For the first installs, I'm not gonna trust them for very long. I got 4.5 hours from the original upgraded thicker hubbed style DJI props before one shattered through the hub - left nothing on the motor. I'm gonna fly these 1038s for 5 hours and trash them. They're cheap enough to replace on a schedule.

Ron

Alright guys I've got the props and have tried them! I wish I would have found that video before hand...Anyway I'm completely satisfied with these new props so far! It's a night and day difference between the old and new when flying. The new props are a ton stiffer!

Now I was one of the lucky ones and had never had the old blades explode on me in flight. But the new ones are noticeably different and more stable.

I cannot compare these to anything else other than the old DJI props. But for the price of two you can still get them cheaper than a single graupner blade...

Thanks for all of the info!

abonto

Alright guys I've got the props and have tried them! I wish I would have found that video before hand...Anyway I'm completely satisfied with these new props so far! It's a night and day difference between the old and new when flying. The new props are a ton stiffer!

Now I was one of the lucky ones and had never had the old blades explode on me in flight. But the new ones are noticeably different and more stable.

I cannot compare these to anything else other than the old DJI props. But for the price of two you can still get them cheaper than a single graupner blade...

Thanks for all of the info!

Did you check the balance and hub balance? I'll probably just get this also. Gemfans are okay, but they're still brittle. Graupner are just too expensive.

snurre

So DJI have employed a dedicated propeller stomper guy. Just to assure that every single propeller delivered is thoroughly stomped and mistreated. That explains a lot... :highly_amused:
Reminds me about the denim/jeans industry, they got us (well, not me...) paying extra for ready worn ragged clothes sold in the shops.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
This was one of my big gripes with DJI, their 10" and 8" props were poorly designed and would sometimes shear off due to centrifugal force. Brett, you noticed as I did that the revised quality props have emerged unannounced. I never heard of a word from DJI about the huge number of failures, not surprisingly I suppose, the Chinese have never been quick to come forward with the truth.
However, I have used the new, better physically engineered blade but bottled out once I put a vtx and GPS onboard. Too much money up there with potentially crappy blades, I have learned my lesson. So, I'm back on with my trusty Graupners 10x5

Their props do break, they are HORRIBLE and I've said that a couple thousand times now I think lol. The slow fly props are garbage too unless you have a light weight multi. Whatever...either way I like my APC props and they never break and they're about a dollar or 2 and are as good as Graupners.

From yesterday...

Last edited by a moderator:

Where did you [/COLOR]bought yours?

I purchased mine from Robert at http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=127

@abonto
I just threw them on real quick to see if there was a visible difference. I'll be checking the balance tonight. But from the sounds of the rotor they seem to be pretty decent.

@helloman1976
I think you're missing the point here. We can all agree the old DJI props are awful. I am not a DJI fanboy by any means but i'm just trying to see if the new props can be more beneficial to those of us that don't wanna spend $10+ per prop. Personally I don't like the fact that I have to step out APC props to get them to fit on the stock DJI motors. To much room to severely get them off balance.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I purchased mine from Robert at http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=127

@abonto
I just threw them on real quick to see if there was a visible difference. I'll be checking the balance tonight. But from the sounds of the rotor they seem to be pretty decent.

@helloman1976
I think you're missing the point here. We can all agree the old DJI props are awful. I am not a DJI fanboy by any means but i'm just trying to see if the new props can be more beneficial to those of us that don't wanna spend $10+ per prop. Personally I don't like the fact that I have to step out APC props to get them to fit on the stock DJI motors. To much room to severely get them off balance.

First thing you should do is remove those motors or settle on using only Graupners...it's either or. There are 2 props out there in the 10" size, APC and Graupner. Now, if you want wodoen props that's different. Stick with what works and is known to work, the old props were garbage and the new ones might be great but you know for sure the APCs are. Stick with what works, save some money...

First thing you should do is remove those motors or settle on using only Graupners...it's either or. There are 2 props out there in the 10" size, APC and Graupner. Now, if you want wodoen props that's different. Stick with what works and is known to work, the old props were garbage and the new ones might be great but you know for sure the APCs are. Stick with what works, save some money...

Thanks for your input. I definitely have thought about changing out my motors.

I was just curious why you think it's the only choice out there? What do you think of this option?

http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=178&cat=GemFan+Carbon/ABS+Mix+Prop

It seems to me like someone has to try new things. Otherwise how would we move forward with technology?

Thanks, Tony

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Thanks for your input. I definitely have thought about changing out my motors.

I was just curious why you think it's the only choice out there? What do you think of this option?

http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=178&cat=GemFan+Carbon%2FABS+Mix+Prop

It seems to me like someone has to try new things. Otherwise how would we move forward with technology?

Thanks, Tony

I'm sure those would be great for low weight/slow speed props but the design is horrible for high speed electric motors. The reason people choose APC or Graupner is not just because they are made well but because the design allows for high rpms with low tip stall and excellent thrust. For my money, APC is where it's at...you just have to balance them is all. Graupners are probably the best but at $8+ EXTRA dollars each above the APC I'll keep with APC myself. They have never failed me ever even after crashing on them hard. I have broken 3 of them ever and it took concrete to do it.

Nuttzzy

Well I dunno if that's what's coming in the new f550 boxes but when I buried my f550 in the other day. The prop struck the ground multip times had the scratchs. Motor had scratchs. Arm compleety broke but prop never broke just alittle rash. It was at this point I went back in my head thinking bout how "bad" DJI props were and it didn't make since. Personally I want some CF props but. At $15 a pop not sure if I wanna

Beep, Beep, Honk, Honk, Over and Out Rotorhead