DJI needs to get their SH*T Together!!!!

Still pro

Just built and flew my DJI 550 with AeroXcraft Landing gear and GoPro gimbal. Balanced all blades and had 25 clean flights. I had a Prop failure on my 450 a couple months ago. It broke at the hub like many on the forums have before. The LHS told me DJI fixed the problem and updated their props. I guess not cause I just had one break at 144'!!!! Now I have 2 broken arm, A muddy GPS disc, Mud in 2 motors and a few bent props. Also bent some of my Gimbal mount tubes. You can hear the prop break in the video. I am sick of this!! DJI needs to be held responsible for the bad manufacturing of these props. There are way too many incidents of this happening. Here is the flight video. Now the rebuilding begins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVv_xRudghU&feature=youtu.be

DesJardins

Sorry to hear it went down again!

I see is a LHS told you DJI fixed a problem. Is there any release from DJI that they "fixed" the props regidity?

That's why everyone goes Graupner when there is load

Kilby

Do not use those props, period. No matter what anyone tells you. The design of the hub itself is bad, even if they fix the poor plastic issue, the oblong shape of the hub just lends itself to failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

It would be good to have a database of location of where these blades are breaking. what is the air temp.. etc. Reason is that, I am sure the air temp has something to do with it failing sooner then others. I use to work in plastic injection molding.. temp has a lot to do with outcome.

Seems like it is a nice temp, since there are people outside.. strolling around.

Regards,

KS

Still pro

Yes, mid 80's here. When the same thing happened on my 450 it was low 80's. I don't think it is temp related. They seem to break at the same place leaving about a 1/4 left extending from the hub.

Still pro

What's funny is you never see anyone from DJI respond to a forum post. Probably because they are cowards and won't come out from the rock they hide under. I see many manufacturers respond to posts about their products and try to fix the problem. DJI must keeps shi**ing in the bowl and selling it to us.

well reason is that, some times, QA for where those blades my be base on their controlled environment... example, if i was in the cold of artic, it would have a much higher chance of breaking due to the plastic/material they use, versus, in a hot humid location.

I know the break is well known globally, but my point was if we had a document perhaps, detailing location/temp flight time, flight quantity on blade before breaking, it would be beneficial. But I guess DJI would have that info if they were gathering it.

I have flown about 25 hot days, about 2 full flights.. a few beginning crash.. and still on the same blade. though it is all beat up, but since I am testing this.. I don't want to put good blades on it yet.

Wish I had some data to look over. All the current prop failures have inconsistent data information to run parallel to find some common factors... beside just the blades..)

KS

Dewster

well reason is that, some times, QA for where those blades my be base on their controlled environment... example, if i was in the cold of artic, it would have a much higher chance of breaking due to the plastic/material they use, versus, in a hot humid location.

I know the break is well known globally, but my point was if we had a document perhaps, detailing location/temp flight time, flight quantity on blade before breaking, it would be beneficial. But I guess DJI would have that info if they were gathering it.

I have flown about 25 hot days, about 2 full flights.. a few beginning crash.. and still on the same blade. though it is all beat up, but since I am testing this.. I don't want to put good blades on it yet.

Wish I had some data to look over. All the current prop failures have inconsistent data information to run parallel to find some common factors... beside just the blades..)

KS

Until that data is compiled I would stick with majority consensus on reliable prop brands. APC, Graupner, Xoar. They each have their pluses and minuses. Having an unproven brand prop disintegrate in flight is unacceptable. I see more and more of these craft flown in populated areas and it would be disastrous if one crash landed on someone. Prop failures seem to be the biggest cause for crashes as far as mechanical failures go. Lose one and it's almost an assured loss of a craft. :(

tstrike

pendejo grande
How much torque are you using when you tighten the prop nut? I think people are using these copters in ways they weren't designed to be used for. How much stress should a 2 dollar part be subject to before failure? Your copter looked fully loaded and it looked like it took off like a bat out of hell. It sucks that you crashed your rig but if you already had a prop break once and still used the same brand props you can't really blame dji can you? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

agree.. I like to find the root of the problems.. others may just switch brands... like going between Ford and Chevy.. in the USA... there are proned to be problems in any part of a products.. even in software.. sounds lame, but some times software needs to be written to take advantage of multithreads.. etc.. but hardware should be easier to gather factors that are always common.. it may be multiple common things.. but at the moment.. we have "flying, dji props.. both 8" and 10", crash.." not much to work with.. except.. like Dewster and TStrike said.. "change brands".

I have about 36 pairs of graupners, and close to 40 pairs of APC.. I have only 16 pairs of DJI's.. and I am only testing with DJI's since everyone is saying it is breaking. I have been hovering, hovering, hovering, hovering.. flying hard, flying hard, flying hard.. crash 3 times.. due to ESC bullet twitches.. .. props still has not broken. My props are dinged, twisted.. and I can still get smooth enough video on my f550/ Gopro.

but still waiting till my DJI prop breaks.. like the lottery, eventually it will. Then I will put on another set and try, try, try.. same flying pattern and hopefully it breaks around the same amount of flight time. Though it has been about 95-100 F, here.. all summer.. crazy.

then winter comes.. I have enough to see if the cold makes it go 1/3rd the flight time due to the materials shrinking factor.. thus having less flexibility... etc...

I am not saying, one person will have the data gathered, but if there is enough community input, maybe we find that batches having to go to the northern hemi tend to not last.. those users should just should just remove and sell their props to the users in the southern hemi.. etc..

but, sorry to see the prop failed at such a high, nice flight. How did the craft fair.. much break? from the video, seems like it hit everything one the way down and didn't seem to bounce very hard.

KS

tstrike

pendejo grande
You can't expect to change the geometry of the craft by adding a gimbal/landing gear combo and not put undo stress on stock parts. I've never had a dji prop break in mid air, I've flipped, bumped, and plowed blades into the dirt, and in its stock form the flamewheel is so light damage was always minimal.

Dewster

You can't deny the many complaints/videos posted of prop failures. Graupner's have a warning label about max rotational speed. So many things affect the props. Temperature, weight of craft, prop material (plastic, carbon, wood, etc.), prop design: Are the blades formed as one piece like a mold or attached to hubs etc.

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
DJI had a booth at IRCHA last weekend. I specifically asked about the prop issues. Their response focused on over tightening the prop nuts, using loctite, and there being thousands of units flying and a relatively few prop failures. They never mentioned new, improved, re-designed props. I foolishly purchased new DJI 10" props from Heli-Direct after three of those included in my kit failed. "...fool me once..." At least they were cheap. Six cost $12, the price of one Graupner. You get what you pay for, I guess. I now use Graupner 10 inch props. Just curious - do the DJI issues seem to be mostly with the 10 inch props or are the 8 inch versions equally suspect? There seem to be a few folks here having good luck with the 8 inch setup.

If DJI's assertions regarding loctite and over tightening are accurate one would think that the failures would not be depenbdent on prop length.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I know for a fact that these are the exact same props Xaircraft uses. And this is exactly what their reason was when I crashed my 2 hour old "value" x650. Chinese just dont seem to care about quality in a lot of areas. Saving a penny on a prop is clearly more important than reputation or people crashing. And this is why I dont fly Xaircraft or DJI anymore. I will say DJI's electronics are clearly better than their props but they still seem to not care too much about fixing issues, rather adding new ones. And they have 50 software engineers! Hoverfly has 1 or 2. Just shows where the emphasis is.