DJI NAZA M Lite help needed

JPG23

I recently built an S500 frame quadcopter with a DJI Naza M Lite FC and all is well with it now; it flies well, the gains are set and the thing is stable altogether. I'm only experiencing a slight problem with the assistant software; when setting the flight modes, the "scroll" function doesn't work on the "Manual" setting so I'm unable to change the 3rd flight mode to Fail-safe rather than Manual (the option is grayed out). I do not intend to fly on manual mode ever.

I did attempt using the transmitter to change the third setting of the mix switch to fail-safe and it worked; however, when I try to flip it back and forth for compass calibration it won't go into calibration mode.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

XNS

I recently built an S500 frame quadcopter with a DJI Naza M Lite FC and all is well with it now; it flies well, the gains are set and the thing is stable altogether. I'm only experiencing a slight problem with the assistant software; when setting the flight modes, the "scroll" function doesn't work on the "Manual" setting so I'm unable to change the 3rd flight mode to Fail-safe rather than Manual (the option is grayed out). I do not intend to fly on manual mode ever.

I did attempt using the transmitter to change the third setting of the mix switch to fail-safe and it worked; however, when I try to flip it back and forth for compass calibration it won't go into calibration mode.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!
Yo JPG23!
If you didn't find out yet. The Naza-M Lite only has one option for Mode 3 - Manual!!!
I have 2 Naza-M Lite fc's, for calibration I have to move F-Mod stick 11 times (count them), believe it or not to get into compass calibration mode o_O. Works every time!!

JPG23

Yo JPG23!
If you didn't find out yet. The Naza-M Lite only has one option for Mode 3 - Manual!!!
I have 2 Naza-M Lite fc's, for calibration I have to move F-Mod stick 11 times (count them), believe it or not to get into compass calibration mode o_O. Works every time!!
Sorry I didn't give an update on this issue, I resolved it by programming a mix combination with the OIC Home Lock and MIX Manual Mode. This made it possible for me to engage failsafe whit the transmitter on and I'm also able to regain control easily. This is not my best camera work, but here's a video of what I did

XNS

Sorry I didn't give an update on this issue, I resolved it by programming a mix combination with the OIC Home Lock and MIX Manual Mode. This made it possible for me to engage failsafe whit the transmitter on and I'm also able to regain control easily. This is not my best camera work, but here's a video of what I did
No problem JPG!
Now I know why I like you... A Walkera brother!!
I use the Walkera Devo 10 Black and the White versions.
I went through a period where I wasn't too fond of them, but after using and programing other radios, they taught me a lot.
I use to fly the QR X350 Pro (still do once in a while), it came with the Devo F7 but after upgrading to the Devo 10, I never looked back.
Nowadays I only have the Naza lite on one craft, a bumble 550 but with a DX9.
I kept the manual mode as is but used an available switch and mixed that with the FMod switch for FS.
I watched your video, liked and subbed!

JPG23

No problem JPG!
Now I know why I like you... A Walkera brother!!
I use the Walkera Devo 10 Black and the White versions.
I went through a period where I wasn't too fond of them, but after using and programing other radios, they taught me a lot.
I use to fly the QR X350 Pro (still do once in a while), it came with the Devo F7 but after upgrading to the Devo 10, I never looked back.
Nowadays I only have the Naza lite on one craft, a bumble 550 but with a DX9.
I kept the manual mode as is but used an available switch and mixed that with the FMod switch for FS.
I watched your video, liked and subbed!
Thanks, it took me a minute to get used to the Walkera but now I enjoy messing with it cause it's so intuitive, I do plan on upgrading to the Devo10 but want to move the whole setup to an S550 and use retractable landing gear and fpv. That may take a while to accomplish but for now I love it the way it is. I also fly the Yuneec Q500+ now, but I still take my S500 out occasionally.

Oh and thanks for subscribing, I plan on making more videos soon, stay tuned. I'm also interested in making a few videos with instructions on how to mess with the sub-trims and programming on the Devo7 but it's hard to make time for that right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

XNS

Thanks, it took me a minute to get used to the Walkera but now I enjoy messing with it cause it's so intuitive, I do plan on upgrading to the Devo10 but want to move the whole setup to an S550 and use retractable landing gear and fpv. That may take a while to accomplish but for now I love it the way it is. I also fly the Yuneec Q500+ now, but I still take my S500 out occasionally.

Oh and thanks for subscribing, I plan on making more videos soon, stay tuned. I'm also interested in making a few videos with instructions on how to mess with the sub-trims and programming on the Devo7 but it's hard to make time for that right now.

Yeah the Devo TX's makes me think a little differently compared to other radios.
Heads up, there are two versions of the Devo 10, the Black and the White.
The only difference is the White has a longer range.
Everything else is identical.

I'm using both, but my black Devo 10 has a DragonLink TX attached. when I get a little better moving around on this site, I'll upload some images. I'm using the black with my tarot 650 sport and the white on my tarot 650 (but that may change).
Have a good one bro!

JPG23

Yeah the Devo TX's makes me think a little differently compared to other radios.
Heads up, there are two versions of the Devo 10, the Black and the White.
The only difference is the White has a longer range.
Everything else is identical.

I'm using both, but my black Devo 10 has a DragonLink TX attached. when I get a little better moving around on this site, I'll upload some images. I'm using the black with my tarot 650 sport and the white on my tarot 650 (but that may change).
Have a good one bro!
Awesome, thanks for the heads up on the differences of the Devo10 versions, I'll remember that when I get it. As for the frames, I've always wanted to go with a Tarot 650 for a mini dslr setup but it's just a bit more costly than I want to spend right now, mostly since I'm in the middle of getting a new house, so my hobby spending has to be on hold for now.

XNS

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on the differences of the Devo10 versions, I'll remember that when I get it. As for the frames, I've always wanted to go with a Tarot 650 for a mini dslr setup but it's just a bit more costly than I want to spend right now, mostly since I'm in the middle of getting a new house, so my hobby spending has to be on hold for now.
"on hold for now" And rightly so! Good luck with the new home!!

XNS

Thanks, well at least I have something to check out the land and roof condition from a birdseye view with lol
You had me thinking about your setup on the Devo 7 since you wrote you enjoy adjusting the Devo software.
As you know I'm using the Devo 10 but the 7 should be the same.
Forgive me, when I first read this post, I had forgotten my Naza-lite setup.
I haven't used it in several months now. I'm flying with the full Naza-M V2.
Well, I do have a clean FS on the FMOS switch using the naza-lite, see below.

This is a joint update about IOC and FS.
IOC is awesome in and of itself.
You can free up that IOC switch (mixed) and use it exactly as intended.
(I'm assuming you haven't extensively used IOC yet, most people haven't)
as it can mentally break up your orientation and cause a crash.
But that is only because it takes practice, like learning to fly period.

Q. Why use IOC? A. Recovery without FS.
IOC used as it is designed, once you can fly with it. Sometimes my birds loose video and I no longer know my orientation.
I do not want to land and in most cases do not need to initiate FS. No matter what the orientation of the craft is once IOC is activated.
Elevator stick back means the craft is coming straight back regardless of the nose direction...
As with everything else this is if you have properly calibrated your home point before take off.
You are the center of IOC once initialized.

I saw this video 2 years ago and have been using IOC ever since. Before understanding IOC I crashed while in IOC. This was because I knew nothing about flying or configuring my equipment. I had wired a dedicated IOC port for a gimbal tilt. yeah... CRASH. Now intrigued by this I began researching IOC.
Sometimes I'll fly an entire mission LOS in IOC just to stay sharp with it.
But it pays for itself in a real flight situation if I loose my orientation.

This is my post that got me deep into understanding IOC and led me to the above post.

Ok, here we go... you can copy your working program to another blank program number to experiment on the Devo7.
Call it 'testioc" or whatever works for you. Put the IOC switch program settings back to the original state.
Test this in the Naza Lite config software.
To use the FMOD Switch for FS on the Naza-Lite (you'll say, I knew that!!:rolleyes:)
Under the Function menu; Travel adjust; adjust your fmod sw range to stop on FS.
You may need to adjust the 'Sub Trim" to get all of your modes centered.
When correctly done you now have GPS, Atti and FS using only the flight mode stick.
Your IOC should be good and you get a clean IOC port again.
You can then use a mix for FS using an unused sw on the Devo 7, You should have maybe two free switches.
The D/R switch (front right) and maybe that Hold sw on the top left. The 10 doesn't have that the switch at all. But by doing this, no mater what mode you are in you can activate RTH... independent of what mode you are in. You may need to adjust the trim as well.
Just an idea for learning and continued experimenting...

personal footnote:
One thing I don't care for on the Devo 10 is while adjusting a mix I need to back out of the mix setting to see the change.
I don't think my DX9 disables control while adjusting mixes.

JPG23

You had me thinking about your setup on the Devo 7 since you wrote you enjoy adjusting the Devo software.
As you know I'm using the Devo 10 but the 7 should be the same.
Forgive me, when I first read this post, I had forgotten my Naza-lite setup.
I haven't used it in several months now. I'm flying with the full Naza-M V2.
Well, I do have a clean FS on the FMOS switch using the naza-lite, see below.

This is a joint update about IOC and FS.
IOC is awesome in and of itself.
You can free up that IOC switch (mixed) and use it exactly as intended.
(I'm assuming you haven't extensively used IOC yet, most people haven't)
as it can mentally break up your orientation and cause a crash.
But that is only because it takes practice, like learning to fly period.

Q. Why use IOC? A. Recovery without FS.
IOC used as it is designed, once you can fly with it. Sometimes my birds loose video and I no longer know my orientation.
I do not want to land and in most cases do not need to initiate FS. No matter what the orientation of the craft is once IOC is activated.
Elevator stick back means the craft is coming straight back regardless of the nose direction...
As with everything else this is if you have properly calibrated your home point before take off.
You are the center of IOC once initialized.

I saw this video 2 years ago and have been using IOC ever since. Before understanding IOC I crashed while in IOC. This was because I knew nothing about flying or configuring my equipment. I had wired a dedicated IOC port for a gimbal tilt. yeah... CRASH. Now intrigued by this I began researching IOC.
Sometimes I'll fly an entire mission LOS in IOC just to stay sharp with it.
But it pays for itself in a real flight situation if I loose my orientation.

This is my post that got me deep into understanding IOC and led me to the above post.

Ok, here we go... you can copy your working program to another blank program number to experiment on the Devo7.
Call it 'testioc" or whatever works for you. Put the IOC switch program settings back to the original state.
Test this in the Naza Lite config software.
To use the FMOD Switch for FS on the Naza-Lite (you'll say, I knew that!!:rolleyes:)
Under the Function menu; Travel adjust; adjust your fmod sw range to stop on FS.
You may need to adjust the 'Sub Trim" to get all of your modes centered.
When correctly done you now have GPS, Atti and FS using only the flight mode stick.
Your IOC should be good and you get a clean IOC port again.
You can then use a mix for FS using an unused sw on the Devo 7, You should have maybe two free switches.
The D/R switch (front right) and maybe that Hold sw on the top left. The 10 doesn't have that the switch at all. But by doing this, no mater what mode you are in you can activate RTH... independent of what mode you are in. You may need to adjust the trim as well.
Just an idea for learning and continued experimenting...

personal footnote:
One thing I don't care for on the Devo 10 is while adjusting a mix I need to back out of the mix setting to see the change.
I don't think my DX9 disables control while adjusting mixes.

Sorry, been offline for a while, too much work and training. One comment you made about the Devo 10 makes me not want it now, your personal footnote. What I really enjoy about the Devo 7 is that when I'm adjusting it while the Naza is connected to the NAZA Assistant, I can actually see the change taking place immediately and I can fine everything on the first try. For example, I have assigned some "SAFE" adjustments for when I go into FS, I set the gimbal to look down about 15 degrees from the horizon in order to record the fault or landing / crash site to give me some sort of "after action report" while replaying the footage. I may end up getting the Devo 10 after all, but I'm not happy that the travel adjustments don't change in real-time. Thanks for the input and I'm glad I'm not alone in being a Walkera fan.

XNS

Sorry, been offline for a while, too much work and training. One comment you made about the Devo 10 makes me not want it now, your personal footnote. What I really enjoy about the Devo 7 is that when I'm adjusting it while the Naza is connected to the NAZA Assistant, I can actually see the change taking place immediately and I can fine everything on the first try. For example, I have assigned some "SAFE" adjustments for when I go into FS, I set the gimbal to look down about 15 degrees from the horizon in order to record the fault or landing / crash site to give me some sort of "after action report" while replaying the footage. I may end up getting the Devo 10 after all, but I'm not happy that the travel adjustments don't change in real-time. Thanks for the input and I'm glad I'm not alone in being a Walkera fan.

Welcome back bruh!
I'm a big fan!!!! and yes it's good to see I'm not the only fan either!!!
Yeah those Walkera Devo TX's work pretty well for my needs also.
Sucks they are no longer local in the US or at least in S. Cali.
I may use your idea on FS. I have all of my gimbals returning to straight horizon.
Let me clarify, on the Devo 10 just like the 7, it is only when making adjustments inside the mix settings
that the radio goes into safe mode. yes it still sucks, but I think I know where they were coming from on the other Walkera Heli's and what not.

ok, I forget, is your IOC completely disabled, due to your FS setup?
If so, consider using the d/r switch for FS, it is not used.
Reconfigure the Fmod sw for IOC. It will blow your mind using it.
I use that before I use FS. It is odd and freaky to use but when you get I promise, you will use it!!

This is a link to a site I am slowly building (forgive me if its crappy looking) LOL.
It has a few of my radios. http://xnsllc.net/rc/img/tx.htm

JPG23

Welcome back bruh!
I'm a big fan!!!! and yes it's good to see I'm not the only fan either!!!
Yeah those Walkera Devo TX's work pretty well for my needs also.
Sucks they are no longer local in the US or at least in S. Cali.
I may use your idea on FS. I have all of my gimbals returning to straight horizon.
Let me clarify, on the Devo 10 just like the 7, it is only when making adjustments inside the mix settings
that the radio goes into safe mode. yes it still sucks, but I think I know where they were coming from on the other Walkera Heli's and what not.

ok, I forget, is your IOC completely disabled, due to your FS setup?
If so, consider using the d/r switch for FS, it is not used.
Reconfigure the Fmod sw for IOC. It will blow your mind using it.
I use that before I use FS. It is odd and freaky to use but when you get I promise, you will use it!!

This is a link to a site I am slowly building (forgive me if its crappy looking) LOL.
It has a few of my radios. http://xnsllc.net/rc/img/tx.htm

I'll do my best to describe the breakdown of my TX and how I setup the manual FS:
GEAR is switched to FMOD for IOC (in order to have 3 positions): [positions] - 0=Off, 1=Course Lock, 2=Home Lock
MIX [positions] - 0=GPS, 1=Atti, 2=Manual
AUX2 [positions] - (+)18, (-24) reversed (+ means up and - means down) - For some reason, without reversing it, (-) makes the gimbal look up and (+) makes the gimbal look down
SAFE - Everything goes to 0%, and AUX2 goes to -18

NOTE: As you may already know, manual FS and signal loss FS are completely different, and that's because it's still receiving a signal from the TX in manual FS mode. When I go into manual FS, I can still move the gimbal and yaw the quad; however, when I go into signal loss FS, the TX's final command is to the gimbal (AUX2). Very very fascinating stuff!

FS setup - I used the Program MIX function and programmed the MIX as Primary and the FMOD as Slave, the next part is hard to explain so I'll try to make a video on it when I get time.

How it works - The idea is to engage FS while the TX is still on by using the last position on the MIX but never entering MANUAL mode (I fear it). So the solution to this was pretty simple, when going into manual FS I move the IOC to position 2 (Home lock) and then move the MIX to position 2 (Manual Mode), at this point the Program Mix takes over and kicks the FC into FS mode and it does it's thing. As a safety measure, I keep the throttle at 50% should I need to regain control for any reason.

How to regain control - Since my goal is to stay away from MANUAL mode, I make sure that I reverse the process in order to not go into MANUAL mode; first I move the MIX to GPS, next I move the IOC to Off and finally I flip the mix into ATTI and back to GPS, this gives me full control again without a hitch.

I now trust this so much that I use it all the time, being that I'm a very "attention to detail" type of guy (duh, it's what they teach us in the military lol) I always follow a set of steps prior to flying and one of those steps is to set a home location in a safe place with a clear 15ft radius. Here's something I have yet to understand, when I've tested the FS by killing the TX, it always lands within 2 or 3 feet from the takeoff location, but when I use the manual FS it lands within 4-6 inches from the takeoff location. Sounds crazy and exaggerated right? You know what they say, "if it ain't on video, it didn't happen"? Well, I'll do my best to post a video of this "phenomenon" lol

I hope my descriptions aren't too confusing, but if you have any questions, please post them here and I'll do my best to come back with some videos as soon as I get time (I'm currently working out of town and don't have my quads with me).

Last edited by a moderator:

XNS

I'll do my best to describe the breakdown of my TX and how I setup the manual FS:
GEAR is switched to FMOD for IOC (in order to have 3 positions): [positions] - 0=Off, 1=Course Lock, 2=Home Lock
MIX [positions] - 0=GPS, 1=Atti, 2=Manual
AUX2 [positions] - (+)18, (-24) reversed (+ means up and - means down) - For some reason, without reversing it, (-) makes the gimbal look up and (+) makes the gimbal look down
SAFE - Everything goes to 0%, and AUX2 goes to -18

NOTE: As you may already know, manual FS and signal loss FS are completely different, and that's because it's still receiving a signal from the TX in manual FS mode. When I go into manual FS, I can still move the gimbal and yaw the quad; however, when I go into signal loss FS, the TX's final command is to the gimbal (AUX2). Very very fascinating stuff!

FS setup - I used the Program MIX function and programmed the MIX as Primary and the FMOD as Slave, the next part is hard to explain so I'll try to make a video on it when I get time.

How it works - The idea is to engage FS while the TX is still on by using the last position on the MIX but never entering MANUAL mode (I fear it). So the solution to this was pretty simple, when going into manual FS I move the IOC to position 2 (Home lock) and then move the MIX to position 2 (Manual Mode), at this point the Program Mix takes over and kicks the FC into FS mode and it does it's thing. As a safety measure, I keep the throttle at 50% should I need to regain control for any reason.

How to regain control - Since my goal is to stay away from MANUAL mode, I make sure that I reverse the process in order to not go into MANUAL mode; first I move the MIX to GPS, next I move the IOC to Off and finally I flip the mix into ATTI and back to GPS, this gives me full control again without a hitch.

I now trust this so much that I use it all the time, being that I'm a very "attention to detail" type of guy (duh, it's what they teach us in the military lol) I always follow a set of steps prior to flying and one of those steps is to set a home location in a safe place with a clear 15ft radius. Here's something I have yet to understand, when I've tested the FS by killing the TX, it always lands within 2 or 3 feet from the takeoff location, but when I use the manual FS it lands within 4-6 inches from the takeoff location. Sounds crazy and exaggerated right? You know what they say, "if it ain't on video, it didn't happen"? Well, I'll do my best to post a video of this "phenomenon" lol

I hope my descriptions aren't too confusing, but if you have any questions, please post them here and I'll do my best to come back with some videos as soon as I get time (I'm currently working out of town and don't have my quads with me).

Haha! Thanx for the detail JPG! I love it!

"NOTE: As you may already know, manual FS and signal loss FS are completely different, and that's because it's still receiving a signal from the TX in manual FS mode. When I go into manual FS, I can still move the gimbal and yaw the quad; however, when I go into signal loss FS, the TX's final command is to the gimbal (AUX2). Very very fascinating stuff!"

We have like minds. Incredibly fascinating!!
There does not seem to be too may of us Walkera TX guys, how did you end up using one?

"FS setup - I used the Program MIX function and programmed the MIX as Primary and the FMOD as Slave, the next part is hard to explain so I'll try to make a video on it when I get time."

This is where we venture down different roads, or (I feel) you sacrificed your IOC functions due to Walkera's programming or labeling procedure. Compared to other radios I always felt the Walkera was written in Chinese (no pun intended) LOL
Here's why. FMOD is FMOD and that's that! What is flight mode, universally the standard is 3. APM, Pixhawk has 6!! :)
It is more common for most of the fliers I know to use AUX2. (FMOD and AUX2 are like chocolate chips and cookies).

Not in Walkera's world... on their radios the 7 and 10 you will not find an AUX1 port.
But depending on the radio, you will locate an AUX2, 3, 4...
What or where is Walkera's AUX1? Their AUX1 is labeled as Flap.
Ok, what does flap do on a Multirotor?
Well, it's your FMOD's - GPS, Manual, RTH.
The programing is not universal and was designed in conjunction with THEIR Aircraft.
Naza and most other FC's are somewhat universal as AUX2 is FMOD .

Example:

Walkera Devo-M FC mounted on x350 Pro w/RX703A
FMOD: on radio (flap)
GPS - locks in place, incredibly stable.
Manual - height lock, very stable, wanders very slightly and has a very fast return from A,E,R movement.
RTH - is RTH
that's all... The Devo-M FC and the RX's 701, 703, 1002 all have AUX1, AUX2, AUX3...
I have not found the AUX1 on any of there 7 or 10 channel radios.

Naza V1, V2, Lite
But looking only at the Lite now,
FMOD:
GPS - locks in place, incredibly stable.
ATTI - A,E,R movement needs constant attention
Manual - A,E,T,R all needs constant attention.
DJI, they really should have activated the last FMOD on the Lite as it does much less the then the full version anyway.
Now I know, you know all of this.
But my reasoning is FS without giving up a good functioning IOC port. It's in the code.

The Walkera radios are:
AUX1 - labeled as FLAP (Flap is FMOD)
AUX2 - is coded for IOC

Ports used for FMOD - AUX1, AUX2, Gear. Walkera hides the AUX1 by naming it Flap.
which leads to using the AUX ports that you see, starting with AUX2, thus affecting IOC.

I wish we could literally compare notes in the field....

Have a good weekend Bruh!