DJI Naza F450 Build - Eager First Timer, avoid the woes!

jabba

Hi All,

Was recently introduced to quadcopters and was hooked! So lots of googling later, I have put in an order for one of my own! I have ordered:

DJI Naza F450 Kit
Spektrum Dx6i radio and AR6210 reciever
Naza GPS
4 x 2200mah S3 batteries
Charger for batteries

Now for the question! I am really looking forward to assembling it when it arrives. That said, I am certain that once I start I will get frustrated as I dont have some required part or other! Can someone who has built one tell me what additional bits you need so that I can be prepared. For example, will I need any cabling (and if so, what gauge), any connectors to join anything together, glue, adhesive, zip-ties, etc...etc....

I already have a good soldering iron and all the bits necessary for soldering, so should be ok on that front!

Any advise (to save disappointment!) appreciated!

Cheers,
Jabba

Hi jabba

locktite for the screws for the frame and mounting of the motors
zip ties in different sizes
velcro
silicone wire for the battery leads from the pcb on the frame to the battery connector
battery connector

hjls3

Jabba congrats and sorry i missed this earlier. you might consider getting some different props right off the bat. the 10 inch DJI props have quite a history of coming apart in flight. APC and Graupner are both great choices. Might consider the APC to start with if you are new to MR's due to the fact that they are cheaper.

Good luck and let us know how you do...

Tomstoy2

From what I have been reading, over and over again, the motor bullet connectors have a ring on them that over time has a habit of causing momentary contact. I would consider cutting these off and replacing them with some standard gold coated bullet conectors and avoid a possible crash.

Also, once you have the motor directions all correct it's a damn good idea to heat shrink the bullet connectors to prevent them from becoming unpluged.

DJI zip files are a .rar so you need a winzip that recognizes this file type.
Download the Naza manual now and read it several times.

Twist all you leads to prevent them from becoming mini antenna's.

Put about 30-40% expo in the radio to make it easier to control. DO NOT try to fly in manual mode! It really becomes a hand full.

I'm building an F550 c/w WKM and using a Futaba 8FG..... but am surprised to read your comment that flying manual is a handful! I was expecting this to fly in manual like my MQX which I found extremely easy to fly and land back in my right hand....... Did I miss something here?

kloner

Aerial DP
if somebody has never flown a single rotor heli, it is alot harder.... the title of the thread is "Eager first timer"

in dji, manual is no self leveling, but it still has the gyros so it's not influenced by outside forces, but it doesn't self level. dji goes even futher with inteligent orientation so you don't have to learn orientation.

Tomstoy2

Manual is more for the sport flying. I normally boot up in manual and wait for gps lock. A couple times I have forgotten to select out of that mode and take off. Believe me, it will fill your pants in a hurry! If you are not experienced in sport flying, I would not recommend this setting.