DJI Naza BTU - where's the App?

Hi guys

I've just purchased the DJI Naza BTU to allow me to use the Naza assistant software on my iPhone via Bluetooth. However, I am unable to find the app on the Apple Store. Anybody know where it can be downloaded?

Thanks for that Magnus, I visited the store a number of times today searching on DJI and the request timed out. However I tried again after your reply and - success. Maybe I was having a "senior moment" :upset:
Thanks once again. Eric

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
And just as importantly, when will it be available for Android??

Come on DJI get your act together!!

Rainman

And just as importantly, when will it be available for Android??

Come on DJI get your act together!!

Hopefully never. A potentially hack-able multicopter is something we don't want. I suspect that DJI not releasing the app for reverse engineering on the google-play ecosystem is a very deliberate and highly desirebale strategy, both for DJI and it's customers.

Going off topic here but it never ceases to amaze me that people that buy Android phones always seem to state that they're not bothered about the fact that all their personally identiable information is now owned by someone else and that if their phone is hacked it's not their problem but the providers problem - Somehow the glitz and tech offered by Samsung (and others) manages to overshadow some pretty amazing issues. Folk then wonder why a much needed and potentially sensitive app doesn't appear for Android. It's not because companies are being slow to release apps, it's because they dare not. If you want to expose your proprietory systems, your intellectual property and your personally identiable information to every nefarious cyber-crook on the planet then it's easy - simply use an Android device.

It's now possible to control even the Naza unit using ground station software. If I was of the mindset of a certain type of person (a hacker) and if there were an android app for either the WKM or the Naza and I knew that such machines were out there for me to potentially control - I would be all over that like a nasty rash.

Be very glad there isn't an Android app for DJI flight controllers, and if you're wondering what the hell I'm going on about then go have a read about the stuff that Edward Snowden has been sharing with the rest of the world in the last couple of months.

...and its just been reported that the new fingerprint scanner on the iphone5s is being used to share info on its users with the NSA. Nothing is secure... well maybe if you turn off the computer and use a land line or better yet ham radio... and oh yeah better use cash only because every swipe of your debit/credit card is logged and used to better target your needs/wants/desires. Its a brave new world and here in america much like the rest of the world did years ago we have increasingly voted for Santa Claus in every major and minor election for the last 70 years with only a couple of exceptions. So any semblance of privacy or rights is merely a dream. Just give me the damn android app so I can tune at home a little easier before I go to work. I'll plug the nonBT led for jobs when I'm in public. Geez...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
WOW, OMG, FFS.

Seriously rainman you are one crazy mucked up dude if you think that apple and others don't own you completely.

Oh and I have the choice of iPhone 4 or SGS3 to use but the iPhone 4 screen is so small it is hard to use so I prefer not to for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

jghaney85

Wow!

I tend to agree with EastCoastJib and PeteDee. Rainman I do not believe anybody is really safe anymore. I think we just except those are the times we live in. I think if some super genius wants to hack your crap he will and I would much rather find that out from the safety of a usb cord from my android tablet to my phantom(If they had it), then find it out while I'm IN THE AIR CONNECTED THROUGH BLUETOOTH....opps I left my wifi on and I'm connected to a network from when I was checking the weather earlier and NOW SOMEBODIES TAKING CONTROL OF IT AND FLYING IT IN TO A SCHOOL FOR BABY BUNNIES AAAAHHHHH! There are enough damaging apps out there for hackers to have a hay day with for IOS and Android. I can't imagine this hasn't been put out there for security reasons. Theory, If you released an android app then everybody would just plug a usb cord from the m-rotor to a tablet (which you cannot do with you ipad because the only dongle made with usb is meant to link up with you camera apps)...no additional equipment needed. If you make a SpEcIaL bluetooth add-on for your m-rotor that cost $250ish then you can target the IOS audience with bluetooth capability and make a little bit of money. That would be my thinking. Why not make an app for android to connect with the bluetooth? Once again all theory...but If they did I and many others I'm sure would throw a FIT and say, HEY! My tablet has a multi-functional usb port on it so why do I have to pay another 250 bucks for the bluetooth add-on when you can give a few guys some coffee and a little time to make it compatible with my usb as well! Just thinking out load.

P.S. Wasn't Apple's developer's site hacked earlier this year? Actually that's not a question, yes it was.

jghaney85

P.P.S Rainman, blusnapper was inquiring about the app for the assistant software, I think being able to hack the ground station software through an IOS device would be more detrimental then the assistant software.

Rainman

...and its just been reported that the new fingerprint scanner on the iphone5s is being used to share info on its users with the NSA.

Where's your source for this? Apple claim (note I said 'claim') that the fingerprint data is stored on the phone and not in their cloud and state that the area of storage on their device is secure and not generally accessible via the OS and therefore any other app or subsystem - of course, we only have their word for it. I share your concern but I don't speculate or contribute to the rumour mill on such matters. Personally, I own an iPhone 5 but I won't be buying an iPhone 5S not merely because of the fingerprint scanner (although it is something that does concern me) but for a larger range of reasons.

Nothing is secure...

That is absolutely true, but some things are more secure than others and when it comes to hand-held devices such as phones there is a very clear hierarchy from the most secure to the least secure, and it runs like this - Blackberry, Apple iPhone, Android. Forget about the success or failure of the different brands, forget about what works well and what doesn't and the handsets you like and dislike because it's irelevant. That order I've listed there is a fact and anyone with a technical background will know why and explaining Blackberry's 'elliptic curve cryptography' isn't something I intend to explain here.

well maybe if you turn off the computer and use a land line or better yet ham radio... a

Land lines are inherantly not secure, and 'packet radio' (which is what I assumed you meant when you mentioned 'ham radio') is only as secure as the tranmission end points. It's not secure by default, you have to make it secure.

nd oh yeah better use cash only because every swipe of your debit/credit card is logged and used to better target your needs/wants/desires.

You never noticed those numbers on the bottom of every bank note you use? They are traceable too.

Its a brave new world

None of this is new, it's been like this for decades. The only thing that is new is your awareness of it.A

Anyway, you've missed the point completely (which is partly my fault for digressing) because I actually said that I suspect the main reason is that DJI do not want their code reverse engineered and stolen which is what will happen if they release it into the google app space. As much as I hate to say it the security around applications and handsets in the Apple eco-system have are much better controls than the competition. You might not like that but it's a hard fact. If you've ever written anything for use on a mobile handset then you would know that already, but I suspect that is not the case.

I'm hypothesising on the security aspect. I suspect that it's a consideration but it wouldn't be the overiding factor, but you never know. There may come a point in time when DJI may relent once they think their market share in this particular technology is safe enough.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but the main and perhaps only reason for DJI not releasing the App on Andriod is that currently (up until latest release at least) does not support Blue Tooth V4 which is a hardware requirement. Now that the latest version supports this and new hardware will I assume DJI will release it. I for one hope they do as I am looking to get the Blue Tooth ground station and I dont own any apple hardware.

Rainman

Wow!

I tend to agree with EastCoastJib and PeteDee. Rainman I do not believe anybody is really safe anymore. I think we just except those are the times we live in. I think if some super genius wants to hack your crap he will

If thats how you feel about it then thats up to you. Just accepting it and putting it down to being a fact of life is completely your call, but personally I KNOW how to protect myself, my equipment, and by association those around me. For comparison, driving a car responsibly is not something that you do by default, anyone can put the key in the ignition and start the engine, put it in gear and hit the gas pedal. A car on it's own is a fairly inane thing that on it's own it does nothing until you put someone behind the wheel. When the first cars were sold you didn't need a license or to demonstrate you could operate these machines safely, and today technology is very much like that too. The only difference between a car and your computing devices is that there is no legislation for 'safe computing' ... yet! But it's coming and it's inevitable. You probably think that this is a bad analogy but irresponsible computing DOES cost lives - just think about it for a moment. In time ignorance will be no defence, but for now you can play dumb as much as you want and get away with it. It's merely a short term coping strategy, so do yourself a favour and get ahead of the curve.

and I would much rather find that out from the safety of a usb cord from my android tablet to my phantom(If they had it), then find it out while I'm IN THE AIR CONNECTED THROUGH BLUETOOTH....opps I left my wifi on and I'm connected to a network from when I was checking the weather earlier and NOW SOMEBODIES TAKING CONTROL OF IT AND FLYING IT IN TO A SCHOOL FOR BABY BUNNIES AAAAHHHHH!T

OK, well thanks for illustrating that I've not explained myself clearly enough ... I was hypothesising a scenario far less complicated than the one you've outlined. You don't need to be connected to WiFi since you're already connected to a 3G network - your phone is already internet connected, pretty much everywhere you go these days. I can hack your phone (or 3G connected/tethered Android tablet) whenever I wish from almost anywhere, and according to the press it seems that someone has been doing this already, so you have no need to worry about leaving your phone connected to a WiFi network, and I doubt if you're away from home you'll be connected to your home network anyway. Also, I'm not even talking about bluetooth being the issue, but the possibility of 'injected code' as a consquence of exposing your flight computer to google play, which when accessed via a ground station (a 2.4Ghz link, not a crappy Bluetooth link) could result in something fairly scarey. Leave the DJI kit alone for a moment and suppose that something similar exists (and I believe it already does) in the Arduino world of multicopters and when you realise the consequences of combining 'open source' and 'system security', then ... Wow! Thats propper scarey stuff. But hey, it might not ever happen right? And if it does then 'oh well thats the world we live in'. lol

here are enough damaging apps out there for hackers to have a hay day with for IOS and Android. I can't imagine this hasn't been put out there for security reasons.

No doubt there are some that exist in the Apple app store, but the much publicised fact remains that around 30% (last time I looked) of the applications on the google play store are malware/spyware and there is a high threat level in respect to having your android device infected and 'rooted' merely from drivey-by infections whilst web-browsing. Love them or hate them, the same cannot be said of the Apple app store or their phones.

Theory, If you released an android app then everybody would just plug a usb cord from the m-rotor to a tablet (which you cannot do with you ipad because the only dongle made with usb is meant to link up with you camera apps)...no additional equipment needed. If you make a SpEcIaL bluetooth add-on for your m-rotor that cost $250ish then you can target the IOS audience with bluetooth capability and make a little bit of money. That would be my thinking. Why not make an app for android to connect with the bluetooth? Once again all theory...but If they did I and many others I'm sure would throw a FIT and say, HEY! My tablet has a multi-functional usb port on it so why do I have to pay another 250 bucks for the bluetooth add-on when you can give a few guys some coffee and a little time to make it compatible with my usb as well! Just thinking out load.

What? The bluetooth adapter isn't $250, in the UK it's about £30. No one in their right mind would pay anything like $250 for some connectivity luxury. As someone else has also point out, there is yet another reason why you don't have it on your Android and thats because most of the Android hardware out there doesn't support the version of Bluetooth standard that DJI have adopted, which kinda blows your argument out of the water somewhat ... if it ain't compatible then it ain't compatible and no amount of crying is going to fix that for you, at least until everyone has upgraded their android phones. The Android platform is notoriously slow at supporting some real basic things, such as mounting USB and SD storage devices. It does it now, but it didn't work properly in Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich wasn't much better, and that was the main version being distributed only last year. The earlier version of Bluetooth (such as those that Android does already support) have extremely limited range which makes it particularly unsuitable for the purposes of DJI's latest ground station apps, since the iPad version allows you to fly it to some degree. It would be hilarious to witness on an older bluetooth link ... 10 feet away and splat.

I don't completely follow your argument as I'm not sure you have a total grasp of whats currently out there, and the notion that giving guys coffee and time to make a product which could undermine your intellectual property is ... well ... I just read that and lolled. You've made a splended job of demonstrating just how much of this stuff the less tech-savvy amongst us just take for granted. It's all pretty close to magic ain't it? lol

P.S. Wasn't Apple's developer's site hacked earlier this year? Actually that's not a question, yes it was.
[/quote]

Hacking a website and hacking a company's network are not the same thing and it has nothing to do with anything, any kid can hack a website and many companies that have a web presence believe that their websites exist purely to be hacked. This is because many retarded-would-be-hackers believe that the websites exist as part of the owners own network - but, surprise-surprise ... they do not! But let them occupy themselves with hacking your website because whilst they're doing that they won't be touching your real production networks. I happen to know that one particularly large concern in the UK deliberately hosts psuedo-websites with the deliberate intention of attracting unwanted attention, purely so they can analyse the methods used. They are one step ahead and you would be shocked to know just how many thousands of attacks they are subjected to every hour of every day.

Have fun with your Phantom and fly safe.

If you are making statements like "android apps are more hackable than iPhone" then provide some reference to the fact. As a software development professional I find the statements aggravating to say the least. Android apps must be signed just like iPhone apps

Android certificates: http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html
iPhone certifcates: https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/certificates/

Tell me how these processes of securing the applications are any different? I believe the security issues with Android are caused by the platform attracting a more technical crowd that wants hack and customize more than the iOS platform.

With that said this is WAY off topic. My person opinion is DJI made the decision based on the fact that the Apple eco-system is easier to develop for since there is essentially only one platform and one device that has evolved over the years as opposed to all the flavors of Android and vastly different devices out there. From a development perspective the man power needed to support Android would be cost prohibitive. Also Apple is like DJI in that they keep their secrets to themselves and do not have an affinity for open source at all.

Rainman

If you are making statements like "android apps are more hackable than iPhone" then provide some reference to the fact. As a software development professional I find the statements aggravating to say the least. Android apps must be signed just like iPhone apps

Getting apps signed for Google Play is not hard and plenty of legitimately signed apps in Google Play ARE spyware and malware. It seems that some folk are pretty adept at disguising the code in their submissions. The track record suggests that Google aren't good at spotting this stuff whereas Apple have a much better track record. Don't care how aggravating or wrong you think that is, just go have a google around as there are plenty of nasty apps out there, plus you have the ability to install apps on your Android device THAT DIDN'T ORIGINATE FROM GOOGLE PLAY, which makes the point of signing apps for Android in the first place an absolute joke. It's already undermined before you even start the process, one infected device infects other infected devices and so on.

You can't get ANYTHING onto an iPhone unless it comes from the App Store, unless you jailbreak your handset. As far as I'm aware the only significant iPhone infections have occurred because of jail broken device, and to that I say to anyone with an injected and jailbroken iPhone 'good, serves you right, if you didn't see that coming a mile away then you're better off with an abacus'.

You ever tried developing something for either of these platforms?

I'm slightly surprised that someone that claims to be a developer would make such sweeping statements themselves and claim that both the Android and iPhone landscapes are anything like similar. Signing an app doesn't stop a rogue app being uploaded to Google Play just because it got signed! Google by their own admission have said they need to take steps to improve the vetting of submitted apps.

Android certificates: http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html
iPhone certifcates: https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/certificates/

Tell me how these processes of securing the applications are any different? I believe the security issues with Android are caused by the platform attracting a more technical crowd that wants hack and customize more than the iOS platform.

The thing with system security, generally speaking, is that you only ever get to hear about a threat once it's out in the wild and doing it's thing. We hear LOTS of information about Android security issues, they are ALWAYS in the media. Android spyware and malware is a very real threat and there is no denying that it exists, and why is that? Because Google do a half-assed job of vetting their submissions and until very recently merely waved submissions through with almost no vetting at all ! That is precisely the reason why Google Play is full of crap, half of which doesn't work and crashes your hand set.

We're clearly not both talking about the same type or scale of 'hacking'. The type of hacking I'm referring to is not the soft and fluffy kind as done by nice people that want to customise their own device, which is what you're implying. I'm referring to the type carried out by 'organised crime' or just the more insidious individuals, which happens to be the variety I tackle on a daily basis. Not some script-kiddy sat in his bedroom that plays COD in between downloading the next bit of code that originated elsewhere. Organised crime doesn't care about your apps, they want your entire device under their control, and they ARE much more successful at it with a lovely open source Android device. So, Mr Development Professional, perhaps you'd like to explain to the nice boys and girls what 'open source' is, and what it's implications are for the security community? I'll save you the bother - 'open source' means that ANYONE can write code for the project which happens to be 'Open Source', such as Android and Linux. Any code submitted as part of the system (not the apps, I'm talking about the actual OS) is only vetted by the rest of the open source community, and the simple fact is that it's only as secure as the people that are looking at it are intelligent. Some of the time the people that vet the code being submitted don't always have hands-on experience of the libraries to which code is being submitted and therefore stuff can end up going under the radar, undetected. We had an incident earlier this year where Linus Torsvalds sacked one of his Kernel maintainers(Mauro) for doing a slack job at vetting code and blaming developers for problems caused by bad application developers - rather than admitting that he hadn't done his job properly, but I digress although it illustrates how poor it can be.

Spyware, malware, you name it, could possibly exist within the OS when it gets released to the general public - I'm not making this up, because it's happened already. Literally LOADS of exploits exist for the Android platform, which is a stark contrast when compared to Blackberry, iPhone and even Windows Phone. Look, just go and google it, you don't need me to post links for this stuff which should be common knowledge. Someone that wants to control your phone has a number of vectors available to them - injected code via the open source project, write their own app and publish it (Trojan), drive-by infection by a website which injects code via the browser (and the google browser is a joke when it comes to security), or just plain old network or Bluetooth access to the device itself. Those threat vectors are not a lot different for iPhone except the OS isn't open source as it's proprietary commercial code, apps for the App Store are more carefully vetted (fact) because Apple are able to do so because they understand the OS better than anyone because it's theirs and no one elses. It is a more tightly controlled environment in every way, and we might hate iPhones for being so proprietary but it's just that which is keeping the majority of it's zombie-army of fanboi users safe.

With that said this is WAY off topic. My person opinion is DJI made the decision based on the fact that the Apple eco-system is easier to develop for since there is essentially only one platform and one device that has evolved over the years as opposed to all the flavors of Android and vastly different devices out there. From a development perspective the man power needed to support Android would be cost prohibitive. Also Apple is like DJI in that they keep their secrets to themselves and do not have an affinity for open source at all.

Now that bit made perfect sense, all of it. 100% agree. This is symantics, but I'd actually say that Apple is perhaps harder to develop for, simply because you have more hoops to jump through. Any kid can write an app for Android and many do, you only have to look at the quality of many of the apps, it's a joke.

Acill

I'm an Apple fan and got rid of all my ios items. Android is far better for they way I use my phone and tablets. That said I did want to use a ground station on the go with my F550 and WKM. The best solution I discovered was to pick up a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet PC. It was $125 for a refurb direct from Dell and is full Windows 8.1. Cant get any better than that. As a bonus I can hook up my charger and a lot of other nice things out on the field too.

dzidris

Micro$haft Windows

So what about a windows version?
I want to build a system (F550/Naza MV2) that can be programmed not necessarily at the flying field but in the garden.....a few yards away from my bluetoothed Windows 7 system.

We aren't all multimillionaires in the UK owning Apple this and Apple that.

juan23d

I understand the BTU is for communication with Ground Station thru the iPhone, iPad, etc., and thru a PC using Windows. I don't understand all the whoopla over the hacking issue. If hackers haven't found a way to hack it yet, maybe they're not interested? I'm just a rookie at this, but that's how I see it. I just built my first mulirotor, F550 with NazaM v2, GPS, Zenmuse H3-3D, GS, BTU, 2.4G Datalink and a retractable landing gear.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I bought an Android tablet yesterday and gave away my iPad mini to my four year old to play with. Now I can install a hoard of applications that Apple think is "unsuitable" to iOS users (like a wifi analyzer).
However, I am unable to find the apps "NM assistant" and "Ground Station" or any other app for communicating with the NAZA. Is there no way to set up the NAZA from Android?