DJI has released the latest A2 firmware v2.4

Clogz

Skunking about...
I think I'll wait for a bit after the last firmware update troubles....

after that I'll be ditching a few A2 controllers.

AirShooter

FlyCam UAV
I'm not too worried as the last version was good. All this has is added features. The airport restrictions can be turned off with the click of a box. The gps has for sure improved as I really noticed that. I'm brand new to the A2 so the last firmware and initial flights I paid close attention to how fast it locked full gps signal. Now it does it in less than half the time. And the banking turn feature seems cool. The " Geo fence " is kinda dumb with a min. 12m radius. How about a 3m radius. That makes more sense.
I'm also flying an X 8 with stock gains and it seems to fly good.

Tahoe Ed

I have been flying this version for 2 weeks. I really don't think you will be disappointed. The new features are awesome and the GPS algorithms are much improved. Just my opinion.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have been flying this version for 2 weeks. I really don't think you will be disappointed. The new features are awesome and the GPS algorithms are much improved. Just my opinion.

i was going to put my mostly unused A2 onto an XY8 or 4 with a new gopro zenmuse so it's good news that new firmware has improved performance recently.
will have to get to work on this next week.
bart

Bartman

i think that that pretty much sums it up for a lot of us! but i'll try it again, just need to complete a new heli for it. the hex it was on has been "decommissioned"..lol
bart

DLien

Can you shed any light on what testing DJI has been done? Just trying to build on your experience. Knowing the extent of the testing performed might instill some confidence.... just an idea.

Bartman

Bart flying something DJI?? never thought I would see the day.

c'mon, old news :) ....tried the A2 at the beginning of the year and had two NAZA quads, one with a GoPro Zenmuse

but I sold the GH3 Zenmuse I had and the camera so the A2 never really got any use. going to put i on an XY8 with dual 6S and another goPro zenmuse.

haven't been doing much multi-rotoir stuff with all of the problems we've had at the other site. it's under control now and doing great which means it's time for a new heli build and the site will be completely new in about two weeks! you heard it here first Yuri. :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just figured you were trying them out for reviews. Now you can't say "I never inhaled." I'm just giving you a hard time. :) I know they make good stuff. It's just the downside of making things in mass quantities from a company that doesn't make any effort to be supportive to the people that made them billionaires.

sk8brd

there's some issues about motor idle speed being reported by kde. i cant find the link but their response was to use low motor idle speed and take off in manual. look into it if your on kde esc's and a2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clogz

Skunking about...
there's some issues about motor idle speed being reported by kde. i cant find the link but their response was to use low motor idle speed and take off in manual. look into it if your on kde esc's and a2.

Here's the post from KDE about this issue:

"Hey Guys,

Customers forwarded this thread to me, experiencing similar issues with startup-idle RPM on motors with the KDE Direct XF ESCs. Since we can directly control the RPM of the motor with the XF ESCs through a receiver direct with no issues, something was changing in the response of the flight-controller to effect the Motor Idle Speed with the DJI controllers.

We tested multiple systems, using the DJI Naza-M V2 and A2 controllers. Here's what we have found, and it appears ONLY with the A2 controller (latest firmware v2.3).

On the Naza-M V2 controller, Motor Idle Speed works great, and there is a noticeable change in startup RPM when shifting the setting from LOW to HIGH, and is working in all three flight modes: Manual, ATTI, and GPS. No problems throughout, working great with the KDE Direct XF ESCs.

On the A2 controller, there is a major bug in the Motor Idle Speed programming. When changing the Motor Idle Speed setting from LOW to HIGH, the startup RPM works great in the Manual mode ONLY. High setting is extremely high and I DO NOT recommend using this, use LOW or RECOMMENDED only, to prevent premature take-off in Manual mode. When starting the motors in ATTI or GPS mode, there is NO CHANGE when adjusting the Motor Idle Speed and it seems locked at the "RECOMMENDED" RPM speed . This is a major issue of concern for customers, as this can lead to a faster-than-desired startup RPM for some setups (especially on very light and overpowered setups).

In this regard, when running the A2 controller until the firmware is fixed, I am instructing customers to take-off ONLY in manual mode and make sure to set Motor Idle Speed to LOW. With the Naza-M V2, this problem does not exist, and any of the three flight modes work great as programmed.

This is not an issue with the KDE Direct XF ESCs (they are factory-programmed to Futaba 1100ms to 1900ms pulse-ranges as standard), but an issue with the A2 programming for the Motor Idle Speed. I hope DJI will acknowledge this and work to solve this ASAP for customers, as the A2 is a great flight-controller and this is an open issue of concern. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at support@kdedirect.com and also, if anyone wants to discuss this with me from DJI, please contact me as well.

Thanks,
Patrick Koegler
Owner, KDE Direct"

Bartman

ok but keep in mind that that guidance was for version 2.3 and we're talking about 2.4 now. KDE is pretty good about this stuff so they should be on it by now.
bart

Clogz

Skunking about...
Ah yes, so it is... :)

i haven't dared upgrading my A2's to FW2.4 yet so I don't know if the idle speed setting has been fixed but, as per post, the motors are running at the default idle speed regardless of idle settings in Atti/GPS mode on FW2.3 for me.

sk8brd

there was another update like today..apparently more people have had issues w/ fast startup so dji disabled the feature with "new" 2.4....

since the s900's/s1000's do not use self tightening props they must of enabled the "feature" for people with custom builds using a2's with dji self tightening props and motors and forgot about its s900/s1k users guess..lol..yeah right

Dear DJI A2 Dealers&Customers,

In order to secure the self-tightening propellers, A2 2.4 firmware will initially allow the motors start off at a higher speed, and then slow down back to idle speed at the beginning. However, some customers feedback on the start-up motor speed is too fast for their aircraft, especially for those light weighted ones with strong propulsion system. Therefore we cancel this function to avoid any further matter due to this issue.

This modified version also solve the problem that the assistant software fails to cancel the flight limit in some airports.

The modified main controller firmware is now available online. You can upgrade via the A2 1.4 assistant software. We highly suggest you to back up your current configuration settings by the assistant software before the upgrade, so there will be no need to go through first-time setup again.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding and support.

sk8brd

well looks like 2.6 for gps was just released...... 2 firmware updates in 24 hours.....nice to see dji getting things done fast but just wow. lol...that fast spin feature was never a feature it was a mistake classified as a feature..its tough to keep up. it is probably best for people hold off for a week and stick with whats has been stable..

SkiesTheLimit

I just installed the Immersion EzUHF 8 channel transeiver to my A2 Flight Controller from Ch1 to the X2 port. When the A2 settings are at DR16 the A2 shows a green connection light. When i switched it to PPM the connection light remains stays red (indicating no connection) yet in the A2 Assistant software everything looks like its working correctly....

When the A2 is switched to PPM mode is the connection light supposed to remain Red? Or should it turn Green???

Thanks

Clogz

Skunking about...
I think I did the right thing deciding to wait for at least some weeks before even thinking about upgrading the firmware...

FW2.3 has been fine for me so far so there's not really any need to upgrade anyway. Again, these software issues don't improve confidence in the A2 and it's software for me....which is a shame....