DJI has released new firmware for DJI Lightbridge!

Quinton

So all of that got me thinking that the best solution was to get flight control out of the 2.4GHz band.

Which does not leave much choice for anyone in Europe except for using a 5.8 GHz, which is not going to get you much more distance than a few hundred meters at best (If you can get hold of a 5.8GHz controller that is)
Not so bad if you want to fly a phantom, or a BMPCC Zenmuse, but pretty useless for anything else.

I was one of the first in the UK to buy the LB, and I was one of the first to send it back, after DJI hoodwinked everyone in with all their false advertising.

I asked this earlier but never did get a reply, I do not know enough about all this stuff but at the following link it shows as Lightbridge having 387mW of power, does that not make it completely illegal to use in Europe or does that relate to something else?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/reltel...geTitle=REL_SEARCH_RESULTS&STTyp=REL&lang=eng

econfly

I can tell you there are some teething issues with compatibility via hdmi and mobile devices but the control link is solid. Haven't had one single glitch on the control side since Feb.

Good to know. I was enthused at first, but that thread over on another forum seems like one problem after another, but as you say most of it is related to getting software working and the display issues.

Even so, I am starting to like this plan of getting flight control completely apart from the Lightbridge. Just avoiding being tethered to the monitor and/or gimbal control is enough motivation. If 433MHz/UHF doesn't have a downside -- and right now I'm seeing only upside (tons of range, way more than LB is providing for video) -- it seems like a viable option.

The other way to go (DJI recommended) is to use 5.8GHz for gimbal control and use the LB for flight control and HD video. But to my mind, the video downlink and gimbal control should go together. I guess one solution is to buy a separate LB ground unit and have two monitors, but that's less appealing to me.

Thanks, by the way, for the insights. I know you've been using this thing for a while so your thoughts are very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

yes, i had a good experience with Dragonlink

Excellent. I've been reading up on it and it seems like a nice solid option for the price. Like you noted earlier, for typical AP work the extra range is not needed at all, and if I were not thinking of using the Lightbridge for HD video downlink I wouldn't even consider UHF for flight control. Having thought about it, however, it seems like a very convenient option to solve the issue of Lightbridge demanding exclusive use of 2.4GHz where it's desirable to have separate and untethered radio controls on the ground.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Rob,

Keep in mind, SD video (analog) downlinks are plenty good for framing shots, providing feedback to observers, etc. the HD option is going to be of value when you have higher order individuals like creative people, directors, etc. watching the feed and even then it may or may not be a deal breaker to use SD feeds.

just an FYI for perspective before everyone starts to think they can't survive without an HD feed. a good, stable SD feed is a very useable image.

Tahoe Ed

It has already been demonstrated the the SD feed from a Z15 for Nex5N is of very good quality and an option to HD if you have a non-HD Gimbal.

econfly

Rob,

Keep in mind, SD video (analog) downlinks are plenty good for framing shots, providing feedback to observers, etc. the HD option is going to be of value when you have higher order individuals like creative people, directors, etc. watching the feed and even then it may or may not be a deal breaker to use SD feeds.

just an FYI for perspective before everyone starts to think they can't survive without an HD feed. a good, stable SD feed is a very useable image.

I agree. Part of this, as usual for me anyway, is just the fun of it. Taking things a different direction, what is your preferred SD setup?

ZAxis

It has already been demonstrated the the SD feed from a Z15 for Nex5N is of very good quality and an option to HD if you have a non-HD Gimbal.

Ed ....
You may have heard about a good SD feed from an NEX but DJI are economical with the truth when it comes to using a GH3 on a non HD gimbal. Look at the little video on the DJI Lightbridge web page detailing how it is possible to run a GH3 thru the slip rings, then look at the part of the video showing the Lightbridge app ...
View attachment 18731
The picture is 4:3 aspect ratio squashed down from 16:9 and there are noise bars running up the screen.
This is not a 'high quality' output and its shameful that DJI boast about it. A real loss of face on their part.
Fixable on an upcoming update?
We have a GH3 on a nonHD ZenMuse and this is exactly what we see

andy

Attachments

• 4by3.jpg
    4by3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 401

When running through the Standard GCU all you will get is SD. So you would want them to stretch the picture to 16:9? That would look really bad.

I run mine through the GCU and yes not HD quality but better than any analog downlink.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-23-16-46-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-23-16-46-14.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 416

flitelab

Apparently the original promo video on the GH3 Zenmuse wasn't through the slip rings, it was using a direct HDMI cable so loss of 360 panning as well as you need to disconnect for the start-up sequence. It also never mentioned the limited channel mapping available to the gimbal control either which is 3 channels if you have retracts. Items they failed to point out in that video but have now come to light. Misleading it was.

If your using the SD feed you may as well stick with a standard setup over Lightbridge. HD is where it shines, without it then it is a expensive bit of gear to get SD from.

ZAxis

When running through the Standard GCU all you will get is SD. So you would want them to stretch the picture to 16:9? That would look really bad.

I run mine through the GCU and yes not HD quality but better than any analog downlink.

BladeStrike ...
Your image is not from a GH3 is it?
Our GH3 HDMI out to the ZM HDMI/composite converter thru the slip rings to the ZenMuse GCU to a normal analog 5.8GHz video downlink Tx to a 16:9 monitor delivers an undistorted 16:9 image. It is an SD image not an HD image. SD is capable of delivering a 16:9 aspect ratio image, it is not an HD only feature.
Connecting our GH3 HDMI out to the ZM HDMI/composite converter thru the slip rings to the ZenMuse GCU to the AV input of the Lightbridge down to the ground unit to the Lightbridge app delivers a 16:9 image that has been squashed to a distorted 4:3 aspect ratio image. This is identical to the image seen in the rather dubious setup video.
If DJI stretched it back out to 16:9 and restored the image to that seen by the GH3 I'd be delighted but they don't. They seem rather proud to have delivered a sub standard quality image in the wrong aspect ratio that also displays rolling noise bands.
All I ask is that either DJI remove that video from their web site and admit, with suitable loss of face, they were wrong or provide a clean image in the correct aspect ratio. I'd prefer the latter.

You are one of their forum support guys so please get some feedback from them on this issue and post it here

andy

Quinton

All I ask is that either DJI remove that video from their web site and admit, with suitable loss of face, they were wrong or provide a clean image in the correct aspect ratio. I'd prefer the latter.

You are one of their forum support guys so please get some feedback from them on this issue and post it here

andy

Maybe while your at it you could also ask them to remove that, what looks to be a 16-35mm L series lens too from the bottom of their 5D Zenmuse home page which they have had up for months, as its not a supported lens..:nevreness:
http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-z15-5d

Andy -

Sorry been really busy working, haven't had much time to do the fun job:cold:

I will forward your concerns and findings... No my image was from a poor mans nex.

I will add this as well, It seems like this site is full of DJI bashers and haters. What I find to be odd is if I had so much hate for a product and or company, why even look at the new products and move on? Why continue to post / read in a DJI sub forums? If there is a better product then by all means buy it, use it and move on. That would be the best solution for EVERYONE. Being negative all the time and just being plain nasty gets no one anywhere.

Some of the behavior on this site has been so disgusting that I told DJI I would not provide support here.. I'm willing to give it another go but if it starts getting bad again, I'm out of here. There is a correct way and wrong way to formally complain.. The last two post are prime examples of expressing yourself without making yourself look like a 12yr old. Thanks Guys!!! :tennis:

Quinton

I will add this as well, It seems like this site is full of DJI bashers and haters. What I find to be odd is if I had so much hate for a product and or company, why even look at the new products and move on? Why continue to post / read in a DJI sub forums? If there is a better product then by all means buy it, use it and move on. That would be the best solution for EVERYONE. Being negative all the time and just being plain nasty gets no one anywhere.

Some of the behavior on this site has been so disgusting that I told DJI I would not provide support here.. I'm willing to give it another go but if it starts getting bad again, I'm out of here. There is a correct way and wrong way to formally complain.. The last two post are prime examples of expressing yourself without making yourself look like a 12yr old. Thanks Guys!!! :tennis:

Completely agree, however my bashing was when I actually paid good money for their products which never worked, and even when I had contact with managers at DJI Europe there was not a satisfactory outcome, in fact they seemed to me that they did not know what was going on.

I paid good money for the lightbridge as it looked "great" in the youtube videos, then low and behold not even close to what the videos advertised, when it actually came to releasing them.
DJIs behaviour has actually been disgusting, the way they let dealers take the brunt of unhappy customers, the release of premature products that do not work as advertised.
I again paid good money for the 5D Zenmuse which did not work as described, but "I" had to wait on a firmware to fix the problems (I would still be waiting)

I will not be be complaining about them anymore, as both have been sent back, (which is not such an easy thing to do, and is an expense to me) and I will hopefully be the happy owner of a new Movi M5 on Wednesday.

ZAxis

Andy -

Sorry been really busy working, haven't had much time to do the fun job:cold:

I will forward your concerns and findings... No my image was from a poor mans nex.

Blade Strike..
Thank's for getting back. I do look forward to DJI's response, I really hope it's positive. It's been so frustrating having to find the limitation of DJI kit by having to spend first, in the case of the Lightbridge that's quite a wad of cash.
We've started on a shoot with what we've got but that is suboptimal.
What ever you do, do not leave this forum, we desperately need a conduit to DJI. Yes, some discussions have gotten pretty ugly but that is entirely due to DJI's inability to provide answers to user's question and problems. They do not even offer an excuse, just silence other than announce new products or updates. It just creates a negative feedback loop that feeds on itself.
DJI make ground breaking products that have advanced this industry at breakneck speed over the past few years and I can understand life must be difficult for them too. The professional side of this industry deserve the kind of support that allows them to get on with the job and not fret over hardware/software issues. So please hang in there, along with Tahoe Ed. We have no one in Europe that have the same feed into DJI as you two.

andy & lec

Kilby

I found a very, very simple solution to this problem years back. Don't be a DJI early adopter anymore. I know it's hard to wait when you see that new product on the horizon, but history has proven that this is usually how it goes every time, so learn from the past and avoid it at all costs. I almost forgot that lesson as well with the Lightbridge as I had one on preorder for about a month before I finally came to my senses and canceled it. Looking through this thread now, I'm very happy I did so. I will still pick one up at some point, but never again will I be a beta tester for a company that I pay for products from.

-Terry

Completely agree, however my bashing was when I actually paid good money for their products which never worked, and even when I had contact with managers at DJI Europe there was not a satisfactory outcome, in fact they seemed to me that they did not know what was going on.

I paid good money for the lightbridge as it looked "great" in the youtube videos, then low and behold not even close to what the videos advertised, when it actually came to releasing them.
DJIs behaviour has actually been disgusting, the way they let dealers take the brunt of unhappy customers, the release of premature products that do not work as advertised.
I again paid good money for the 5D Zenmuse which did not work as described, but "I" had to wait on a firmware to fix the problems (I would still be waiting)

I will not be be complaining about them anymore, as both have been sent back, (which is not such an easy thing to do, and is an expense to me) and I will hopefully be the happy owner of a new Movi M5 on Wednesday.

econfly

Reviving an older thread here...

I've come to really like DJI's Lightbridge. Sure, I don't need HD video to frame a shot, but it sure is nice. Today over on another forum I posted some thoughts on details in the Lightbridge control signaling and thought readers here might be interested.

As introduction, the Lightbridge when used with the very popular Futaba T14SG radio can transmit at most 12 channels in single-operator mode. This is not unusual as even the Futaba radio itself paired with the R7008SB receiver will only produce 12 usable channels for most multirotor purposes. However, the radio, as the name implies, does offer 14 channels. These 2 additional channels are just two-position switches (on/off), but very useful for applicable actions such as raise/lower gear, operate shutter, etc.

I've been working to (a) get all 14 channels out of the radio and through the lightbridge, and (b) to decode the results on the air side for my desired use. So far, so good. Here are some details for those interested.

First off, the Lightbridge air unit outputs control signals in Futaba's s.bus format. This can feed directly into DJI (and some other) controllers, and DJI's A2 controller can output 4 channels for other use (gear, gimbal control, etc.). Other controllers need the s.bus signal decoded with individual channels output for use apart from the main flight controller.

On the ground, the Lightbridge accepts PPM input which is natively produced by the T14SG in 8 and 12 channel mode over the trainer port. However, to get the addition two digital channels out of the radio one must set the radio to "16 channel" trainer port mode and the result is no longer PPM but rather s.bus. The Lightbridge ground unit can't (at this time anyway) decode that s.bus signal so we need to decode it and then re-encode it into PPM.

Note that all of this boils down to implementing an s.bus decoder, both on the air and ground side, and then either outputting multi-channel PPM (on the ground) or individual PWM channels (on the air side).

Making all of this a little more interesting is that the Lightbridge air side sbus output is noisier than you get out of a Futaba receiver. Every bit of sbus is 10 microseconds wide (a 100Kbit/sec data rate) and the rise time out of the lightbridge air unit can be a few microseconds. Because sbus is an asynchronous protocol (a simple UART) timing is critical in proper decoding and that's the problem with many cheap sbus decoders and the lightbridge. Often with cheap sbus decoders and the lightbridge we see the need for voltage pull-ups just to get that rising edge up over a voltage threshold, but that doesn't really get at the problem directly. The solution, rather, is to sample multiple voltage points over the bit width in order to identify if the bit is on/off. Many microcontrollers have built in UART modules to manage this well. My guess is that the problems in cheaper options come from either insufficient sampling in lower-cost microcontrollers or just bit banging the sbus signal with hardware that doesn't have the clock speed to get the necessary resolution.

The attached images show the difference between a Futaba s.bus signal and what we get out of the the lightbridge receiver. Note that signal voltage is not an issue (both are about 3.3v), but that the DJI signal has much slower rise time and more noise. The first two images compare Futaba to DJI for the first bit of the data stream (Futaba first). The second two images show the full packet (Futaba first). In the first image the s.bus UART parameters are shown at the bottom of the screen. Note the completely clean serial decode I'm getting on my oscilloscope. The DJI signal is perfectly good enough, and the voltage level is not an issue. The decoder simply has to manage the noise and slow rise time.

Futaba S.Bus first bit:
image7329_zpsca6fb5c3.png

DJI Lightbridge S.Bus First Bit:
image19300_zps30273814.png

Futaba S.Bus Signal:
image27555_zps058b3076.png

DJI Lightbridge S.Bus Signal:
image30883_zpsc3f704f2.png

For those following this so far, the only thing left to know about s.bus is that the first 8-bit byte is a header and the remaining signal represents channel levels from 1 to N with 11 bits per channel (line up the bytes decoded MSB first as shown and cut the bits into 11-bit wide chunks). There is more to a full decoding, of course (not the least is mapping the signal to a PWM pulse width), but s.bus/DBUS by itself is decoded as a UART with parameters shown in the first image.

Probably a lot here of little interest to many, but hopefully these details can help out someone trying to work through this as I am. So far, on the ground side, I have the Lightbridge working with 14 channels out of the Futaba T14SG (setting the trainer port to 16 channels which results in 12 channels + the two "digital" channels). A little decoding/encoding gets the 14 channels out of the radio and into a form the lightbridge ground unit can understand. On the air side, I have a decoder that extracts those 14 channels for use with a WKM controller and gimbal (an A2 and HD gimbal would be good to go I assume, but that's not what I'm using). I'm still working out a few things, but this looks to be a viable solution for my purposes (single-operator setup that can benefit from two more channels).

Sudya

012317f2y0rwpcmk2px2t0.jpg

I have two devices connected to my Android and PC. One is Ok. For all 3 items there are available updates and they show versions of firmwares. Second device only shows Ground System main controller is with update and no video, all lights are green on air and ground stations. Please, could you help us, have the ground station hard reset to default factory setting and firmware versions?