DJI has released its Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) 3-axis HD gimbal stabilization system

Mike Fortin

We are going with standard feed now but I'd really like to be able to add the HD and go live to broadcast if need be by using the Paralinx Tomahawk.

The issue is the fit with the Zenmuse doesn't seem to make it possible to use other HD systems. 90% of the time standard def will work but we've been getting requests to go live with HD quality.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I think he means if you want an HD downlink, which very few people need. I'm happy with 5.8GHz SD resolution, as most people are, as all you are doing is framing shots, not broadcasting live.

Mike Fortin

I didn't mis-read anything. What I'm saying is that if you want to use an HD downlink on the GH4 Zenmuse you can only use the lightbridge and not something like the Paralinx. If you are just framing shots, then yes Standard Def is fine, if you are broadcasting LIVE to TV then you need HD or at least HD is the most ideal.

Benjamin Kenobi

Oh yeah, just read your previous post. Sorry dude. You can still get HD out if you bypass the Zenmuse and just plug in a separate cable.

Mike Fortin

The Z15 is a great solution, it's just very limiting in terms of the HD systems you can use...if any (besides LightBridge) and the lens selection which is 1 in it's stock form. You can run other lenses without any issues if you remove the top bracket. I'm still thinking that for a few hundred more the Ronin is a better and more compete and versatile option.

Benjamin Kenobi

Sure, except there's no way to get it in the air at the moment and it's a new and untested gimbal.

You can still use paralinx and teradek, you'd just need an extra long cable that you plug in once the Zen has done it's calibration dance. Not ideal but it works.

Mike Fortin

I've seen several people flying them already, so it's extremely easy to get it in the air. The biggest downfall is that you've only got 90 degrees of rotation in the air.

Benjamin Kenobi

Cool! What rigs have you seen them under? The 90° thing seems really weird, I thought it was 360° or die! If you can stretch to a MOVI then do it.

stepino

Hi,
have you tested this gimbal with GH4 in 24p cinema mode (and C4k resolution)? Does the built in HDMI to AV converter handle this mode ok?

And what about Lightbridge? From specs I see that it doesnt supports 24p mode, can you confirm it please?