DJI has released its 3-Axis stabilized handheld gimbal system--the Ronin

3-Axis Stabilized Handheld Gimbal System
The DJI Ronin has been developed for the filmmaking professional. High build quality standards ensure that it keeps up with the demands of rigorous handheld and aerial use in trying environments. Simply hold it in your hands or mount it to an aircraft to create smooth and stable footage. Custom built ultra-fast processors, extremely accurate sensors, and advanced algorithms, together with fanatical attention to detail has created a system that offers remarkably precise manipulation of control angles - within the range of ±0.02°. This puts world-class, industry leading technology into your hands and creates unparalleled picture and video stabilization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcjSdzYb9LY

ronin.jpg

Supports a Multitude of Cameras and Lenses
The Ronin is not customized for any specific camera. It can be easily adjusted to carry everything from small & light Micro-Four-Thirds cameras to heavier systems like the Red Epic.

Simple 5-Minute Setup
With a little practice, the Ronin takes less than 5 minutes to set up and balance whenever the camera configuration is changed.

SmoothTrack Control
SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to transform their tilt and pan movements on the gimbal into smooth and stabilized camera angle changes.

High Performance Processing Power
A customized, advanced 32-bit floating point DSP processor offers more efficiency than an ARM processor, for faster processing of signals from the onboard encoders.

3 Configurations
Underslung mode for traditional operation. Upright mode for eye-level or even higher shots. Briefcase mode for a slim low-profile setup.

s7bg.jpg

Built-in Receiver & Remote Control
A built-in DJI receiver allows the Ronin to be remotely controlled by a 2nd operator. The gimbal operator can focus on gimbal movement while the 2nd operator pays attention to camera movement.

s8bg.jpg

Smart Battery/4-Hour Runtime
The Ronin’s customized smart battery is easy to install and simple to charge with the provided charger. Remaining power can be checked directly on the battery.

s13_body2.jpg

Other main features:
Tool Free Adjustment
Based on ZENMUSE Technology
2nd Operator Controller
High Torque, Precision Controlled Motors
Extremely Durable, High Build Quality
Top Bar Accessory Mounts
Quick Release Top Handle Bar
Power Distribution Box
Dual 15mm Rods for Follow-focus Accessories
Gimbal Tuning Stand
Protective Carrying Case
Mobile Bluetooth Assistant Software
Auto Configuration
SmoothTrack Tuning
Remote Operator Control
Ronin Stats
Firmware Upgradable

Click here for more details.

Quinton

Can we mount it on multirotor like skyjib 8 TI-QR? With tode in hole kind of adapter. .

Don't think its aimed at the MR market so much with it being 4.2KG
As usual DJI have released a great video to market their product, will be interesting to see how it "really" performs when users get the hold of it, no doubt however DJI will get it out there for free, to a few select celebrity evangelists and the long waited pre-orders will flow in.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Curious if dji has done any wind test, how strong will the motors hold ala filming from a moving vehicle. For sure on my short list for something I'm wanting to try.

Quinton

Curious if dji has done any wind test, how strong will the motors hold ala filming from a moving vehicle. For sure on my short list for something I'm wanting to try.

Certainly seems to be priced well @ $4.5k
Maybe something good will come out of it like the price of the Movi M10 will be reduced.
I've never understood why the M10 can be priced £8700 more than the M5

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Holy cow. How heavy is this thing? Anyone who has used a Movi at a whopping 1.5kg (gimbal only) with a Red knows that it can be back breaking work due to the way this style of gimbal is used. With the Ronin at 4.2kg gimbal only, this thing is going to be one tough beast to use for any length of time. DJI say it can also be used in the air- the flight times are going to be very poor. The Movi M15 is supposed to weight 2.3kg, gimbal only, and Tab reckons this is about as heavy as it can ergonomically be. I dont think he is wrong. So, $4.5k may sound like a good price but I wonder how well it will go down on set when an operator can only use the Ronin for seconds at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

For MR, movi m10 is the king still. Only at 1.65 kg, it is hard to beat. For handheld use, extra 3 kgs will be a ton after using it for 20 minutes unless easyrig is used.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Even with the m10 and an epic, an in shape cam op can still only get a couple of minutes hand holding these things. I'm looking at using a bg with a 10-12' jib arm, but wind torque is my biggest question. Someone posted a ronin review using aftermarket extended arms for longer bodied cameras, not sure how much that add-on will be, but the batts are sure expensive! I sent an email last week to AMP with a couple questions but their contact page must be for show cuzz nobody ever got back to me.

Quinton

TBH looking at it I cannot see it being >4kg, maybe I am reading the specs wrong, but it does say fully loaded then with a load weight of 7.25KG..
http://www.dji.com/product/ronin/spec

It does have quite a large battery 3.4A, (compared to the Movi M5 1.3A which at least has a JST and balance plug) but where could the rest of the weight come from?
I would expect the batteries to be expensive and not sure if you could add your own, not to mention you may need an actual DJI charger, which may be hard to get hold off if anything went wrong.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
TBH looking at it I cannot see it being >4kg, maybe I am reading the specs wrong, but it does say fully loaded then with a load weight of 7.25KG..
http://www.dji.com/product/ronin/spec
It is confusing. It says:

Weight: 4.20kg (9.26lbs) fully loaded with handlebar
Load Weight (Reference Value): 7.25kg (16lbs)

One might imagine that the gimbal is 4.2kg without a camera, and they consider 7.25kg the "nominal" weight with camera. But as is typically the case, DJI are not being completely forthcoming. The MōVI specs clearly state the payload capacity and camera compatibility.

And yeah, this thing probably isn't going to be flying anywhere any time soon, and certainly not on any DJI copters.

Quinton

And yeah, this thing probably isn't going to be flying anywhere any time soon, and certainly not on any DJI copters.

What do you mean, you haven't heard of the DJI S4200?..
;) They are currently taking pre-orders, once they work out the specs!

Last edited by a moderator:

They are supposed to be developing a S1200. Seems logical that the Ronin should fit onto their bigger copter. The Ronin is heavy.... at 9.26lbs and the Movi 5 is 4.8lbs. Any copter that can fly the Ronin will need to be "big"
In my personal opinion they should lighten the Ronin and make a DSLR version possibly so they we can have lens choices!

Quinton

Seems that Ronin will be selling for $2999 and not the $4499 originally mentioned.
Wonder what is going on there, will they be making more money upselling something else (like a lightbridge)...or..who knows, at least for now?

flitelab

Perhaps the cheaper price is to make up for the lack of support people are coming to know from DJI. hard to demand top dollar when your basically on you own the moment you pay.

Movi cost more but their support is super responsive in my experience so far. I had a response to an issue yesterday in about 10 minutes.