DJI H3-2D Gimbal Version 1.6 Update Issues - Don't Install!

CG Photo

Think long and hard before installing the update!:eek:

Recently I updated my DJI Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal software from version 1.4 to version 1.6. I noticed two changes. First the tilt range is now limited and you can no longer tilt up past the horizon. Second is the smoothness of the tilt control is gone and the gimbal reacts instantly to user input. This creates jerky movements when adjusting the tilt. I recommend you not install this update. There seems to be no way to uninstall it once it has been installed. I believe version 1.4 worked better.

Here is video comparing version 1.4 to 1.6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnlu2C-9UI&feature=youtu.be

The 1.4 software is no longer available from DJI so if you have it I recommend you keep it!

Last edited by a moderator:

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Thanks for the heads up on this. Not sure what the upgrade was supposed to do for non Phantom owners apart from bugger up smooth tilts it seems.

CG Photo

Thanks for the heads up on this. Not sure what the upgrade was supposed to do for non Phantom owners apart from bugger up smooth tilts it seems.

I understand what they were trying to do. The one change to limit upward movement was done to help people keep the props out of view. The other change was done to use more of the control input range. I had to set the end point limits nearly all the way down in order to use the full range of the knob with version 1.4. On transmitters like the Phantom that does not have the ability to program the end points there was very little control travel that was useful.

What they should do is put two slider controls in the assistant. One slider should allow the user to set their own camera travel end point(s). The other slider should control how quickly the gimbal responds to user input. It is now far to quick to respond. It was much better in version 1.4. It could be even better if it could be slowed down even more.

Tahoe Ed

It was for the Phantom 2 with H3-2D. I find with the DJI Tx is is very smooth and i get 90 degrees of tilt.

CG Photo

Ya, Ed, go fly it then play back the video and see for yourself. The tilt is very ruff. DJI should allow us some way to uninstall and go back to the version 1.4. The previous release allowed for 90 degrees tilt down and 30 degrees tilt up. Now we only have the 90 between level and straight down.

CG Photo

Ed you are using the GCU 1.6 and IMU 1.4 update from November 20th. On December 16th they released an update for the IMU to version 1.6. That is the problem update. Don't install it or you will have the problem. Next time your plug in your zen and run the assistant it will ask to update the software. DON'T DO IT! Once it is installed you can't go back.

CG Photo

The only thing I see in the video is some scary guy grabbing his camera. Don't do that because you are causing it to go into hibernation mode and shut down.

SamaraMedia

CG, the only reason I'm touching the camera is to try and settle it from vibrating on the tilt axis, which it does every time I power up and it initializes.

Tried it again without touching it and it went into hibernation mode all by itself within 20 seconds of being powered up.

I agree, he is pretty scary...

CG Photo

Do you have any video while flying? I have seen gimbals shake on the ground and be just fine in the air. Sometimes the harmonics of the frame can make it hard on the gimbal.

SamaraMedia

CG, here is the very first test flight with the Zenmuse. As you can see, the gimbal tilts down at the 15 second mark and when it pans up it it vibrating and causing the "jello" effect, and that is before I started the motors so there are no harmonics involved yet. It was shaking until I reached in to stop the vibration, after liftoff it recorded pretty well until the 1:45 mark, then the 'jello" returned until I tilted the camera down 90 degrees then returned to horizontal until the end.

Every video I've watch pertaining to install of the gimbal, none of them tilt down then return to horizontal afterward which leads me to believe there is something wrong with mine. From what I'm seeing it should snap to horizontal position and stay there, not rotate down then return up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJBo-st5t8

On a separate note, I went to your website and looked at you HeliCam page, what are you using to mount your monitor to your tx? Is you vrx velcroed to the back?

Thanks,

John

CG Photo

I see two different things in that video. At the 15 second mark, I can see the camera vibrating. What I see at 1:45 looks like common jello from props. I can't tell if the problem is the gimbal or the aircraft. Can you move the gimbal to a different bird? Looks like most of your video is really good.

In my photo you asked about I used a length of plexiglass. I had a local shop cut and bend it for me. I then added Velcro to it. The screen is Velcroed to the mount and the receiver is Velcroed to the back.

Two problems with this setup. One is it is too heavy to hold for a long time with the weight of the display my wrists get tired and it is harder to to have fine control of the sticks. The second problem is that the monitor blocked the signal getting out of the transmitter. I had my quad go into failsafe and return home. It was only about 500 meters away at the time. I am now working with these parts. This secraft system is working better with some modifications. Still making adjustments. At least the monitor is up higher and no longer blocking the transmitter. The weight of it is on a strap that goes up to my shoulders. This allows my to have a light touch on the controls.

http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1064
http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1059
http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1334
http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1264

Attachments

• 032-dji-f550.jpg
    032-dji-f550.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 033-dji-f550.jpg
    033-dji-f550.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 583
  • 034-dji0f550.jpg