DJI Ground Station - missing(?) features

hover.ch

I'm using GS for a few weeks now. Besides a nice (Google 3D) map and a perfect stabilization by WKM, I'm missing some rather important ground control features.
Please confirm or, even better, help me out with workarounds.

Missing features / questions:

1. Is there a way of "looking sideways" while flying a waypoint mission, i.e., flying the copter other than nose forward?
  2. After interrupting a waypoint mission by switching to atti or manual mode, I want to continue the waypoint flight. How can I do so?
  3. How can I record a waypoint, i.e., store the current copter position for later flights?
  4. How can I edit the target waypoint of an already flown mission? Trying to move it in edit mode, it changes from yellow to green but cannot be dragged anymore.
  5. Once activated, is there a way of suppressing the home point (huge "H"-sign clutters the map)?
  6. How can I prevent GS from turning the map (to North), e.g. when displaying the home point?
  7. How can I PAUSE and CONTINUE a waypoint mission without searching my notebook's cursor in bright light and clicking tiny buttons?
    In other words, is there a possibility to add a keyboard shortcut for such basic commands?
Thank you!

hover.ch

Q2. Solved. R/C: Switch back to GPS-Atti mode; GS: press PAUSE, then KEYBOARD MODE, then CONTINUE - that's it.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Question 7:
This was a common problem we encountered while commissioning remote gas well sites in the winter in the GWN, i.e., Canada.
The bright sun especially when the ground was covered with snow made the PC screens nearly impossible to see even from inside an SUV.
I believe that the software that comes with the Mouse, i.e., Logitech in particular, allow the user to configure the size and color and shape of the mouse pointer.
This would allow an enlarged, darker and blinking mouse pointer that should be visible in most bright light conditions.
The other trick was to install a windshield solar reflector shield on the inside of the windshield above the dash.

I'm using GS for a few weeks now. Besides a nice (Google 3D) map and a perfect stabilization by WKM, I'm missing some rather important ground control features.
Please confirm or, even better, help me out with workarounds.

Missing features / questions:

1. Is there a way of "looking sideways" while flying a waypoint mission, i.e., flying the copter other than nose forward?
  2. After interrupting a waypoint mission by switching to atti or manual mode, I want to continue the waypoint flight. How can I do so?
  3. How can I record a waypoint, i.e., store the current copter position for later flights?
  4. How can I edit the target waypoint of an already flown mission? Trying to move it in edit mode, it changes from yellow to green but cannot be dragged anymore.
  5. Once activated, is there a way of suppressing the home point (huge "H"-sign clutters the map)?
  6. How can I prevent GS from turning the map (to North), e.g. when displaying the home point?
  7. How can I PAUSE and CONTINUE a waypoint mission without searching my notebook's cursor in bright light and clicking tiny buttons?
    In other words, is there a possibility to add a keyboard shortcut for such basic commands?
Thank you!

hover.ch

Yes, and because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts (e.g. for Pause and Continue), I'm now using "Macro Recorder", a PC tool which allows for recording mouse movements and to bind these recordings to key strokes (e.g. p = pause, c = continue, ...). That's a workaround but still a big step forward.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I assume this is required if one cannot see the mouse pointer or needs to react very quickly without taking eyes off the MR. But I also noticed the following statement from one of the free macro recorder websites:

Observation: to work properly Macro Recorder needs that screen windows have the same position as when recording process has taken place.

Also if I accidently move my mouse too far one way or the other, the entire GCS screen disappears!!!!

Seems one need another pilot (at least initially) ready to instantly take over control of the MR for the alternate radio system if the GCS operator gets confused and/or responds too slowly to needed actions before the bird hits a tree or other object!!!

Yes, and because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts (e.g. for Pause and Continue), I'm now using "Macro Recorder", a PC tool which allows for recording mouse movements and to bind these recordings to key strokes (e.g. p = pause, c = continue, ...). That's a workaround but still a big step forward.

hover.ch

I made pretty promising attempts using MacroScheduler in order to simplify GS usage. If somebody is interested in details I'm willing to share my experience.

IMHO, GS's "user interface" is designed like a poor office application, with tiny fonts, buttons you can hardly recognize as such and the need to use the mouse everywhere. An app which might work if run in an office sitting right in front of your screen with your mouse at hand. It is hardly usable in the field, especially if you have no GS operator buddy nearby. With MacroScheduler "on top of GS", I can make up for some GS deficiencies, not all, of course.

snurre

I agree. The user interface has big room for improvement. It is more like a development prototype, not refined for mission critical field ops.

hover.ch

Yeap. I would wish that DJI invests some effort in making GS more reliable and field ops proove rather than creating iPad apps for WKM. I can hardly believe that any serious pilot would use an iPad for controlling his expensive MR.

But honestly I believe that DJI's strenght is hardware and flight control algorithms rather than intuitive, easy-to-use software. As long as it looks 3D/fancy/cool, they seem to be happy. Usability is not a priority issue for them, IMHO.