DJI F550 Wobbles while decending NAZA

DJI F550 Wobbles in place (not toilet bowl) while descending unless I descend slowly. This happens both with and without the load of a camera.

Any ideas what I should adjust with the NAZA assistant?

At one line below the central hover line on my DX 8 throttle I get the wobbly descent.

Any tips are appreciated.

Tahoe Ed

You can increase the vertical gains but the real issue is that you are descending into the prop wash. Move forward, backward or circle while descending and you will avoid the effect.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Someone already mentioned the main issue, prop wash is the main cause of wobble on decent. Move forward while descending and it will help, lowering your gains will just make your 550 sluggish overall.

chipwich

One more factor observed. My brother was testing some very stiff CF props on his P2 last weekend, and we both noticed less wobble during a vertical decent as compared to the stock props. Not saying that it is the primary cause, but it does seem to help.

SoCal Blur

Someone already mentioned the main issue, prop wash is the main cause of wobble on decent. Move forward while descending and it will help, lowering your gains will just make your 550 sluggish overall.

Exactly. The technical term is "Settling with Power" I've had it happen to me in a real helicopter. You pull up on the collective but instead of going up, you go down faster.

Attachments

• 20140420_085828_Appleton St.jpg
    20140420_085828_Appleton St.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
View attachment 22241Thanks for all the tips. I stay moving one direction or another now while descending and avoid the wobbles. I think I'll avoid adjusting the gains as my F550 is sluggish already when flying the Sony NEX6 underneath. Loving the photos from the NEX after flying a gopro for over a year. Here is a link to some of my pics from the NEX 6:
https://plus.google.com/photos/104688579048759425474/albums/6005237899664468145

Feel free to follow my on G+ if you're a "plusser".

Ha, small world Jim, I was the one that commented on your photo on G+ and you asked where my sense of humor was.... lol

Glad you got it figured out.