DJI F550 which replacement props?

AEA737

New to the DJI 550

Hi guys.

I´m new to hexacopters, I fly RC helicopters and planning to buy a 550 next month for my B-day (good excuse for the wife:livid:) and doing some research.

I see the Graupner 10x5 prop comes in right or left turning. What would be the one for the F550 please? I have read the 550 manual and know that half the motors turn clockwise and the others CCW. I assume the propellers are the same, just have to set the cables accordingly to get the proper rotation.

Thanks for your help and very useful forum. I´m getting a lot of info for my upcoming build.

Javier

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have been thinking about this as well. I flew the F550 with a 4S and stock 10" props today and the motors got a bit warm. Then after a bit of research I saw DJI recommend 4S with 8" props and 3S with 10" props.

Has anyone tried the 4S battery with 8" Graupners? Those props look pretty small to me!

Gunter.

tumad

Hi all

I have noticed that no one has mentioned the APC 10x3.8 or 10x4.7SF range of props as used by a few other multicopter manufacturers.

Does anybody have any experience on using these on the standard motors with either 3 or 4s batteries? I am assuming a F550 with at least a 4000mah battery and loaded with gimbal and possibly a Sony CX730/760.

Thanks all and regards

jonnydonut

I have a 4s 5000 battery. I guess I need to get the 8" graupner props. Only problem is I have no idea where to start as far as making them fit. I'm a noob to RC.

fvg007

I am running F550 with 3S ....Looking for 10" replacement as well...anyone can share where is good deal and ship to Canada as well?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I have an issue with the Graupners. While they fit right onto the DJIs, the threads on the DJI motor's prop adapter/shaft don't run deep enough to hold the Graupners tight. The hub on the graupner is shorter than the hub on the DJI props. How do you guys get around this? Do you use a washer or something?

Bella7821

I've had 2 DJI F550's and one F450 and ordered Graupners about 5 different times and I've never had a problem with the stock prop nut not tightening all the way.
I do put a tad of locktite paste on a toothpick and put it inside the prop not so nothing gets on the prop.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Lock tight won't help. The nut simply runs out of thread before it reaches the top of the prop hub preventing a snug fit. You could put all the locktite in the world on there and the nut would still run out of thread. But I got some 6/16th washer and they fit well. This should use up a bit of the space.

Bella7821

Lock tight won't help. The nut simply runs out of thread before it reaches the top of the prop hub preventing a snug fit. You could put all the locktite in the world on there and the nut would still run out of thread. But I got some 6/16th washer and they fit well. This should use up a bit of the space.

I know locktite won't help with the prop spinning issue, I was letting you know how to make the nut stay on the CCW motors.
I almost had a crash because the prop spun some when the nut loosened up on one of the counter clock wise motors. The locktite worked like a charm.
I guess a thin washer is the only solution for you.
Some others have had the same issue, I just wonder from my two F550's and one F450 I've never experienced that.

@ Explorocam,

I also am wanting to upgrade my props.. but can see that the thickness of the blades may cause and issue. Some of the props I see, comes with some rubber washers.. I have not gotten while still reading and learning.. but I am sorta' glad you brought that up. Didn't your props come with washers? I did a quick google and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pair-8045-Carbon-fiber-propeller-8X4-5-prop-CW-CCW-Hexrcopter-3K-Twill-weave-/221094644959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a448cdf#ht_2382wt_886

I
recently purchase some blades for my S800 and notice the thickness was much different, but on the S800 it did not matter that much due to that 2 little holes on each side.

Can you upload close up shot of the blade on the motor with and without the screw nut? are you using the original nut with that point on the end? could the point be stopping it from going farther?

KS

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Thanks for the input I do like it. I might try Lock-tite but others have suggested not to use it as it can damage the plastic. If I use Lock-tite I'll only use a tiny bit.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Sure I can upload some photos in a couple of days. the pointy top of the nut could be the issue. BTW, thanks for the link.