DJI F550 crashed and not sure why

So we were wrapping up an aerial video shoot of a $1.3billion oil rig project this weekend when my DJI F550 crashed. I'm not yet sure what the cause was but have read about issues with DJI motors and ESC's. I did resolder all bullets when I originally received the machine back in November and have done many video shoots since then.

My questions are:

1. Which is more prone to fail on these? Motor or ESC?
2. What motor do I need to replace with? I'm considering the heavy lift kit with AVROTO motors from Aerial Media Pros
3. What aftermarket ESC works well on these without having to do any firmware flashing, etc?

I have work coming up and need to get this thing back in the air...reliably.

hjls3

were you using the NAZA FC? If so, I have found it to be a great FC but not exactly trustworthy, meaning you can have lots of great flights, then all of the sudden. It is super finicky. There are numerous weird things that can happen with that FC. Sunlight and vibrations just to name a couple. I know I have had a weird unexplained incident or two and that is why I only fly the NAZA in a big field surrounded by trees and water. I do not want anything weird to happen when I am near a neighborhood, human etc etc. DO you have any footage from the crash? Pictures of your setup?

abonto

When you put it back together again, did it fly correctly? I find the NAZA finicky when it's near magnetic field, high voltage power lines, other radio and big antennas.

I took the machine apart tonight and two motors feel somewhat gritty when turned. Not sure what caused this crash but am replacing all motors with the newer heavy lift kit from Aerial Media Pros and one ESC (that was damaged in crash).

abonto

I took the machine apart tonight and two motors feel somewhat gritty when turned. Not sure what caused this crash but am replacing all motors with the newer heavy lift kit from Aerial Media Pros and one ESC (that was damaged in crash).
Now, you'll never know, it's probably a motor problem or ESC problem...I wish these flight controllers have incident logs on it, sort of like a black box. :)

hjls3

May I ask why you think the cause was motor or esc? Also, i used to fly with the AMP extensions and Axi motors, i found with 4s that the 11 Graupners were tons of fun.

Yep. Not sure but I've read numerous threads about failed motors. I'll take my chance with the ESC's but will do a good bit of bench and low altitude testing before attaching a new gimbal.

I'm honing in on motors and ESCs because I've read of countless crashes due to both (more so with DJI motors). I'm not going to blame this on the NAZA just yet since it has no moving parts and doesn't really generate any heat. Not saying it's not the NAZA but it's low on the list of possible causes.

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

cool, i hate to say it but it might be just one of those things you never figure out. i have had one of those. i had video of it, on board and from ground, even after that and numerous professional opinions - to date dont know what happen. have fun with your AMP stuff, Patrick is a great guy and I have always enjoyed dealing with him.

Yep, changing motors and one ESC for sure. Was shooting an oil rig job and have more work this weekend. Some would ask why I don't go with a more reputable brand. Simple, these are cheap to repair and we're doing a fair amount of flying over water lately (using GoPro). I just need to have a set of motors and ESCs that won't fail more than once/year!

I'm honing in on motors...

The DJI motors are not worth the time and cost of the other equipment invested.
My first DJIF550 had the factory motors.
I would not trust them even if other members had success.
Call them lucky!

Try to step up into the next best thing in the motor world.
These guys here on the forum could help you out with which ones to pick.

I have Patrick's F550 extended version with Avrotos and GPS upgrade.
It's been resurrected from my father's trial crash in IOC mode.

Get an extra DJI F550 frame/board kit, 10 extra props or so, and some lights for easy navigation of the arms.

I may get some trash for it, but don't put your money in the air with those F550 DJI motors.
Your luck can't last that long.

Agreed. I resoldered all motor bullet connectors when I first received the machine since folks said the cold welds were prone to breaking. All ESC/motor wires were tied in place quite well with slack.

Two motors felt gritty after the crash but one actually feels like it has a bearing issue.

Berleen0

Guys its really nice and informative community i get many useful informations from here which is really nice and informative i hope i will get more useful information from here.....

matwelli

thing more along the lines if the spam sketch. but reserving judgement.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2