DJI F550 and heavier camera

I'm looking to improve the quality of stills and secondly, video I make with my MR. Currently use a GoPro Hero 2 on my stock F-550. Stills do not enlarge well.

I'm ok with a lightweight rigid mount. I don't need the cost of weight of a maneuverable gimbal at this point. I'm OK with leveling the horizon on still images in Photoshop.

Looks like a Sony NEX weighs in at about 13.5 oz w lens.

Has anyone flown a Sony NEX camera or Canon Vixia HF M41 camcorder using an F-550 without a heavy lift kit? I'd need to custom make a slung mounting bracket, maybe from aluminum.
I'm using the new DJI 10x10.38 props.

I'll be weighing things soon to see how close I come to the max recommended weight of about 5.2 lb.

Thanks in advance for any tips or photos of your set up.

rilot

If your Nex + Lens = 13.5oz (382g) then that's only 100g heavier than my GoPro3 + Gimbal + FPV tx.
I don't see it being an issue as long as you don't load it up further.

swisser

I sometimes use a 450-sized quad with 10" props to carry a hard-mounted Sony Nex AND a GoPro at the same time. Experimentation is your friend.

Here is a cost effective strategy for modifying your F550 to handle more AUW, i.e., heavier cameras. http://www.rctimer.com/product_809.html
It enables you to move beyond the limited prop diameters of the standard F550 airframe so that your motor/prop combos remain in the sweet spot for efficiency and flight time. I use 15 x 5 propellers and the Turnigy Multistar motors shown here.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4830_420Kv_22Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html however there may be better choices now.

Treg

Captain Fudpucker
I have flown my DJI Hex at 2700g with 9" props and no problems, just a little sluggish.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
The general rule in adding extra weight to a copter without compromising maneuverability and alot of flight time is to move up to higher voltage batteries, lower kv motors and larger props. since the stock dji escs can take 4s lipo, a 4s lipo setup with a 650-900kv 4s capable motor and a 10 inch prop ought to give you plenty of lift, longer flight times and room to add a nex 5 compatible gimbal later on

Freebird

Hi - I've got a 550 with 4s, running 8" props. Near limit on weight: 2400gms, with GoPro, gimbal and downlink. Flight times are poor but I understood that using 10" props with supplied DJI (920kv) motors could cause motor overheating. Any ideas/views?

rilot

I'm running 10x5 Graupners on 4S on my F550 that weighs around the same as yours. Motors get warm but not hot.
I pull less current at hover with the 10s than with 8s. 10s on mine will pull a lot of current at full throttle but how often do you do a full throttle climb?