DJI F450 Pulling back on takeoff

AuzQuad

Hey my f450 stock with, naza lite, im using a Futaba T8J with all trims set to 0,can start up rotors but when i got to take of it pulls back as if it wants to do a backflip,this happens in all mode's {manual,gps} , i am a noob when it comes to quadcopters"first build"
is there anything i would be doing wrong/ tips to setup?
thnxView attachment 14916View attachment 14917

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 351
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 303

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Make sure your Naza is facing the right way, esc outs go to the front of the quad copter, if not this can happen. Make sure your props are on correctly too, this can also cause this issue.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
From looking at your photos, your props look like they are on wrong. see here

5-30-20137-13-08PM_zps50fbcbae.png

From the direction of the above motors, your props leading edge (high part of the blade) should be rotating in the very same direction as illustrated. The battery you are using is also probably very heavy for a basic F450, I used to use 2500mAh 3S LiPos on mine with a flight time of around 12-14 minutes.

One other thing, get rid of them damaged props before you trash the whole rig. Both of your pictures show your props are on incorrectly, reading of the manual would have shown you this.

M1 is on incorrectly
M2 is on Correctly
M3 is on Correctly
M4 is on incorrectly

What is front on this 450? I presume RED is front? You need to swap M1 and M4, make sure your motors are turning as per the above picture and try again. How many cell battery is that? if it is a 3 cell, change out your props for the 10" that came with it, if it is a 4 cell, leave the 9" on it.

One last thing, your diplex antenna on the receiver, the wires should be at 90° to each other, not 180°

Last edited by a moderator:

AuzQuad

Hey so my White is the front of copter, is my gps arrow have to point that direction?,and do i just flip over the incorrect blades?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Well now you have more of a problem, if white is your front we have to rework everything, your naza looks like it is facing towards the red, red is normally front on these but it really don't matter. If you are going to do front white, make sure the naza has its ESC wires facing front. Make sure M1 is on the white right leg if you're looking from behind, I.E. red are in front of you and white behind them, M1 one is right front, M2 is left white, M3 is left red, M4 is right red.

Make sure your ESCs correspond with the motor number, and make sure your motors rotate in the proper direction as posted above...

M1 rotates CCW or to the left
M2 rotates CW or to the right
M3 rotates CCW or to the left
M4 rotates CW or to the right looking down on the F450.

If the motors are not turning the right way, unplug 2 of the bullet connectors and swap them, any 2 of them will do it, it acts just like a 3 phase circuit, any two will make the motor spin the other way.

Your GPS or should we say the Compass should face in the proper direction, normally to the front of the craft but set for the correct declination. You will have to go to http://geomag.org/models/igrfplus-declination.html and figure out your correct declination and set accordingly.

Entering in Melbourne Australia gave me a declination of 11° which is a positive number, so you would need to face that arrow, 11° right of the front of the 450, if I was in London England it would be 1°, so 1° right of the front of the 450. Depending where you are, depends on the declination which is a variation in magnetic north headings... very important unless you enjoy the toilet bowl affect when in GPS.

Get it flying and worry about that later. here is a great video on it,

Last edited by a moderator:

AuzQuad

wow your helpful, im currently swapping esc cables,programming controller again,checking orientation, ill let you know how i go thanks heaps man :D

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Your welcome, I was in the same boat as you when I first built my 450. Anyway, bed time for me, you should be ok now, if not I will check back when I get up... have fun buddy, happy flying.

AuzQuad

Thank You so so so much deanot your a legend among us, quadcopter working like a dream all i have to do now is adjust the declination. :D

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Glad to get you in the air, for your gains, use this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au16aK6Q-0p0dENkdXVGVHJLRm5fRTFQdjBZbUhxZ3c&pli=1#gid=0

Look down the list until you find something that matches yours, I would give you my gains but they will not help you out, I am running a TBS Discovery on a 4s with 9x5 Graupners. Your gains should probably be around the 120 mark, pretty sure that was what I had on my 450, maybe 110. Try it out, if it is too twitchy, turn the gains down in increments of 10 until you get close and if it wobbles turn them up a little, then just fine tune it. On my radio, I use a spare channel and my gain knob to control some of my basic gains.

When you do the declination, be sure to calibrate the compass, don't wear jewelry and stay away from objects like houses, steel structures and most important anything with iron in it.

cpmboy

...and before every flight, balance your quad to the best that you can so that the motors will have or almost have balance workrate in each one.