DJI F450 Heavy Lifting?

So as a point of curiosity, is it possible to lift anything more than a GoPro with the DJI F450 frame? I've always assumed that a GoPro was the limit, however just seen a phantom on YouTube lift a DSLR - albeit pretty unstable & limited flight time.

Has anyone done this already? Even if it means upgrading motors & rotors, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on whether this is at all possible in theory or in reality.

Thanks

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Sure it can but would you really want to use a D-SLR as your landing gear??

Pete

Bowley

I use my F450 to fly a Canon S95....still a fairly lightweight camera, I switch between a S95 on Xaircraft 2x gimbal for stills and a Gopro on a Brushless gimbal. need to throw together another F450 from bits I have lying about to avoid the hassle of reconfiguring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

That S95 is a great camera. Light weight and takes awesome photos... what's not to love. I used the S90 for a ton of my photos over the last couple years, but sadly it fell from about 20 meters last fall and I have yet to get it fixed.

Bowley

Absolutely love it, cracking camera for just 10mp. This one from my last shoot, would almost match anything from my DSLR

View attachment 13098

The S100 is by all accounts better, and not much over £200 in UK, could be a good replacement for your S90

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 487

Good point, Pete. Thanks for the info, I already have an s95, but hadn't thought to use it for this.

Bowley, can you see what you're shooting with the S95? Or do you just point the quad in the general direction & hope for the best?

Bowley

I have it connected to a VTx so frame shots with a 7" monitor mounted on my Tx. One down side here is that the USB is common to AV out and remote control so its one or the other unless you can wire up a fully populated canon style USB lead. I get round it by using a mechanical focus/shutter mech. prior to this I used the CHDK Intervalometer script.