Hoverfly Dji esc

Please forgive me if this has been answered somewhere before, I did look, but can't find anything definitive:

Has anyone used DJI 30amp Opto ESC's, normally used with Naza and Wookong controllers, with other flight controllers, specifically Hoverfly Pro, and what has their experience been?

Thanks in advance.

marc

RaySuave

Please forgive me if this has been answered somewhere before, I did look, but can't find anything definitive:

Has anyone used DJI 30amp Opto ESC's, normally used with Naza and Wookong controllers, with other flight controllers, specifically Hoverfly Pro, and what has their experience been?

Looking for this same info as well for using DJI 30amp Opto ESC's with Hoverfl Pro. Have seen other threads pertaining to OPTO ESC's and HFP, but never for the DJI brand ESC's.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The DJI ESCs are same thing as Turnigy Plush hardware less the BEC under the shrink wrap, just slightly modified firmware to eliminate all the programmable options since they're meant to only be used on multirotors. The DJI should work just fine with any multirotor flight controller you care to hook it to. I have used them with a H/F pro board however I reflashed them with BLHeli firmware well before that occured so I can't say how the stock firmware would work though I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Ken

RaySuave

The DJI ESCs are same thing as Turnigy Plush hardware less the BEC under the shrink wrap, just slightly modified firmware to eliminate all the programmable options since they're meant to only be used on multirotors. The DJI should work just fine with any multirotor flight controller you care to hook it to. I have used them with a H/F pro board however I reflashed them with BLHeli firmware well before that occured so I can't say how the stock firmware would work though I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Ken

I just got a black HFP in a bundle I purchased. I normally fly nothing but Naza but trying to test the HFP to see if it works and whether or not I would like to sell it. I got the firmware updated to the latest version. I have the 30A opto DJI ESC's with the DJI 920kv motors and using a Spektrum AR8000 rxr. I am having issues getting power to the receiver, with everything plugged in per the manual, the receiver will not power up, probably because of the OPTOs. When calibrating my radio with the board hooked to the computer (no ESCs attached), I had to attach a UBEC to one of the ESC ports to get the receiver to power up since it appears the USB doesnt power the Receiver.

Do I have to provide separate power to the receiver since I am using the OPTOs or is there another way to get power from the board for the receiver?

I'm having much the same problem with my Maytech 40A Opto ESC's...No power to my Futaba R2008SB receiver.

I have a 5v UBEC that I could easily wire into my power system. What I don't have, however, is a spare channel on the receiver to plug the UBEC's power into. Could I splice into the power/ground on one of the servo cables between the HFP and the receiver?

Aerovideo

Unless you have an octocopter you can use one of the empty esc ports on the Hoverfly pro to plug your UBECs power. I've done that before, but if you're using all the esc ports for an octocopter then that idea is out.

RaySuave

Unless you have an octocopter you can use one of the empty esc ports on the Hoverfly pro to plug your UBECs power. I've done that before, but if you're using all the esc ports for an octocopter then that idea is out.

Thanks for the reply. It kinda sucks being that the HFP boards have been revised a few times over the years and still lacks a convenient way or instructions to utilize OPTO ESC's.

elossam

Remove the airscrews. sometimes esc + usb + master battery for setup with the PC makes one or a couple of the the engines to run at 100%. with hfp and dji escs

RaySuave

To power the receiver, I am just using a small 2s battery. I think I have everything close to worked out as far as setup with the OPTO esc's. Looks like my last issue is that the motors will not throttle up past idle speed. The transmitter channels and associated travels are working correctly via the PC setup program so not sure whats causing the issue. Any suggestions...?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaySuave

To power the receiver, I am just using a small 2s battery. I think I have everything close to worked out as far as setup with the OPTO esc's. Looks like my last issue is that the motors will not throttle up past idle speed. The transmitter channels and associated travels are working correctly via the PC setup program so not sure whats causing the issue. Any suggestions...?

Alright, finally got things working, turns out I had to set the quad configuration to "X Mode" in the "Pro Info" tab of the setup utility. I have looked at this tab many times before buts its always grayed out....unless you connect to the HFP board while this tab is displayed. These HFP guys do a horrible job of updating their manual to cover new software releases. On their site, the only available manual mentions absolutely nothing about having to set this configuration and instructions on how to do it. I have spent the last few weeks playing guessing games trying to use this FC due to the lack of documentation. I'm very surprised since this board is almost 3 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

workshop

The HoverFly guys are onto other things; we haven't seen them here for months. There are some announcements on the FaceBook page alluding to future product but few details.