DJI Big SALE everywhere....??? Give-away party for a reason.....

ChrisViperM

While I was hunting for some spare parts for my "beloved" DJI S800, I realized strange things going on at a lot of the DJI dealers.......everything in connection with S800 + Wookong + Zenmuse seems to be on sale in a big scale. On the S800 + WKM + Zen combo you can save a hefty € 1.500. Some dealers are honest and just show the price reduction, some try with irritating descriptions, like: "....comes with the new V4 ESC's blablabla..." or "....S800 V2 EVO..." By asking by email they are mumbling something like "....mhhhh, yeah, it's the old S800, but we fit it with the "new" EVO arms, it is a one-time occassion for that price, blablabla...."

On the other hand there were some news at the NAB 2013 from DJI about the coming "overhauled" S800 (S800 EVO), a new flight control (ATM) and a new Zenmuse (Zenmuse EVO).....

If I compare the pre-order madness when they introducesd the S800 (and a bit later the Zenmuse), with pre-order payments and all the other accompanying marketing machinery, for my taste it's a bit too quiet around the new DJI stuff, especially if the launch (according to some rumors) is within the next few weeks. On not one single dealer web-site you can see any announcements about the new product (that includes DJI web-site), nothing, nada, nix....This is even more interesting if you have read the DJI statement that "All testing has been done and it's very close to be released to the market...."

Lastly there is the introduction of the new GoPro Zenmuse, where the marketing runs in a complete different way.....info's everywhere, pre-orders avalible and so on.....

Is it possible, that the GoPro Zenmuse is a new product for DJI and no dealer has to first get rid of the old, previous model .....??? :highly_amused:
Is it possible that there is complete news-barrier to give the dealers the opportunity to get rid of useless S800's, unreliable WKM's and Zenmuses....???

Apperantely no dealer knows anything about the launch-date for the EVO stuff, but some people also still believe in Father Christmas.....

Now imagine you are a newbee and didn't really follow what's going on in the Multirotor Universe.....you look at these deal offers and think: Ouuuhhhh, that's a cool deal......only to find out by the time you receive your "worthless" parcel that - like Magic - over night there are the new (and hopefully better) products avalible. I can tell you, if that newbee was me, I would go through the roof for being taken for a ride.....might book a flight to China with my favorite baseball bat in the luggage.

In short words, I suspect that DJI is forcing all dealers to shut up in order to sell as much as possible of the S800 & Co crap before the EVO launch, otherwise all remaining stock would only be useful as fire-wood....and that means to find enough idiots which are willing to spend their money and invest in a seriously outdated product. If somebody knows what he is doing and can live with the limitations, than he can score a great deal at the moment, but I guess this is the minority.

My question: Are we taken for a ride again like so many times before, or will there be a time in the future where these jerks finally realize that we are grown up people and just don't need lies (directly or indirectly), and that we are willing to invest some serious cash if the product and the service is right.

Apart from that, I predict that if the EVO line is not absolutely spot-less, DJI will just go down the drain, like so many smart-a*ss people before.....

Chris

CrashMaster

Or you could look at it a different way. This is the time to buy the WKM, S800 etc.. A well tested and reasonably steady system beyond the means of most until now. The poor suckers who buy the new Evo stuff will end up being unpaid Beta testers just like so many other Chinese products released not ready for marketing, no backup and no spares for months.

951UAV

I guess you could wait forever based on trying to have the newest and greatest product. I know that DJI catches a lot of flack but they are the reason everyone else is trying so hard. It does suck to be last to the party, imagine the sucker that buys the 13K Movi brushless gimbal, I just met some folks at the Cinegear that will have a knock off coming out at 6-800.00 range. Now that would hurt.

CrashMaster

The only thing that worries me about the WKM is that they have just released the V2 IMU just before the Evo, which I am told is the same but in a metal case to combat the disruption to the delicate pressure sensors caused by certain wind conditions. Although it is not available in the UK yet I was told the same can be achieved by taping some lint or cotton wool over the hole, not sealing it but reducing the chance of wind sucking the air our of the hole, making the sensors detect a sudden drop of pressure and assume they are higher than they should be so drop at speed.

Electro 2

The driving force behind this is the S800 will be replaced in a few months by an all new machine. Leaks have it with round 25mm CF arm tubes and a built-in vibration absorbtion set-up. All this is non-collapsible. And, of course the "A2" WK-M replacement on board, as well. Originally called the "A2M", they changed the name for obvious reasons after it was shown at NAB.

Lanzar

I guess you could wait forever based on trying to have the newest and greatest product. I know that DJI catches a lot of flack but they are the reason everyone else is trying so hard. It does suck to be last to the party, imagine the sucker that buys the 13K Movi brushless gimbal, I just met some folks at the Cinegear that will have a knock off coming out at 6-800.00 range. Now that would hurt.
This all are talk and nobody for now has even 1 gimball to show on the kopter that can carry 5d with stable performace and no roll drift. Here is where alexmoss boards and other stuff fails until they fix it and add some axelerometers and some stuff. FOr handhealdit is ok but on the kopter all the stuff changes. Speed, force and vibrations efect the gimball too much. It is the same iff you want to build a z15 handheald. Just the price off materials is close to 6k. Like wkm, z15, display, paralinx or something, remote ...Well lets see and wait. Probably it will be next year before we anything that will come close to moovi gimball.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well I am with Chris.

I reckon they are trying to get rid of all their old, faulty gear before releasing all the EVO stuff. The only halfway decent thing DJI makes (on the multi-rotor SIDE) is the Zenmuse, but IT don't feature that highly in the deals, which mainly push the S800 and the WKM.

As for a new airframe with 25mm carbon tubes etc., Droidworx and CineStar already do it properly so why bother? The only attractive feature of the S800 is its easy breakdown for travel. Once that is gone it holds no further appeal.

As I have said before, as soon as a viable alternative to the Zenmuse hits the market DJI will be left with just selling Phantoms to dïckheads, because when we don't need the Zenmuse, we won't need any of their ropey gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.....Droidworx and CineStar already do it properly ........

ahem! so does Aerdro. look in any textbook on aerodynamics and you'll find a chart of cross sections and their drag coefficients, airfoils are most aerodynamic but next is the round shape. squares are way down there and truss structures aren't even considered!

somewhere down on my to-do list is a more streamlined arm shape but for now round it is. round is good for torsional strength so it's not all bad. :)

An aerodynamic arm would be cool, and there are already several sources for the tubes in carbon and aluminum, but the increase in efficiency would not likely be worth the increase in complexity and cost when factoring in all of the clamps and associated hardware that would also need to be manufactured. Standardization of sizing between manufactures will also take longer since it is not a simple round tube. Also since the tubes are in the turbulent prop wash anyway the added effeciency would likely be minimal.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
An aerodynamic arm would be cool, and there are already several sources for the tubes in carbon and aluminum, but the increase in efficiency would not likely be worth the increase in complexity and cost when factoring in all of the clamps and associated hardware that would also need to be manufactured. Standardization of sizing between manufactures will also take longer since it is not a simple round tube. Also since the tubes are in the turbulent prop wash anyway the added effeciency would likely be minimal.

clamping would be difficult if the airfoil were carried through the motor and frame clamps which doesn't have to be the case.

in case it wasn't obvious, the aerodynamic benefit comes from offering less resistance to the prop wash passing over, it isn't necessarily referring to airflow from forward motion. i think you got that 'onlocation' but i thought i should clarify.

in case it wasn't obvious, the aerodynamic benefit comes from offering less resistance to the prop wash passing over, it isn't necessarily referring to airflow from forward motion. i think you got that 'onlocation' but i thought i should clarify.

Of course, and what I'm saying is the airflow from the prop wash is very turbulent and also changes directions relative to the arms, and therefor the benefits of fixed aerodynamic shaped arms would likely be minimal at best. To see any real benefit you would likely need to figure out the average relative angle of attack of oncoming air the arms are experiencing during a normal hovering session directly under the props, then align the aerodynamic arms to that angle which would be alternating with your alternating prop rotation directions.

A miss calculation of this angle or simply placing the arms vertically like one may first assume could actually decrease aerodynamic efficiency compared to the round tubes. Of course the precision needed for this angle and maximum possible drag reduction is also greatly influenced by the airfoil used, and that is the one variable you can't really control unless you spend a lot of money in tooling for a custom production run of tubes.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I like Droidworx airflow plastic thingies. I don't really think they are that necessary but they are cool. I think with a coax all this little stuff becomes more important. As for DJI..... let god sort em out!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... or the devil :devilish:

BTW Bart 'n' onlocation, go find another thread for all that hifalutin' nonsense. We were quietly enjoying a bit of DJI bashing an' then you come barging in getting all techricul 'n' stuff.

:)

When trying to develop the perfect MR airframe with high strength to weight ratio, vibration free and very little air drag, the bicycle wheel seems to remain unbeatable.
Not sure how that concept could work with MRs but having worked for 30 + years inside of a cubicle I still like to think outside the box!

ewr

I noticed a lot of sale things also. I was extremely pissed when I saw they now call the V1 Naza the "NAZA lite" and sell it with GPS for $230...when I just bought a V1 w/GPS for $430 3 weeks ago. Guess that's technology for ya :(

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
...... the bicycle wheel seems to remain unbeatable.....

Well that little post would be far more engaging with a bit of expansion. As it is, I can't get past the image of bicycle wheels flying around.

Guess that's technology for ya :(

No that is just plain bad marketing from a bullshït company that has not one solitary grain of understanding of how far they are alienating their barely established customer base.

I am SO looking forward to the commercial release of a Zenmuse alternative and the subsequent reduction in DJI's fortunes.

I was under the impression that DJI have 3 Naza models Naza Lite, Naza 1 and Naza 2, Naza lite uses limited firmware which places some restrictions on its capabilities that is why it is marketed at a lower price. Naza 1 with the latest firmware + optional hardware has the same capabilities as the Naza 2.
Regards - bruce

ChrisViperM

No that is just plain bad marketing from a bullshït company that has not one solitary grain of understanding of how far they are alienating their barely established customer base.

I am SO looking forward to the commercial release of a Zenmuse alternative and the subsequent reduction in DJI's fortunes.

I guess DJI is the most hated company in the MR universe at the moment.....the question is: WHY ???

Every school-boy from the deepest swamps would know that the way DJI is doing business is a role model for failure. The other day is was talking to a friend who is doing a lot of business with China (and knows nothing about MR's) about all the things which we experienced in the past with DJI, and he was just smiling.....A few things he told me:

They have no clue what customer care means (in general)....they are not used to a culture where free speach and critizism is a vital part....since they could only grow that big as a manufacturing country by copying things, they (at least in their minds) think - once they invent something on their own - they are the crown of the technical universe now....they hardly speak any English (why should they, China has the biggest population on Earth, and they speak Chinese)....he went on and on like that.

That's why we can shout and scream as much as we like, they obviously don't understand one word. The only guys who could understand (at least can read) are the guys from DJI US ( Colin Quinn is one of them), but they are just window dummies with no saying at all within DJI....

In short words, it's partly a cultural problem.....

The other interesting thing he told me was the way some start-ups are financed in China.....you can get venture capital there, but oh boy, if you don't produce (financial) results, you are in for some serious trouble.....and that's what we have seen (and still do) over and over with DJI's customer care......every bad decission they made so far was to maximize profits, even by taking the risk and chasing slowly even the most loyal customer away....a repair center in the US and Europe means investment (loss of short-term profit), extensive spare-part centers in the US and Europe means investment (loss of short-term profit), English speaking personell to work actively in the major forums means investment (loss of short-term profit), taking faulty product from the market and replace it for free (or reasonable low cost) with working units means investment (loss of short-term profit).....also the ghostly Big-Sale at the moment and the lack of info about the EVO-line leaves a scam-like taste in some mouths....

Long term strategie and quick profits never went together very well....and it looks like they have decided (or have been forced to that decission) for the quick money.....God bless them

Chris

saidquad

MombasaFlash and ChrisViperM. I am glad you do your best to inform other people about what a disgraceful company is DJI. If I was good in English I would express myself about DJI exactly the same way as you do. There are probably thousands people like us who have been cheated by DJI but many of them do not speak English to visit this web site and tell their story. I wish there were some sort of authorities in any country to avoid importing goods from companies like DJI unless they learn more about customer care services. DJI continues to fool people and gets richer as long as people are not informed about the truth about DJI. It is a real shame for a serious company in 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century to advertise a product as professional without extensive test and QC to find out if the product actually meets the published specifications.