DJI announcement on new geofencing system

SamaraMedia

Brendan Schulman posts video on DJI' soon to be announced geofencing system, 29 minutes long so haven't watched it all yet.

Old Man

Some good points but like the rest of Corporate America, it's more about assuring continued sales volume while shifting as much liability as possible. However, it's been evident for some time that many users need to be held accountable, and a very large percentage of those people use DJI products..

dazzab

So how well does this geofencing work if you fly in a non GPS based mode? Or the GPS signal is weak? Or you spoof the GPS?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So how well does this geofencing work if you fly in a non GPS based mode? Or the GPS signal is weak? Or you spoof the GPS?

Just because you are in Atti, the GPS is still on and tracking where you are, it will still not let you in the fenced area. (Obviously in the Phantom and Inspire, I guess with A2 or WKM, if you remove the GPS it's not on, but who knows maybe they will have new firmware where you can't fly without GPS?

Old Man

Although most of us do not like having flight restrictions imposed by a manufacturer I suspect we'll be seeing similar software generated restrictions coming from every maker of high end FC's if they want to stay in business. I'm curious how the user determinable maximum altitude settings for 3DR and Yuneec will be impacted. We might also soon see built in horizontal distance limitations with GPS equipped FC's.

I'm not a DJI fan but I believe they did what they had to do.