DJI 550 w/ Naza-M GPS - won't hold Altitude in hover.

Jadanza

I know this topic has been posted 100 times at least, I have spend the last 4 days reading everything I could find before posting this.

In GPS mode when moving Altitude is very steady, holds like a champ. When I go into hover (throttle lock at 50%) is +/- 10 feet, then will hover and then will start bounce again. Laterally it holds perfectly just slides up and down.

I have moved the Vertical Gain all over the place. From about it's lowest setting to it's highest. (Programmed to a dial on the 8FG). If I start at say 50 feet of elevation and go into over it will bounce between 45 and 55. If I crank the gain down it will drop to 30 feet and then bounce between 25 and 35. Crank the gains way up and it climbs up to 70 and bounces between 65 and 75.

Here is the setup:

Hexacopter:
Stock DJI 550
Naza-M w/ GPS - Updated to 3.10 - Wrapped in black duct tape (all sides, not just left)
MaxAmps 4S 9000mah (862g)
Futaba R6208SB Receiver using S-Bus to Naza

Transmitter:
Futaba 8FG Super

Thoughts?

E

Empire Support 2

Jadanza,

What are your gains? Also the MaxAmps 4S 9000mAh lipo is huge for this frame and motor combination. I am assuming that you are using 8" props. If not try them. More information and photos would help.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yeah, that lipo is pretty heavy. I use a 5000mah 4S which is considered the biggest you should use. I use 9" props with my 4S lipos which give plenty of power.

I you have some different lipo/prop combinations try them. You'll notice a huge difference when you get them right.

Using Tapatalk...

Jadanza

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of 4S 5000's on the way. Trying to find 8" props, but so far no luck. Might run and grab a small 3S and see what kind of difference that makes.

I will update with my findings.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Ps- what's your low voltage set to? It can be set pretty low if you like. It's just for emergencies imho. And did you calibrate your GPS as per manual/YouTube? Just checking....

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes you can. The common suggestion by most is to stick to 8" props if you're going to use 4s batteries.
FYI, 40C is overkill for the F550 with stock motors. No problem there, but you can save yourself a few bucks and go down to even 20Cs.

Jadanza

OK, a little recap and closure for anyone following along. Hate when thread originators never give a final verdict.

I finally found 8" props (Thanks to Rick at ClubHeli.com). Made a WORLD of difference. Even with the 862gram battery, steady as can be.

rcpilot23

My new F550 was fitted with 8 inch stock props and hovers excellent but the climb out is slowish

I have Graupner 10x5 E props coming running 3S 5800 lipo

I get 10 min flight with the 3S 5800 lipo and 30% left