DJI 2212 / 920kv motors - R & R / Maintenance

WillM

One of the 920kv motors on my F450 has become a bit more notchy than the others.

I face-planted my quad yesterday and ended up breaking a prop. I noticed that the motor with the broken prop was very notchy. Instead of spinning freely, it felt like it was clicking or rotating in individual steps.

I took the opportunity to pull these two motors apart. I was surprised how little there was to getting in there. All that is required is to remove the e-clip on the bottom end of the motor. After the e-clip comes out, a small washer should slide off. The motor then simply pulls apart, exposing the stator (the winds), the 2 ball bearings, and the magnets attached to the inside of the housing.

Once apart, I found a small pebble wedged between two of the windings on the stator. The magnets looked clean, but had a small film of dirt on them, which I found as I wiped them down.

On the 2nd motor, the stator looked clean, however I found some tiny metal shavings stuck to and between the magnets.

I cleaned up and reassembled both motors. They both spin better than new!

Here are my thoughts and quetions:
1. The motors should be taken apart and cleaned every so often. I will be doing the other 2 motors soon.
2. Is it advisable to use some type of motor cleaning chemical, and if so, what? All I did was pick out the pebble & shavings, then used was a cotton swab and a can of compressed air for clean-up.
3. Is there a way a DIY kind of guy can easily & reliably balance the motors?

Cheers,

Will

WillM

Here are some pics.

By the way, for those with brushless RPM sensors, these motors have 14 magnets.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 3020View attachment 3021View attachment 3022

Attachments

• DJI_Motor_1.jpg
    DJI_Motor_1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 450
  • DJI_Motor_2.jpg
    DJI_Motor_2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 390
  • DJI_Motor_3.jpg
    DJI_Motor_3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

the real pain is trying to remove the shaft if you need to reseat the bearings, i have yet to get mine removed, even with putting some debonder in the set screw holes :(