DIY or not DIY, that is the question :)

jireland

I have seen this question asked before but I think the answer depends on the person asking the question. I was hoping that if I told you my circumstances that you kind folk on the forum would be able to guide me.

The following is background so you know where I'm at:

I recently bought a Hubsan X4 quad, and I love it, It has taken so much abuse its ridiculous, I have fallen in love with multirotors. It is way stronger and easier than my old Blade helicopter I used to own. I have decided that I would like something bigger though, mostly to make it less susceptible to wind so I can fly outside more, but also many other reasons.

I have watched nearly every youtube video on multirotors and as such have made my firm decision that I might, possibly, go for a tricopter. They seem to be more manoeuvrable and more fun (for when my skills improve) I also like the idea of longer flight times. I might want to fit a small camera later, FPV is a long way out of my budget for now, so I do not really need to lift too much weight. (and they look awesome)

I have seen some of the videos and step by step builds for Tricopters, they are very comprehensive and appear to be pretty much fool proof ....... until that is...

The final setup... I watched one video where the guy was checking for 'oscillations' and I read that some people say that their builds were a bit 'sluggish' because the frame was too small. This has put me off a bit. As ( a noob, am I going to be able to tell if I am getting oscillation? I am a bit worried that I might finish my build but not be able to tell if it is good or bad, or has a major problem with it. Looking through the comments of the videos I have watched, a lot of people seem to have problems. I'm and experienced IT Tech so I'm not afraid to have a go at electronics. What I don't want to do is to start learning a new type of model when it is setup like a pig that a pro would throw in the bin.

So my question... As a noob, with only a months experience on a Hubsan, is it a bad idea to do a DIY build or should I opt for a bigger ready made kit? My budget is around £300 (I have no Transmitter/Reciever so is included)

I appreciate any feedback.

FlyGirl

No one answered so as one noob to another I say DIY.... My background is pretty extensive in RC. In the late 70s and early 80s I flew planks for several years then when my kids were older I raced cars with them. I then built scale boats and raced nitro boats in the early and mid 90s. Gave everything up until last year when I took up flying helicopters after I got injured racing sports cars and couldn't race. The helicopters are still with me but it is kind of morphing into quads and multirotors. I bought a Ladybird, a Syma X-1, and a WLToys V-959. Loved them all and still have fun with those 3 but I wanted something larger. I couldn't afford a Phantom so I decided to build a quad instead to save money so I bought a DJI Flame Wheel 450 kit and a NAZA-M Lite with GPS for my FCU and honestly it was a pretty easy build. So I say go for the DIY! Have fun building your tricopter and if you run into problems or have questions then just go on the forums and ask. I've had pretty good luck with the people and they've been very nice and patient with noobs. So anyways give it a shot. The problems you have along the way only make the maiden flight day that much better.... :) Good luck!

jireland

Thanks for your reply. I agree that the builds always look fairly straight forward on Youtube etc, I think I spent too much time looking at the comments. :shame: There's so many aspects that they don't mention on the guides like balancing props and motors etc.

I'll get my shopping list ordered :nevreness:

Freebird

I'm arriving a bit late at the party.....but I started from similar situation, maybe, (though soldering, for me, was the trickiest bit to master). I can only say "go for it", it was much more satisfying than just opening a box and adding batteries. The risk is that the tech becomes more absorbing than the performance/flying fun.....!

Good luck. And there's always loads of help about if you ask.

Glad I found this noob friendly thread! :highly_amused:

Im here via rc boats, fully operational tugs and static diving subs. So Im ok on the electronics to a point, the sub even more so as that required black magik for auto-leveling. Im assuming that the quads auto level is in the same vein?

Looks like DIY for this old git as well, Im picking through FC's now with Naza coming out tops but too rich for me at this point, so its looking like a KK I think.
The 450 sized grp frame is pretty common, but I liked the look of the HAL Heavylift etc, not for lifting as such just room for the components and heavier motors maybe.
With no lift requirement Im guessing longer run times and more on-board batteries.

Efliernz

Pete
I guess I'm lucky that I have been flying rc planes for 25y, helis for 7 and electrics for 10 years... and being a techie helps ;)
I have built 20 multi in the last 3 years for fun, AP and trainers for others and only one was a full kit (Droidworx). Rustys's frames are great and cheap that help, even just for the central hub.

I love DIY. My standard quad trainer has 60-70g motors, basic HK esc,s and the KK2 flashed to v1.5. Cheap, easy to configure. 550mm so it's easy to see and I use wood :). 18mm square pine from the hardware store for the arms and for the central hub, a piece of Hobby king 1.5mm carbon sheet cut into three 100x100 pieces. With the square wood, no motor mounts required and no alignment required. Paint the arms bright floro colours so no lights are needed.

I'll post a photo later... it may not look like a commercial kit but it's cheap, repairable and you learn as you build. That's what model building and flying is all about ;)

Pete