Did I kill my battery?

ctbon

So I'm having a beautiful flight. I have my timer set to 8 mins which is usually fine though I don't usually fly until the timer goes off. I guess I pushed it a bit far because as I was bringing her back she starts heading very quickly towards the ground...not in freefall but faster than I was comfortable with (and rotating as well which was weird)...I figured I had drained the battery which I guess I had as the low batt alarm was going off when I went to check for damage (thankfully, none!)

When I got home I plugged in the battery to charge and it was at 0% so I thought I must have really drained it. Now when I try to charge it I get a battery output error at about 65%. I have tried 3 times with the same result.

I am admittedly very ignorant when it comes to the science of LiPo batteries but I want to learn.

Is the battery done now? Can I rely on it for short (4-5 mins.) flights or should I just stop using it altogether?

AIRCONROB

Hi mate, so when you say Can I rely on it for short (4-5 mins.) is that the times you've been getting before this happened? Also what setup are you running and battery size?

ctbon

I've been getting around 7-8 mins. no problem. Maybe I was flying a bit more aggressively. It didn't seem like it. Battery was charged to 96% when I took her out. It failed at around 7:45 mins.

Battery is a 6600mah 14.8v 28C 4 cell. It's a VoltOn formerly known as PolyQuest produced by Batterist formerly known as Prince :)

I'm running it on an MK controlled Okto 2 with 2827-35's pulling up a GH2 which with lens is about 650g.

Last edited by a moderator:

AIRCONROB

I'm no expert, but I experienced where my Schulze charger would not accept one of my batterys a couple of times when i was running F5D because I drained the cells below the recomended voltage and on 3 cell battery I manage to drain it down to 8.3 volt which is not good for lipos, I thought I goosed it untill my mate told me to do this,
Put your lipo charger into Ni-Cd mode, without the ballance lead plug the power cables to your charger and watch the voltage go up just over 10 volts which should only take about 10-15 secounds, unplug and reset charger to lipo charge. Plug ballance lead on and battery main leads and it should start charging.

AIRCONROB

Just keep your eye on the battery when you do that, dont leave it on Ni-Cd for too long, like I said just get it over the initial 10 volts and happy days.
Just a thought aswell, none of the cells have swelled up have they? If they have then dont.

ctbon

well...not really...I am still able to charge up to 65% then I get the error...a quick living room hovering test is showing that:

a). The pack will last about 6 mins bringing the battery to 17% so I may still be able to use the pack flying normally for under 6 mins.

b). flying the okto in the living room makes my wife a bit nervous