Destined never to have fail safe

bensid54

I have a Naza light and Futaba 12FG radio. I set the failsafe to 10% throttle and the setting on failsafe slider between GPS and ATT using one three position switch all turn on to failsafe at the switch. Shut off the radio and watch the sliders for 30 seconds NOTHING CHANGES no failsafe the controller thinks the radio is still turned on and at that point it should crash into the ground. You can set percentages to go into failsafe but I like to have the switched slider in the centre of GPS, ATT and manual. Are you supposed to adjust the sliders to go into the failsafe zone with the switch and forget about going into the centre of the GPS and ATT if you want failsafe to work?

FlyGirl

I have a Naza light and Futaba 12FG radio. I set the failsafe to 10% throttle and the setting on failsafe slider between GPS and ATT using one three position switch all turn on to failsafe at the switch. Shut off the radio and watch the sliders for 30 seconds NOTHING CHANGES no failsafe the controller thinks the radio is still turned on and at that point it should crash into the ground. You can set percentages to go into failsafe but I like to have the switched slider in the centre of GPS, ATT and manual. Are you supposed to adjust the sliders to go into the failsafe zone with the switch and forget about going into the centre of the GPS and ATT if you want failsafe to work?

What receiver are you using?

bensid54

HK orange eight channel receiver that works with Futaba fasst. My 12FG radio has been converted to Futaba fasst using the Futaba module. I thought about using my seven channel Futaba receiver but I needed channel eight for this to work using switches on both the sliders that control GPS/ATT/MAN and the GPS lock and course lock. I thought about getting a Futaba S-Bus but I have never used one or have a clue how to do so. Anyone else have this set up.

Stacky

I dont have a NAZA or gps so cant help with that but when i test my radio etc for the failsafe i take the props off and listen/watch the motors when I turn off the radio. Thats gives me a decent indication if things are doing what I want. I vary the throttle setting to check it is changing with my changes.

FlyGirl

HK orange eight channel receiver that works with Futaba fasst. My 12FG radio has been converted to Futaba fasst using the Futaba module. I thought about using my seven channel Futaba receiver but I needed channel eight for this to work using switches on both the sliders that control GPS/ATT/MAN and the GPS lock and course lock. I thought about getting a Futaba S-Bus but I have never used one or have a clue how to do so. Anyone else have this set up.

I don't have the Futaba system, I have a Spektrum instead, but with Spektrums the ability to have failsafe go active in case of a signal loss is dependent on what receiver is being used. Some receivers can store all channel positions and some can only store a throttle position. I don't know whether the HK Orange is able to store values for all channels. I think you will probably have to ask HK? This is assuming of course that Futabas and Spektrums work the same way.... Good luck! Hope you get it sorted out!

bensid54

I think you are right, after reading the Futaba manual it says you can't use failsafe on certain receivers which may be the case with me. Thanks for helping out!

soler

Even if your receiver does not support failsafe you should still be able to set this up with a switch to move the Manual - Atti - GPS slider to the failsafe zones. I have used a Futaba 8FG Super with both the Futaba Receivers and the FRsky Receivers without a problem.

Looking on the OrangeRX website they are very vague when it comes to instructions, for fail safe all it says is "Failsafe: All channels to bind position at signal Loss" I take this to man that you need to set your transmitter to the positions for all channels and then bind to the receiver. I do not have this receiver so this is only my understanding of there text

FlyGirl

Even if your receiver does not support failsafe you should still be able to set this up with a switch to move the Manual - Atti - GPS slider to the failsafe zones. I have used a Futaba 8FG Super with both the Futaba Receivers and the FRsky Receivers without a problem.

Looking on the OrangeRX website they are very vague when it comes to instructions, for fail safe all it says is "Failsafe: All channels to bind position at signal Loss" I take this to man that you need to set your transmitter to the positions for all channels and then bind to the receiver. I do not have this receiver so this is only my understanding of there text

That says to me that it should work then.... Ben, with my Spektrum what I do is set everything up on the transmitter the way I want it to be (NAZA Failsafe engaged via a switch, throttle 50%, etc) then bind the Rx and Tx. That should lock it in.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I personally would never fly my MR unless I am certain that the RC signal loss failsafe feature is working 100%.
If the matching Futaba receiver is too expensive you might want to try the FrSky FAAST s.bus receivers which have must better pricing.
I use the TFR8SB http://frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=60 which functions identical to my original 8 channel Futaba receiver R6208SB......

I followed Jon DesJardin's Youtube videos to configure both and am very pleased with the results for both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDehc5PEUQ

bensid54

Thanks I'll check out the videos. It looks like the problem is in the binding which I have not done when setting up failsafe.

I fly a hex with a naza and spektrum ar8000, you have to be able to programme the failsafe on the receiver to tell the naza that return to home has been activated so what I have done is programme return to home mode to switch on my flap up switch on my dx8 and then when I set the failsafe parameters on the receiver for a transmitter off or out of range, I make sure my flap switch is set to the up position and bingo, when I switch the transmitter off the receiver goes into failsafe mode which is programmed as flaps up so that then sends a signal to the naza to say the flap switch is in the up position which the naza interprets as switch to return to home mode and then off it goes back home.
The problemyou will have is that orange receivers don't have a failsafe but you should be able to set a failsafe switch from one of spare channels

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I just received my Futaba 14 channel receiver so I will be messing with failsafe this weekend thanks for all the tips I'm sure I'll find my way around this problem. I'm happy to be upgrading from Hobby King slowly but surely I also ordered some batteries from Rotorquest to compare with my Turnigy batteries to how long they last.

bensid54

Got it working my problem was in my radio settings so now I have failsafe. When it goes into failsafe does the controller take over control of the ESC no matter where your failsafe ESC settings are?