Defy Gimbal

maxwelltub

This to me seems like one of the more promising brushless gimbal out there. They only have footage from their 2lb payload version but it looks great to me, and they are releasing a 5 lb version soon. What do you think?

https://vimeo.com/70140431

since those new bl gimbals also target the filmbiz the prizes are going a bit too steep for my taste
bl gimbals are cheaper to produce then servo gimbals...but it needs smart r&d to make it work in a daily use...and most of them dont look very good if you look at the details
the zenmuse was and is actually pretty cheap if you compare it...and they were the first with this technology
no cables hanging around, hdmi converter and remote trigger and proved to work on a multirotor...all really important things

the besteady one looks more promising in my opinon...they promise the final product has the wires inside the construction and have 12v at the cameraplate...I wonder how they solve it
it needs special made motors for the purpose I would think...and then it maybe deserves those high prices

maxwelltub

Ya besteady looks good too, but the test footage with the 5d looks shaky. I haven't seen test footage from the defy with 5d so it's too soon to say of the defy will be better. I think the g5 version is 3200 which is less then the zenmuse. I also think the wiring is pretty neatly done on this one. If it works the way I think it will that's 100% worth it.

the real problem is its impossible to judge how the final product will be and how easy it is to use from those renders and those teaserclips
they write its not stabilized...but then they use a lens with oss, and I see some dust jumping in shot from the beach :)
not talking about shots from MR...which changes things a lot
for me its way to much risk to trust a startup company...if its a big player you at least know they will ruin their image by launching products too early

but I really hope the defy and all other gimbals work good and are avaailable very soon

really not very good I have to say...I admit I only look in the corners of videos when I judge the videos from bl gimbals
but considering you will have a much harder time flying it on a MR, this is not good enough yet in my opinion
really annoying they dont show any details or real pitures of their hardware I have to say

maxwelltub

Did you think the Besteady results were better? This is also only the launch video, they might have more pictures soon.

its hard to say from a video that was specially selected to show good results ...you never know what they really did to make that footage...and if its a hardware problem or the pid tuning

but before they dont show footage like this you know its not there yet

but...video quality is one thing...as important is how good the thing works when you really use it, balancing, software, cables ,quality of build
in my opinion all this will actually defines which gimbal will be the best

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwelltub

Got to play with a defy g2 today. I would pass on this one for the time being. Was not impressed at this point. Didn't get a lot of hands on experience, but was not the quality I expected.

cbpagent72

Got to play with a defy g2 today. I would pass on this one for the time being. Was not impressed at this point. Didn't get a lot of hands on experience, but was not the quality I expected.

Thanks for the feedback, everything always looks good on paper and in manufacture demonstration videos. Your feedback helped me decide to pre-order a Zenmuse GH3 gimbal. I really despise DJI but they still make the best multirotor specific gimbal out there as far as I know.

drhuey

drhuey
Very helpful feedback. I am reading similar feedback across the web. I was thinking about a purchase - looks like a Movi 5 for me...