Death of a Lady bird

HPL

Well, this little ladybird is (was) my first experience with RC and it has been a blast. It has (had) so little mass that you wouldn't think that one could do this much damage. I've been flying it indoors mostly but have flown it outdoors a few times when the wind permitted. Had several crackups previously, but all were reparable with super glue, baking soda, and toothpicks until today. This is what happens when one panics and dives smack into a gravel driveway. After my first incident that was hard enough to damage the frame I realized that perhaps I should obtain some spare parts just in case. Fortuitously, the two frames that I ordered a few days ago arrived today, so even though I came home today like this I am already back together and ready to fly tomorrow. ;-)

View attachment 9581View attachment 9580

Attachments

• 2013-02-12_013.jpg
    2013-02-12_013.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 2013-02-12_011.jpg
    2013-02-12_011.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 222

nicwilke

Very sorry for your loss. Man, they say 'these things come in 3's'..... 1st Kopterworx fire, then this... I'm not flying till something else bad happens. Chin up, you will recover.

HPL

Very sorry for your loss. Man, they say 'these things come in 3's'..... 1st Kopterworx fire, then this... I'm not flying till something else bad happens. Chin up, you will recover.

Thanks man, 'preciate the condolences. Very important to have friends at a time like this. She was a good little bird, quick and sporty. We had some fun times together, then I got cocky and decided that I could go from always having it facing forward to actually turning it 180 degrees to bring it back and all of a sudden "left" didn't mean "left" anymore!!! Should really know one's limitations. ;-( Can hardly wait to move up to something that costs $1000.00 + with $2000.00 worth of camera hanging below!!! Oh Boy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

oldflyer2

Can hardly wait to move up to something that costs $1000.00 + with $2000.00 worth of camera hanging below!!! Oh Boy!!

Hmmmmm .... Can you say "Pucker Power"?

Sorry for your loss as well. It's funny how these wee things become like family.

Cheers

HPL

Hmmmmm .... Can you say "Pucker Power"?

Sorry for your loss as well. It's funny how these wee things become like family.

Cheers

The total strip down and rebuild took about 20-30 mins and I was really looking forward to taking it out today, but a norther blew in last night and the wind is whipping, so back to indoors I guess. I really like flying outside where I can get some altitude, giving myself a bit more time to react to mistakes (the down side being more room to build up momentum before impact). :nevreness:

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
Mine was decimated today! First time out was last week in which I cracked the frame and broke a motor arm. New motor arm came in today, but I didn't order a frame not knowing it was so fragile. So I replace the motor and arm today with the new parts and take it out. On the second battery I noticed the front two arms were spread. upon inspection, solid separation of the frame. Kept flying and flying and after a few fly aways and crashes, it couldn't take it anymore. I literally saw a corner of the frame fly off on the last crash. After I took it apart from the FC board it was in 8 pieces (frame).

Has anyone milled a solid frame for one of these? I know they are only $4 to replace, but the down time is kinda a bummer. I am glad I read up here to get some stick time with this before getting my Hexa!!!

HPL

Mine was decimated today! First time out was last week in which I cracked the frame and broke a motor arm. New motor arm came in today, but I didn't order a frame not knowing it was so fragile. So I replace the motor and arm today with the new parts and take it out. On the second battery I noticed the front two arms were spread. upon inspection, solid separation of the frame. Kept flying and flying and after a few fly aways and crashes, it couldn't take it anymore. I literally saw a corner of the frame fly off on the last crash. After I took it apart from the FC board it was in 8 pieces (frame).

Has anyone milled a solid frame for one of these? I know they are only $4 to replace, but the down time is kinda a bummer. I am glad I read up here to get some stick time with this before getting my Hexa!!!

Cool how they will keep flying even with a broken frame, but I became concerned that it might end up breaking the circuit board so I cut some small braces from an old credit card and supper-glued them in place. In order to get the super glue to form a better bond I dusted all the surfaces with baking soda first. I also ordered two frames last time and will order at least that many next time.

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
Here are some close up shots. The edges where the screws are look like they may have chipped up a bit. I've removed all the frame parts and tossed them, so you are just seeing the FC and arms. Nevermind the red/orange fingernail polish. :) That's to help me with orientation.

View attachment 10453View attachment 10454View attachment 10455

Attachments

• WP_20130320_001.jpg
    WP_20130320_001.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 240
  • WP_20130320_002.jpg
    WP_20130320_002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 299
  • WP_20130320_003.jpg
    WP_20130320_003.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 314

tealfixie

Mine just broke too and ill be ordering a replacement frame. I bought this as an entry into the rc quad world and so far it has been a blast. I am working slowly towards being able to fly around with the nose forward confidently. Question to more experienced flyers, is the ladybird a sufficient stepping stone before getting into larger quads like the flamewheel/tbs disco? I mean I want to eventually build an fpv quad but not until I master some basics. Are flying bigger quads any different than the ladybird?

HPL

Mine just broke too and ill be ordering a replacement frame. I bought this as an entry into the rc quad world and so far it has been a blast. I am working slowly towards being able to fly around with the nose forward confidently. Question to more experienced flyers, is the ladybird a sufficient stepping stone before getting into larger quads like the flamewheel/tbs disco? I mean I want to eventually build an fpv quad but not until I master some basics. Are flying bigger quads any different than the ladybird?

I would buy two or three frames and a couple of extra batteries. Once you pay shipping, the cost of the additional parts is minor. I shattered my frame again yesterday, this time beyond repair, but luckily I already had a spare frame on hand. Will be ordering two or three more today.

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
My two frames arrived and I swear they feel stronger than the original. I have a version 1 ladybird.