Dear DJI, you've got a problem

Can a chinese company be brought to justice in a foreign country for product liability? The dealer will likely be ruined, DJI might remain completely uninvolved.

Well...that's just it, isn't it?

DJI knows they are more or less immune from any real damages arising from outside of China over all of their negligent and sub-standard products. So they just keep churning the crap out without any real concern as to the lost investment of their users (and/or the health of their users misfortunate bystanders). Then, they further insulate themselves from it all by fending off all communication. Instead, they throw their dealers to wolves by making THEM deal with it all. Many have little more than just average technical knowledge on it all to begin with. And most won't spend any of their time on it anyway unless they suspect that further sales might come out of it all.

And as for 'DJI dealers to stop buying DJI props and open those boxes and pull the props from the kits. When DJI sees that no one buys their props they'll be forced to fix the issue.'....I am sure that, even now, few dealers are bothering to buy extra DJI props. The dealers already know DJI props have a bad rep...they're not going to buy what they're not going to sell. DJI couldn't care less if the dealers pull props out of the kits (which the dealers should, just to protect themselves) because DJI already has the dealers money from when they bought all those kits. After that, I am sure that DJI wouldn't give fig what happens.

No, unless they change their ways in the near future, DJI will end up being only a flash in the pan. I suspect that we will soon see DJI losing it's place in the market and possibly disappearing altogether. People are becoming more and more upset with losing money over faulty products and the compleat lack of company support. Soon, they will just give up altogether and spend money elsewhere.

I would love to see some form of a meaningful message sent on behalf of all the users who've lost money and equipment because of DJI's apathy...I just don't think this is it.

Just my opinion,

....sT

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
What irritates me is that they jump on here to advertise but never help their customers. Look at Hoverfly, they are always on here at least trying to answer questions. BAN CHINA all together!

What irritates me is that they jump on here to advertise but never help their customers. Look at Hoverfly, they are always on here at least trying to answer questions.....

+1

DJI has already lost all of my business. One HFP+GPS board set on the bench and another on order as we speak. HF falls all over themselves trying to help out whenever I talk to them.

....sT

Oztravels

Well said. For what its worth I am collating a list of "issue" postings, videos and the survey etc and sending to their management.

Well...that's just it, isn't it?

DJI knows they are more or less immune from any real damages arising from outside of China over all of their negligent and sub-standard products. So they just keep churning the crap out without any real concern as to the lost investment of their users (and/or the health of their users misfortunate bystanders). Then, they further insulate themselves from it all by fending off all communication. Instead, they throw their dealers to wolves by making THEM deal with it all. Many have little more than just average technical knowledge on it all to begin with. And most won't spend any of their time on it anyway unless they suspect that further sales might come out of it all.

And as for 'DJI dealers to stop buying DJI props and open those boxes and pull the props from the kits. When DJI sees that no one buys their props they'll be forced to fix the issue.'....I am sure that, even now, few dealers are bothering to buy extra DJI props. The dealers already know DJI props have a bad rep...they're not going to buy what they're not going to sell. DJI couldn't care less if the dealers pull props out of the kits (which the dealers should, just to protect themselves) because DJI already has the dealers money from when they bought all those kits. After that, I am sure that DJI wouldn't give fig what happens.

No, unless they change their ways in the near future, DJI will end up being only a flash in the pan. I suspect that we will soon see DJI losing it's place in the market and possibly disappearing altogether. People are becoming more and more upset with losing money over faulty products and the compleat lack of company support. Soon, they will just give up altogether and spend money elsewhere.

I would love to see some form of a meaningful message sent on behalf of all the users who've lost money and equipment because of DJI's apathy...I just don't think this is it.

Just my opinion,

....sT

RobertsUp

For what it's worth, I learned from my early on reading that I ought not trust the Dji props. Motors too. I ordered the frame parts separately, knowing I would choose my own motors, ESC's and props. I didn't even want the $48 frame because I wanted black and white arms. Not red and white arms. The parts are coming in now. Fast. I obtained all the screws I need for assembling the frame from yet a different source.

My first serious MR will be the basic F450 quad upgraded with the heavy lifting kit from AMP. Then I'll have two motors and two props as spares. (two spare graupner props) I may choose their Maytech 40 amp ESC's. (Programmable) The parts are coming in. I think I can start soldering in two weeks.

There don't seem to be issues with the basic F450/F550 chassis.

Best, Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Most interesting part is: 26 posts so far, and no sign of DJI or one of their representatives to make a comment...

Apart from that....my deepest respect for Bart who is not shy to adress this issue, even if it is against one of the forums sponsors. Another good sign that this forum is about the people here and not about $$....THANK YOU

Chris

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Didn't DJI address this issue with their new props which I hear are excellent and next to unbreakable? I use only Hobbyking APC props and I balance them as soon as I get them. I've never had a single prop break that wasn't my fault and it's super, super hard to break them...I've done plenty of "Bush wacking" and kept flying. I even flew into my palm tree and was able to cut a branch lose without breaking a prop. I watched the new DJI prop videos on YouTube, check them out, they stand on the props and they still don't break and even my Hobbyking Knock-off APC props won't do that. Seems to me we're complaining about something that's already been fixed.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Been fixed would mean: All DJI quads and hexas come with the new props, and all previous customers get their junk props replaced with the new ones....free of charge

Chris

To me being fixed would be all future products come with the new props. The fact that DJI addressed the issue by offering stronger props and comparing them on video to their older ones is proof enough they care at least. Just because an admin starts a thread doesn't make him right. The old DJI props were junk, the new ones are not and are cheap compared to the alternatives. The APC props I've been using have been excellent and I use those because I personally tested and identified early on that the DJI props were garbage. People should be testing out their own gear in this hobby, this is a serious hobby where people can get hurt. Don't rely on others to do your testing for you, test everything you have before putting a 50+mph 4lb object into flight where someone can easily get hurt.

Been fixed would mean: All DJI quads and hexas come with the new props, and all previous customers get their junk props replaced with the new ones....free of charge

I agree. But, that said......I admit that I am an American who expects companies be held responsible, either by themselves or by government interdiction, for their bad and potentially dangerous decisions instead of skulking about in the shadows whilst they apathetically pump out more faulty product to the ultimate detriment of their users.

Voluntary recalls happen all the time. Even outside the US. In the case of DJI and their crappy props, the problem is so widespread and so endemic that DJI shouldn't even bother recalling. They ought to ship replacements to all of their dealers who should be instructed to forward them on to everyone who has ever purchased a kit...or props...from them. DJI has heretofore thrown their dealers to the wolves on this and all other matters....I should think those dealers would be happy to participate in such an action as it might serve to help them avoid any future litigation which would arise when someones' F550 falls out of the sky and kills Grandma.

The production costs of these props is negligible really...what little expense they would incur would be a huge investment in their image in the marketplace. A great number of their users who are presently on the fence about to leave DJI might even be swayed back on to DJIs' side.

....sT

eyeball

I believe the new kits now have the new 10" props but I personally prefer the 8", Ive never had a problem with my 8s and I'm still on my original ones..my 450 is flown every day weather permitted and was one of the original 20 kits that were offered at a special price by DJI before they were sent mainstream.

02deuce

Time Warped
In defense of DJI here is my take on the older style prop situation. yes they were a lesser grade of prop compared to a set of Graupners but then look at the price differance between the two. I personally never had a old style prop break on me in flight that was new, by new in mean NO crashes to include coming in contact with anything while in flight (yes that blade strike in tall grass counts as a opps).
I personally believe that most of the incidents of breakage is caused by stress cracks from prior crashes, over tightening, trying to lift to much weight (payload). The prop is the one item that takes all the stress while in flight and if it is damaged or over stress its going to break. There is a reason that any pilot flying prop airplane inspects the props by running his hand over the edges as part of his pre-flight inspection. If you have had prior crashes and or your trying to fly around with 5 lbs of crap attached to your 450 or 550 chassis and you used and impact wrench to torque down your props that's a tough obstacle for DJI to overcome. My two cents.

Oztravels

Defend them all you like. My case? Brand new F550 8" props, no loctite nor over tightened, no crashes, not overloaded (up until the prop broke mid flight) prop broke mid flight, changed all props, same thing happend!
I am seriously happy you have had no issues. That's not to say others haven't.

l
In defense of DJI here is my take on the older style prop situation. yes they were a lesser grade of prop compared to a set of Graupners but then look at the price differance between the two. I personally never had a old style prop break on me in flight that was new, by new in mean NO crashes to include coming in contact with anything while in flight (yes that blade strike in tall grass counts as a opps).
I personally believe that most of the incidents of breakage is caused by stress cracks from prior crashes, over tightening, trying to lift to much weight (payload). The prop is the one item that takes all the stress while in flight and if it is damaged or over stress its going to break. There is a reason that any pilot flying prop airplane inspects the props by running his hand over the edges as part of his pre-flight inspection. If you have had prior crashes and or your trying to fly around with 5 lbs of crap attached to your 450 or 550 chassis and you used and impact wrench to torque down your props that's a tough obstacle for DJI to overcome. My two cents.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Defend them all you like. My case? Brand new F550 8" props, no loctite nor over tightened, no crashes, not overloaded (up until the prop broke mid flight) prop broke mid flight, changed all props, same thing happend!

l

What testing did you do on the props before you put your spinning blade of death into the air? DJI is as responsible for their props breaking as we are for checking them before we put a 4lb+ 50mph object into the air. Their new props work, are flexible and you can stand on them. There's no reason to defend a company that has already fixed and addressed the issue. If you want them to come on this website to take sides then ask them. This whole thing is getting ridiculous. Don't buy their props if you don't like them, buy them if you do...welcome to Capitalism Test your own products, test there's...it's that simple.

olof

Osprey
I have to agree with helloman1976 a preflight is a must. Just like in a full scale plane. Any nick or embedded sand grain (small dents or scratches can be emory papered out) in a airplane prop has to be fixed before flight, and it can be expensive. Any prop that actually touched anything while moving has to be removed and sent back for inspection/reconditioning this costs thousands but your and others lives are at stake.

I preflight my MRs before every flight. This includes making sure everything is firmly attached, screws are all tight, connections good, props turn freely and are perfectly smooth even a small bump while moving the MR around or in your vehicle can damage a prop.

It is not reasonable to think a $5.00 prop has been hand inspected and balanced, so I think for cheap props it is up to you. All my Graupner props that are expensive in comparison are also much better balanced out of the package. I can only think this is because of better QC and that costs money. You get what you pay for.

I have a couple props that were so badly out of balance when I got them I just junked them those were GemFans.

In general aviation the pilot is responsible for making sure the aircraft is safe before takeoff. I think this is true for scale models and MR's as well.

When you buy cheap props it is up to you to inspect and balance them.

In general aviation the most dangerous flight is after the annual inspection. And of course the AI and A&P are responsible for making sure they put the plane back together right, but I always make an extra rigorous preflight after the annual or any other maintenance. Because it is my a**.

I think we have to accept responsibility for all inspection of parts before we fly, just because they are fresh from a plastic bag does not mean they are in perfect shape, not at these prices.

Sorry for the rant...

02deuce

Time Warped
l
Wow that's a bad deal, what are the odds twice in a row????
I myself personally if the same situation were to happen to me (which it hasn't) I would have never put another set on. My preference is Graupners. As stated above you get what you pay for.

Dewster

Lol. :) Well said. My craft weighs just under 7 pounds and I use Graupners. I did have a Gemfan carbon fiber prop snap at the hub on a lighter craft. My APC props took a beating and kept on spinning. Losing one multi was expensive. I still haven't purchased all of my FPV gear that was destroyed from my Gemfan prop crash. But reading all of the gripes over DJI's props is enough to keep me away.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Graupners, but APC have done fine for me also, just some crazy balancing sometimes with them.

Couldn't agree more and if you go with APC get the Du-Bro prop balancer. You'll need to get the APC hobbyking knock-offs if you want to go with 10" blades as APC doesn't make the counter rotating version. I actually called them and told them I was going to buy the knock off version and wanted to buy them from APC instead, they said they don't make them so go buy the other ones. I was pretty shocked but that's just what I did and have ever since. I have almost bought Graupners now about a dozen times but always been stopped by the prices which is way up there.

http://hobby.dubro.com/videos/tech-tip-videos/du-bro-tru-spin-prop-balancer-1_17

globalwad

I just picked up a F550 Hexa about 2 weeks ago. I have had 4 of the 6 included DJI props explode. 3 on the ground at spin up, and one in flight at 30 feet....I was able to crash-land with no damage thankfully. I threw the rest of the DJI props in the trash and replaced them all. No issues since then with the new props.
This is unacceptable. Please fix the "propblem" and update your customers when it's been resolved, or risk being known forever only for this issue.
Thanks-
Mark