Datalink 900MHz vs 2.4GHz

Can some of you give me some ideas on which version is better? I understand one (I think the 900 MHz one) has further range. While the other is better around obstacles.

Tahoe Ed

I have the 900 and I got it because I wanted the range buffer if I ever needed it. I fly 2.4 for RC and 5.8 for vTx.

I have the 900 and I got it because I wanted the range buffer if I ever needed it. I fly 2.4 for RC and 5.8 for vTx.

Although I have not used my data link at this point I bought it with the same setup in mind. I'm also using 2.4 for RC and 5.8 for Vtx

CrashMaster

Nigel, You are correct 900mhz is used by Vodaphone so it would be illegal to even switch one on within the British Isles. However, the 2.4mhz is legal but not at the power output of 130mW is 30mW above the maximum power output permitted, so is also illegal but no one appears to be making a noise about it... The UK regulator is OFCOM but they are probably in discussion with DJI to reduce the output power or at least build in restriction so if you connect in the UK it is dropped to 100mW.

However, as it is illegal to fly beyond the line of sight, higher than 400ft or more than 500m horizontally away from the pilot then reducing the power would not affect those in the UK who fly legally.

As for wanting to fly further and further afield is very dangerous and will eventually end in tears when someone gets hurt or worse.

Thanks for the info... sadly I haven't seen any comments as to pros and cons or actual factual information as to the difference in the two wavelengths. The issue is that I happen to have both (one I bought, one was a gift), and I haven't activated the waypoint functionality on either (haven't hooked either of them up). I only have one 5 waypoint activation, so I need to decide which one to tie the license to, so I was hoping for some pros/cons and facts about which might serve me better. It sounds like either will do me since I always fly line-of-sight and well within my comfort zone.

CrashMaster

If you have no need of distance you should use the 2.4ghz because it is only 20g as opposed to the 90g for the 900mhz. I have just installed the 2.4mhz system so have to learn how it all works. DJI GS is not intuitive at all.