Damped Light

On two different builds, emax rs2205 and Multistar 2204, I am getting a squeak/high pitch noise from the motors during flight. Seems to occur with motor speed changes, I can force the noise by throttling up/down causing the quad to hop. Both builds use dys XM20s. Overall flight seems good, may get random twitch during hover when the squeak occurs otherwise very stable with no noticeable oscillation. Both are set in acro mode with naze32 rev6, cleanflight and baseflight.

I have not noticed the motors getting warm. Just trying to figure out if the noise is normal from damped light or if it is a tuning problem with it enabled or esc related.

violetwolf

Sounds like it MAY be a sync issue with the ESC'S .. Are the ESC'S and firmware matched to the motors or at least recommended by the motor manufacture?

All of the above considered it may not be an issue if the bird flies well and the motors don't overheat.

violetwolf

Listen to Old Man ;)

Pat my comment "may not be an issue" was in the context of park flying a mini.. but yes probably a bad remark.

Old Man

Ahhh, aircraft context does matter, but I certainly wouldn't call it a bad remark. The type of aircraft absolutely would impact how much effort you wanted to put into getting things perfect. A 250 racer that flies really good but will be crashed often anyway justifies a little less attention to detail that a $7,000 camera rig that is flown much less aggressively as long as both maintain safe flight control relative to their use.

Still working on it but have figured it out from reading Betaflight info and other threads with Borris. It is a noise problem on the 6500 gyro and active braking affecting the yaw axis

On the one build I switched to a SP Racing F3, 6050 gyro. Noise and twitch completely gone using same pids and settings. 6050 is suppose to handle vibration better.

On the other build, I added 12 o-rings to the FC stack to try to chance the frequency of the vibration. Testing today.

violetwolf

Ahhh, aircraft context does matter, but I certainly wouldn't call it a bad remark. The type of aircraft absolutely would impact how much effort you wanted to put into getting things perfect. A 250 racer that flies really good but will be crashed often anyway justifies a little less attention to detail that a $7,000 camera rig that is flown much less aggressively as long as both maintain safe flight control relative to their use.

I think I should be more careful though as others with expensive rigs may read the comment too and dismiss issues.

violetwolf

Still working on it but have figured it out from reading Betaflight info and other threads with Borris. It is a noise problem on the 6500 gyro and active braking affecting the yaw axis

On the one build I switched to a SP Racing F3, 6050 gyro. Noise and twitch completely gone using same pids and settings. 6050 is suppose to handle vibration better.

On the other build, I added 12 o-rings to the FC stack to try to chance the frequency of the vibration. Testing today.

Good to know moonpie. It's always good to follow up the threads when fix a problem as it will help others in the future. Thank you.

I think I should be more careful though as others with expensive rigs may read the comment too and dismiss issues.

I just started practicing flips and rolls. Practicing on a very plush yard that now has some version of Ufo crop signs in areas but I have hit hard enough that they hear the impact inside with doors/windows shut. I have had the wife ask me what I broke when I come inside for batteries..... That said, I still balance every set of props before installing and I'm not sure why.

So I don't disagree, the time I spent chasing this would be considered wasted by many. It flies no better, only sounds smoother.