Damm almost happened again

38super

Hi All
I took my F550 out for a quick flight and ran into what last time cost me about $800. System is F550, DJI naza -M V2 with a Spectrum 9 TX. Receiver is a spectrum AR 9000 with telemetry, DJI Z gimbal, go pro and a E300 kit. Maxamp 9000mah batt. I've been running this set up for about 5 months with no problems, all internal parts are the same as the one I crashed except for the E300 system. I took off up to about 300 feet and suddenly I got a felling I was not in total control....not total loss but did not feel right. Now I live is a very wooded spot so when I started to get the feeling something was wrong it was not in sight ....still not sure I had lost anything til I looked down and there was no telemetry on the radio NOTHING.... It was maybe two hundred yards out 300 feet up and could not see it. I went right to the RTH switch and a few mins later I saw it coming back and the telemetry was back on . Voltage was about 14.9 , Took back control and brought it home. This is second time this happened to me except last time I waited too long and crashed into the woods . Took a few days to find it . Believe me I make sure all lights are green and I have home lock which it did prove cause it came right back . I wish I could have seen if it was losing
altitude while this was going on . The only thought that came to mind is a little far fetched... Been a lot of solar activity the last week but if that were the case it would not have RTH
Man! I just don't trust this thing any more. Going to take it apart tomorrow but expect to find nothing. One little note I was looking at video and it seemed strange ...rocking left to right like sitting in a boat H3-3D gimbal it must have been really oscillating before RTH came on . also in a flight right after this happened just a few feet up and in a perfect hover it gave a sudden twitch nose up ...very quick.... Going to ck all connections make sure there nice and silvery ....I had just checked all motors without props....all sounded great
Any Ideas.........Thanks.... William

Fat Corgi

Check the way your cable's are run, especially the servo leads. The wires to the RX should not run alongside DC, and do some range tests in an open area before you take to the skies again. I had an issue with a 550 when I started which was from a short coming from the power distribution built in to the lower plate of the 550.

Ronan

Little tip... when ever going about flying... give it 30 second or so after you take off to make sure everything is fine. On Naza M V2, a few times, i'v had it lose GPS signal and act weird after the first take off. It seems it needs to 'stabilize' itself and 'get its bearing' after a cold start.

Taking off and going straight to 300 feet is a good way to lose your aircraft... very hard to spot any problems when it's up at 300 feet.

jdennings

Scary indeed ... You mention looking at video, you have video downlink but no osd right? And had video signal all along but lost telemetry on the spectrum temporarily? Could it be just a plain and simple temporary radio link loss, with RTH triggered by you when the link came back, or auto triggered by the FC? Still would not explain the H3-3D rocking ... How is you failsafe set up in TX and Naza?

RobBurn

Quite a few questions to ask. Did you verify at takeoff you had telemetry on the radio? Also so you said after your last crash you have 5 months of good flying till this time.. So no changes made in those 5 months?

I agree with Ronan in that i go up about 20 feet and make sure it is stable and i check my radio to see the voltage telemetry is right as well as the osd is reporting correctly and the mr seems solid before i get flying