CS8 & WKM Setup Advice

Ok so after close to a year of lurking on here I'm getting close to what I think is the right combo of parts to build a great AV machine.
I would appreciate as much input from everyone as possible if you think there is a better part or combo out there.
The goal is to fly a OMD-5 or 5D MKII.

Heres the build list:

Frame:Cinestar 8
Flight Controller:DJI WKM
Gimble:Photohigher Hero 2000
Remote:dx10t
Motors:AXI 2814-22
ESC:CC Phoenix Ice 50
battery:zippy 8400 4s x6
battery:maxamp 1100 4s x2
Prop:Graupner 11x5
Prop:APC 12x6
Prop:XOAR 13x6.5
Prop:XOAR 14x5
Prop:Graupner 14x8

Charger: Hyperion 720i duo3 x2

I have also been considering a Cinestar 6 frame; due to wind stability. But and slightly unsure about redundancy and efficiency/flight times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

not sure if you considered getting spares too.. Interesting setup.. how did you consider props size or is that just the list of options you are looking at? Also, what made you choose WKM over other FC?

Just interested in response.... I don't have much experience.. but I choose S800/WKM, and another F550/WKM Futaba S-Bus.. I ended up with the Alware Pro V3 gimbal... but I did not spend much time researching.

KS

Yes I will get spares, I am a bit unsure about how many spares of everything I should get. Also on my spares list was:
4x booms
2x motors
1x esc

Those props are just a selection of props to test, I know the 11x5s work but also want to try and get something larger to work.
I have thought long and hard, I want wkm because of the ease of use. I have some experience with dji as I have a f550 and want to stick with them.

I like the s800 but i need to be able to change cameras for different shoots.

for my S800, I ended up purchasing about 10 pairs of these:
View attachment 5262View attachment 5263
from http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1555-carbon-fiber-propeller-cwccw-p-542.html

But I just saw this guy.. that looks to have the same as OEM and looks even less for 2 pairs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pairs-Carbon-Fiber-1565-15x6-5-CW-CCW-Counter-Rotating-Propellers-/180901215463?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1e8d7ce7#ht_1611wt_936

I may ended up getting 4 pairs of those 1565 from that A1 Hobby group to try. I also see that he has some other knockoff of the DJI F550 ARF kits.. I could use several of those too.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you end up.

Regards,

Attachments

• DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 356

Ive seen in the past that 11-12" props have been the best combo on Octos with WKM. And it was known that larger props weren't smooth. But then on the s800 they run 15" props and are smooth. Has something changed? Because surely that would mean everyone would be running 14-15" props on their Octos, but I haven't heard of any one that could get big props working smooth.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
HI Ryan, its hard to say which props will work best. The variables that are important are the the KV of the motors additionally the voltage used 4s 5s 6s. In my eyes also which ESCs you are using multi rotor specific FW or not etc.

One thing though always stayed the same for me when it comes to WKM setups its more crucial with a WKM setup than with others to have light props. So whatever size pitch etc. you want to try out choose those props that are lighter.

If you look at the 15 x5 from DJI they are 14 gr. which is very light for a props of that size.

Boris

Thanks for that, So the 15x5.5 fox tech props are 14g each also, so in theory they should work well with WKM?
What props are you running on your Cinestar now BorisS?
Im still unsure about running 4/5/6s batteries I know the s800 runs on 6s, but from what I've seen is 4s is the most common on the cinestar/ or any octo thats not the s800.

BorisS I know you tested 6 batteries but never found your results of those tests, could you share those with me?

Cheers Ryan

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am using 12 x 3.8 CF props from the MK shop 11 grams and I am using the 13 x 6.5 ( not sure is the pitch is correct ) from aerobat also around 14 grams. Graupner the 11 x 5 were also fine but flight times were better with the bigger props.

Concering 4s 5s 6s. I prefer 4s on the CS8 WKM since with 5s 6s no matter which gains I used the copter was very nervous, but this could have been an WKM Herkules ESCs thing and could be different with other ESCs. Its something you won't get around testing with the CC ESCs. Haven't seen to many feedback on the CC ESCs/motor combos voltage etc.

Before you step into buying Maxamps or other expensive Lipos i would get some nano tech or zippy 4s 5s 6s just for testing.

Boris

Ok I will try one of each first then. 4s/5s/6s and see what i find.
So your using both 12 and 13" props, do you change them around for certain situations? Or is one set better than the others?
I was planning on buying it. What are your thoughts on it?

I just searched on google and could not find any weight on the Graupner 14x8 props, does any one know their weight?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I prefer the 12 x 3.8 when it windier.

I think is getting more and more to the point were I would recommend S-bus futaba with WKM. Its been 2 to 3 times now that FW bugs only effected user with traditional PWM setups. So DJI seems to test more with S-bus setups etc. Thats one reason the other reason is that S-bus allows a much easier failsafe setup. I am not suer never really looked closer in the the skeptrum stuff do they have s-bus PPM out etc. I think they have something of their own or and traditional PWM ?

Cornering the Radio itself i can't give an opinion

And this also came to my mind lets see if someone knows :

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4809-Failsafe-Connection-oss-S-bus-PPM-PWM

Ok i see, I have my f550 set up with s-bus using my futaba t8fg. Its a good remote but I would like reliable telemetry system.
The I also like the tray style radio and think it would be very comfortable.
I don't want to get a 18MZ as they are crazy expensive. So If I got another t8fg, what would you recommend for telemetry? I want the most reliable system possible.

Cheers Ryan

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thats the thing Futaba Tele. is not that great and not even out yet or ?

At the same time there is some development with DJI, they are/will be offering some OSD Telemetery transmitter and than they are coming out with their Ruling, FPV on the Radio with OSD etc.

I am in a waiting position with that using an Graupner MX 22 with a Futaba/Robbe module so i can have Fasst and S-bus.

The Jeti stuff is good http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?page=products&old=0&category=73 in combo with their telemetry, now interesting since DJi supports PPM.

This also open source FPV OSD etc. http://www.os-rc.com/ could turn out to be very cool.

If i would have to choose at the moment i wouldn't. I would buy a cheap futaba or use the one you have, get a basic Voltage Amp secondary Telementry system hooked up. Separate infos box etc. And wait for the cool stuff to come out !

Boris

Ok so stick with futaba, but then how do i do telemetry, doesn't look like the jeti works with futaba, only with their own remotes?
What do you mean by secondary telemetry system?
I know about Quantum telemetry from hobby king, its quiet cheap so a bit unsure about it, especially when relying on it with 10k or so in the air.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I use the quantum for now. Its **** no question or lets say low quality the way its made etc. But i wouldn't consider the quantum to be the reason that something happens to my Setup. If i see irregular readings I know lets take it down and not go to the lipo limit etc. I didn't use the current sensor though didn't trust it.

But for the time being I can except it as a workaround.

Boris

Ok so is there no simple option for a bolt on telemetry unit? Ive seen the eagle tree seagull but its a decent amount of money, I would rather buy a transmitter with it built in, if thats the case.

I am using a Spektrum DX8 with build in telemetry plus altitude and have no problems at all. I know a lot of people don't like Spektrum so read about it before jumping in.

As for the props the Axi 2814 I believe are too small for anything larger than 13x4. But all depends on how much weight you want to lift. Graupners shape makes them different than other props. A 11x5 is simillar to a 10x4 in APC size. A lot of people say that DJI wkm flies better with Graupner but the main reason is that WKm likes smaller props.

The Cinestar frame is very nice, much much better than any soft wobbly plastic frame. There are cheaper carbon fiber choises lately.

The cc esc are nice, other alternatives are the Herkules 3 and the new Autoquad 32 esc.

For the PH gimbal I am not sure if that is a good idea. By the time it will be out I am sure DJI will offer upgrades for the new gen of cameras that are comming.

tppeng

There are plenty, try RCLogger with their 2.4 Telemetry (no interference with your radio guranteed by manufacturer)

I am using a Spektrum DX8 with build in telemetry plus altitude and have no problems at all. I know a lot of people don't like Spektrum so read about it before jumping in.
What are the main points about spektrum?

As for the props the Axi 2814 I believe are too small for anything larger than 13x4. But all depends on how much weight you want to lift. Graupners shape makes them different than other props. A 11x5 is simillar to a 10x4 in APC size. A lot of people say that DJI wkm flies better with Graupner but the main reason is that WKm likes smaller props.
I did wonder about the max prop size, I thought I had seen people using them with the axi 14" props?
If I want to fly a 5D max, could I run 14" props.
You say DJI works better with smaller props, everything I have read, previous to the s800 being released said that too, but then it has 15" props and seems to be very good.

The Cinestar frame is very nice, much much better than any soft wobbly plastic frame. There are cheaper carbon fiber choises lately.

The cc esc are nice, other alternatives are the Herkules 3 and the new Autoquad 32 esc.

For the PH gimbal I am not sure if that is a good idea. By the time it will be out I am sure DJI will offer upgrades for the new gen of cameras that are comming.
What are the DJI upgrades your referring too?

Cheers Ryan