Critique please

matwelli

First go at real estate video

Outside shot was with waypoints set up, so as to fly at a constant speed and keep the multirotor within the property boundary
Inside video was holding the multi rotor by hand and walking thru the house.

The stills were shot with a fuji fine pix. I didn't think the video captured the lounge properly so added the still shot (panorama from two shots) and the ensuite and bathroom couldn't be done by the walkthru without ending up seeing myself in the mirrors !
I used Eric Matyas music (thanks Eric), but haven't put credits on as the video is not for public showing yet.
Here is the same house listed with a real estate company
https://www.professionals.co.nz/property/NAKI1525/90a-karina-road-merrilands/
Good honest suggestions please

dazzab

I haven't done any real estate shots but I do have a photographic background. I'd say if this is your first go at it then you are well on your way. There are small things like the jerky tilt at one point but I'm sure the more you shoot the better it will look. Unless you were lucky, you seem to understand balanced light and keeping the perspective correct. There are others here with more specific experience that probably will be more helpful. I hope you were paid properly as my only worry about real estate work is that it doesn't seem to pay appropriately and that there are a lot of hobbyists out there willing to work for next to nothing, if not for free.

FerdinandK

I have no photographic background, but I already visited quite a number of houses as a prospect. What I want to see is (as view from above) where the house is located (which you did) and also I would like to see a panoramic turn with the cam also showing the horizon (to get an imagination of the area, the landscape). What I want to see also is something like a POI of the house. If you want to do a cool shot, you start the POI (of the house) at a nice spot (e.g. a nice window) where you look inside. Start to turn, start to raise and start to increase the radius (all at the same time) and towards the end you raise strong pitch the cam down to end the shot with a top view of the property and you render that in the video reverse.

Since this house is only one level, it is difficult, the thing I thought was "ok, that is the roof". Here you have to fly at a quite low angle.

For the inside views I would like to see a bigger angle, also a GoPro would be great, with this (75°) I get a cramped impression, it all looks small. Also if you enter a room, only turn into one direction (cut before you change the turning direction).

The same is for the photos, you need a wider view, here you also can do a panorama, I (as a prospect) want to get a complete view of a room.

Also there is nothing special about this video, this was not a special time (of the year, of the day) there was nothing special to see (a plant, a nice detail) there was no special technique (an HDR Panorama at the evening, where you can see the room, and the lights in the dark outside through the open window. Could also be a person introducing the house. (A night-shot from above, a nightshot-panorama from above, a night-shot panorama from one special point of the property where you also can see the stars). Some bunch of flowers in a room, one stone, one daisy from the back yard.

best regards
Ferdinand

matwelli

I haven't done any real estate shots but I do have a photographic background. I'd say if this is your first go at it then you are well on your way. There are small things like the jerky tilt at one point but I'm sure the more you shoot the better it will look. Unless you were lucky, you seem to understand balanced light and keeping the perspective correct. There are others here with more specific experience that probably will be more helpful. I hope you were paid properly as my only worry about real estate work is that it doesn't seem to pay appropriately and that there are a lot of hobbyists out there willing to work for next to nothing, if not for free.
Thanks for that, yes that jerk in the shot is a pain, need to be a bit smother :)

matwelli

I have no photographic background, but I already visited quite a number of houses as a prospect. What I want to see is (as view from above) where the house is located (which you did) and also I would like to see a panoramic turn with the cam also showing the horizon (to get an imagination of the area, the landscape). What I want to see also is something like a POI of the house. If you want to do a cool shot, you start the POI (of the house) at a nice spot (e.g. a nice window) where you look inside. Start to turn, start to raise and start to increase the radius (all at the same time) and towards the end you raise strong pitch the cam down to end the shot with a top view of the property and you render that in the video reverse.

Since this house is only one level, it is difficult, the thing I thought was "ok, that is the roof". Here you have to fly at a quite low angle.

For the inside views I would like to see a bigger angle, also a GoPro would be great, with this (75°) I get a cramped impression, it all looks small. Also if you enter a room, only turn into one direction (cut before you change the turning direction).

The same is for the photos, you need a wider view, here you also can do a panorama, I (as a prospect) want to get a complete view of a room.

Also there is nothing special about this video, this was not a special time (of the year, of the day) there was nothing special to see (a plant, a nice detail) there was no special technique (an HDR Panorama at the evening, where you can see the room, and the lights in the dark outside through the open window. Could also be a person introducing the house. (A night-shot from above, a nightshot-panorama from above, a night-shot panorama from one special point of the property where you also can see the stars). Some bunch of flowers in a room, one stone, one daisy from the back yard.

best regards
Ferdinand
Hi Ferdinand, great response, lots to think over !
for the inside video I am building a rig for the gopro today, am worried the gopro fisheye effect will be distracting, but will give it a go.
Funnily enough the first video, starting from above, and ending down at the front of the house was shot in the opposite direction, then reveresd in final editing.
Will work on the move that you describe.
Yea, i should have been lower for longer around the house, too much roof.
Need to do a script of the different shots to collect :)
Will think about the rest....limited in what time of day we have access to the houses for video work, and flying at night is illegal over here unless its low level.

Attachments

• 20160104_100539 (2).jpg
    20160104_100539 (2).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 306

violetwolf

Agree with the wider lens suggestions. A 16 to 24mm zoom is your best friend for interior shots. Gopro would be too wide IMO.

The other thing I'd like the panning to be just a tiny bit slower but that's personal taste. Also you get less distortion from rolling shutter effect.

All in all pretty good so far!

matwelli

Funny, did some lens testing (the inside video was done with phantom P3P camera) with a hero 3 black, wide mode, fish eye removed - the P3P is a photo, the gopro is a still grabbed from vid (so i could test fish eye reduction)
View attachment 27230 View attachment 27231
The P3p shot is 4:3 and color is out (was set on "cloudy") but if you count the boards, the gopro "wide" is slightly wider than the P3P
Interestingly the gopro was set to 1080P , but after fish eye reduction the size was 960 by 540
Overall the Wide setting on GOpro with fish eye removed is not much wider than the P3P camera.

A wide lens and a decent DLSR is next on the list, but better start making a few dollars first :)

Heres the stabilized gopro rig
View attachment 27232 View attachment 27233

Attachments

• P3P.JPG
    P3P.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Wide FER.jpg
    Wide FER.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 20160104_151802.jpg
    20160104_151802.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 20160104_151809.jpg
    20160104_151809.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

Agree with the wider lens suggestions. A 16 to 24mm zoom is your best friend for interior shots. Gopro would be too wide IMO.

The other thing I'd like the panning to be just a tiny bit slower but that's personal taste. Also you get less distortion from rolling shutter effect.

All in all pretty good so far!
Thanks for that :) in theory the P3p camera is a 20mm equivalent