Creativity vs Safety

dazzab

This has to be one of the most creative videos I've seen done from a multirotor. It also seems very unsafe. Would you do such a shoot? No way it would ever be approved in Australia.

Here is a pic of the rig they used:
http://instagram.com/p/sY1QFWiSqg/

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Erm, apart from flying way too high at the end there's nothing wrong with that shoot. Legal in the UK. You could get an exemption to fly that high from the CAA if you find the right location.

And remember, they are in another country with different rules.

What is it specifically you have a problem with?

dazzab

What is it specifically you have a problem with?
Haven't you ever seen a multirotor fall from the sky? It's NEVER safe to fly directly over people. I suppose someone will have to die before people figure that out. I would never stand under a multi let alone fly it over a crowd of people. These copters are hobby grade at best. It's simply not responsible to take such risks IMHO. I can assure you that there would be no way this would be possible in Australia because you would have to make a safety case to prove it was safe. I find it hard to believe that anyone could do that. But as I said, until someone is killed no one is going to believe it.

Interestingly enough, there's a case in progress right now in Australia where a women competing in a marathon was hit by a copter which went out of control. It will be interesting to see how that pans out as the pilot was not certified or insured. One thing is for sure, the publicity it's receiving isn't making it any easier for the rest of us.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Dazzab,
We service the Studio Production Aerial filming companies and most likely this was done a closed set with "sterile" conditions. Each "actor" is in meetings describing the shoot and the risks. Additionally, the aerial crew are VERY experienced and safety plans in place. Please understand that there will always be risks associated with flying over people, But the risk of actual serious or fatal injury is far less than the alternative of a full size helicopter which was the only option prior to the Multirotor Aerial Filming Platform. One way or the other, they would have filmed this.

Benjamin Kenobi

Now the important point you mentioned there is 'people' or in the UK, the public. You can't fly directly over (within 50m during flight) the public or anyone not under your control. The actors in the above video are part of the crew and therefore under your control, providing you gave them a safety brief before the flight commenced.

The safety case is easy surely? Have a secondary landing zone for emergencies, if a fault is detected move to safe location. If total system failure warn those in operating area to 'clear the area' (ideally in their native tongue for the above video!).

dazzab

Dazzab,
We service the Studio Production Aerial filming companies and most likely this was done a closed set with "sterile" conditions. Each "actor" is in meetings describing the shoot and the risks. Additionally, the aerial crew are VERY experienced and safety plans in place. Please understand that there will always be risks associated with flying over people, But the risk of actual serious or fatal injury is far less than the alternative of a full size helicopter which was the only option prior to the Multirotor Aerial Filming Platform. One way or the other, they would have filmed this.
I understand and agree with you. I actually side on the side of getting the shot and mitigating the risk. But I've been pulled back from that view quite a bit as I become more educated and experienced. The safety here was non existent. That copter didn't even have a parachute system. Why not? I believe in some countries that is required. Mark my words, and I reserve the right to say I told you so, someone is going to get seriously hurt. Then the rules are going to change. I think Australia is just a bit ahead of the game when it comes to safety requirements.

Copters are time bombs just waiting to go off, no matter how well they are maintained. You can have a hundred successful flights and then be bitten. It's just a matter of time.

dazzab

Do they require parachute systems in Australia?
Not yet. But I don't believe our regulator would approve such a shoot for anyone. If they did I think the least of the requirements would be a parachute. That copter went to 2600 feet altitude. Just imagine if it experienced a fault. It would come down fast and not necessarily over the set where you had control. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's all food for thought. Thanks.

Benjamin Kenobi

The height is one thing I don't agree with! Way too high. No way you could maintain line of sight at that altitude.

cootertwo

That's the most creative video I've seen in a long time. I can't even imagine the practice that had to take place. Very nice in my opinion.:tennis:

jdennings

Some clever CGI in there for the higher shots? Also, the last high altitude sequences may have been taken from way further away ...

scotth

Could be worse... you could get hit by a Pinto being dropped by a helicopter from a mile up.